Fixing the Romag Earth Temple Quest

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Zebedee, Dec 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've spent a couple of days going through this.

Basically Romag's conversation about Rentsch being dead relies on game flag 88 being raised.

Looking through the files, there seem to be only two ways for this flag to be raised:

in py110dick

def san_dying( attachee, triggerer ):
    game.quests[39].state = qs_botched
    game.global_flags[88] = 1
    return RUN_DEFAULT

(I'm guessing this means that the player kills Rentsch)

and in py00113wat

def kill_dick( attachee ):
    game.timevent_add( kill_dick_callback, ( attachee, ), 14400000 ) # call kill_dick_callback in 4 hours
    return SKIP_DEFAULT

def kill_dick_callback( attachee ):
    npc = find_npc_near(attachee,8018)
    if (npc != OBJ_HANDLE_NULL):
    npc.object_flag_set(OF_OFF)
    game.global_flags[88] = 1
    return SKIP_DEFAULT

(I think that this means that at least 4 hours (gametime or realtime?) have to have passed before the flag will be raised).

Now assuming that this flag is being raised correctly (I don't know if it is) the following options should become available in 00119romag :

{245}{Rentsch lies dead as we speak.}{}{8}{game.global_flags[88] == 1}{270}{}

ie Rentsch is dead.

or (if you accept the letter and return to Romag):

{315}{I tried to deliver your note to Rentsch, but Rentsch is dead!}{}{8}{( ( game.global_flags[119] == 0 ) and ( game.global_flags[88] == 1 ) and ( game.quests[44].state == qs_accepted ) ) or ( game.global_flags[124] == 1 )}{380}{}

ie Player hasn't been given quest to kill Alrrem's underlings (flag 119), Rentsch is dead and the letter quest has been accepted. Or something else.

or

{321}{No one's going to be giving Rentsch any messages now. He's dead!}{}{8}{game.global_flags[119] == 0 and game.global_flags[88] == 1 and game.quests[44].state == qs_mentioned}{270}{}

ie Alrrem's underlings quest hasn't been give, Rentsch is dead and the letter quest has been mentioned.

Now I haven't been able to figure out what flag 124 is. Yet. But it shouldn't matter because it is an 'or' clause.

Looking at the commands, there isn't really anything wrong with them, unless flag 88 isn't being raised. The problem is, that there isn't really a good way to change Wat's dlg file to set the flag. Rentsch has to be dead in order for the player to be told he is dead so I can't see a way to put in a failsafe. eg It would be rather silly for the player to be told Rentsch has been seen to when he is standing a few feet away, live and well. So if this part of the py00113wat script isn't working then it's all screwed up.

Moving on a little. There is room for a lot of confusion because killing Alrrem's underlings isn't actually set as a new quest. Killing them and returning to Romag, completes the letter delivery quest. It's possible to create a new quest here using quest 94 and rewriting a lot of Romag's script and then cross-checking across with Alrrem's, Tolab's and Antonio's scripts to make sure that this doesn't create any unwanted sideeffects. I can then sleep quest 44 at the appropriate places.

Question time:

could someone explain the py files to me please? Are they written properly?

could someone point me to a guide on creating quests? I can then whip out the necessary changes.

I'm running a party through the game now so I can test this (and several other things), but I figured it might be an idea to let the boffins have a look and offer a little guidance ;)

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

3. Zebedee

Thanks Ted.

Just need to get to the bottom of this flag 88 trigger now.

4. Shiningted

Can't rememebr if it is in the tutorial, but to make new quests u need to fiddle:

data/rules/gamequest.mes (1 entry)

data/mes/gamequestlog.mes (2 entries)

Note where the spaces are between lines, I have found these files can be very temperamental.

5. Zebedee

Yeah, going to get a test party to the right level before implementing any changes to my own game. Then I'll test and test and test again before offering it up to anyone else to test.

So don't expect anything too soon. It's being done, just slowly. Measure twice, cut once.

edit: well, here it is.

A word of caution: unzip this archive and then place the files in the correct folders. I have not done anything fancy to allow you to directly extract this to the right places. Make a backup of your data folder when testing any fixes. You've been warned...

This fix should now allow Rentsch to be reported as dead to Romag. This will botch the letter delivery quest but will open up killing Alrrem's underlings as a brand new quest. Thanks to Allyx (as ever) and Ted for their help, advice and tutorials.

Any problems, let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  6. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

What is the status of this quest after all these years? I think it would be fine if the letter does not exist if Romag is killed.

7. Zebedee

I've no idea :) Might be an idea to check the relevant files in latest CMF/v5.

One thing is for certain though, before removing anything you have to check there will be no unintended consequences ;)

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Ive been playing the updated (latest patch and Co8 mod added) version of TOEE and just noticed this same problem with the Romag quest.

I set up and completed the triple cross prior to entering the temple. I've completed Romag's first quest and have gotten the letter for the second quest. I've returned to Nulb, verfiied that Romag "was taken care of" and therefore dead /missing.

I return to Romag and now he and everyone else in the earth temple is hostile.

Did I mess something up previously , waited to long to get back to Romag, or is this still a pre-exisitng file/software/etc problem?

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Never mind my first post. When I went back to play again last night the "violent" situation did not occur. The quests for Romage continued as normal. Has this happened to anyone beofre? Just curious.

10. Shiningted

Its not unknown for Romag and his boyos to go hostile if you get an NPC such as Meleney too near them, even if you have the robes on etc.

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Really?! I was unaware of this. The first time I played through I didn't bother with NPC's in my party until I was ready to ake down Zuggy. Is there a reason why an NPC in a party might cause this reaction? Is this due to a *bug*, the actual scripting, or something less known and possibly more sinsiter?

12. Basil the Timid

Spoiler needed. How does one open Romag's magically sealed rooms? Or is there something from elsewhere needed?

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If it's the stairwells, they are accesible / sealed from both sides.

14. Basil the Timid

Huh? You lost me there GA. Are you saying that I must approach from a different level? Or what unseals that small room/area?

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The magically held doors don't seem to unseal, but you can access (approach) them from both sides (above and below). I don't know why they are magically held. This assumes we are talking about the same doors, on the first (top or highest or ground) level.

Sorry I was not clear about what I meant. I'm a Math Instructor. It's my job to be incromprehensible.

Our Host!