Stacking issues

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I'll look at that Sitra. :)
    Definitely - but they have to be written. The game is currently set up that monsters never flee or sue for mercy, they just fight to the death - even if its a peasant child or babushka - and if you knock them out, they wake up later and keep going. We have to write all the alternatives before we can provide weapons that initiate them.

Regarding Calm Emotioms, Basil, I had a look at it but all it does is add the condition 'Calm Emotions' to things. What that does, or doesn't do, or should do but won't, I have no idea :shrug: Thats the way the game works, it adds conditions and then if necessary adds other conditions to suppress them. Its not easy to just remove a condition. Of course thats good with Calm Emotions since it is not meant to Dispel things but just surpress them for the length of its own duration, but we can't add an extra line saying, 'suppress this condition too!' Annoying really: the ability to just turn things off is really needed in this game.

EDIT: Ok, I tested that Sitra, it does indeed work in combat, but it works in real time, not 'assumed game time' where-in combat rounds last 10 seconds (or whatever it is in 3.5). So if a PC takes a 5-foot step then Dimension Doors, the timed event will occur on the next character's go: but if they cast the spell first, it will occur while the computer waits for the player to choose to 5-foot step or not.

Very difficult to control events like that - a player can always wait it out on their own turn for whatever is meant to happen - so a limited use, but it does work. Doubtless there are uses for it - good pickup Sitra :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

From what I recall the problem was similar to the one with quests not passing time properly unless you left the map. Same issue I think.

Wonder if it's actually a dll hack to fix it?

3. Incarnadine

Incarnadine Member

Stunning fist does work (I've seen it), but since it's a fortitude save, it will tend to work better against that annoying wizard than against that raging ogre barbarian. It doesn't always make it clear that it's worked, though; you have to mouse over the opponent and see if it's got the stunned condition.

That's because the spell compendium is exclusively non-core spells; it's a repository for most of the spells from the supplemental books like the Complete series and the like. Sound Burst is in core.

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Sorry, Ted, I just noticed about Fear which causes the Panicked state:

A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a -2 penalty on all saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers. A panicked creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.

5. Shiningted

Oooo, I know a few spellcasters who cast 'Fear' - that'll be good to use against the party :)
    I don't see it as a bug per se, just the game handling time differently in and out of combat (and in and out of dialogue, for that matter). Not really that different to PnP when you go from turns to rounds, and speaking is a free action :shrug: Just that much harder for us to time precise events.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I've figured so.
    Lots of doable spells btw ;) ( chain magic missile? :yikes: )
    Plus, i couldn't find it in the core...i was searching the spell in the "S"...and my 3.5 book is in spanish (i should have looked in E) *sigh* :no:

7. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

One man's bug is another man's working as designed ;) I came to the conclusion it wasn't working as designed because it just did not function within combat as it seemed it should. Having the two similar commands implied that one was for outside combat and one within, to account for the differing time scales. Much as the two forms of NPC types work. If you see what I mean... :Crazy_Tig

But who knows if it can be fixed without the sourcecode or something equally as substantial? :cartman:

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Probably not a spell that is going to ever be cast in KotB, but certainly should stun its victims... Power Word Stun I beleive Darmagon added it in unless I'm very much mistaken. I've never cast his version of it, my version was fun to cast at the Welcolme Wench's unsuspecting patrons though. :)

9. Basil the Timid

According to 5.0.0 release notes, Power Word Stun was not part of the list of spells added by Darmagon. Is there a more up to date list?

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Was it not? I thought it was, I don't actually have the game installed atm, or even the disks to install it with.

11. Basil the Timid

Would it be possible to add the synergy that Tumble 5+ ranks gives to Total Defense (+2 AC) and Fighting Defensively (+1 AC)?

12. Shiningted

Not without a .dll hack.

13. Basil the Timid

My 9th level PC Monk just took the Improved Two-weapon Fighting feat. He should have five attacks, but it is clear that the Flurry is no longer functioning for him as it did for levels 1-8. Is there a # of attacks ceiling?

I should mention that the only way I got regular Two-weapon Fighting to work in the first place in conjunction with Flurry was to equip a kama in the off-hand. Obviously, not a desirable solution unless it is crafted to do elemental damage as well - then it's cool!

I was just reminded that Shuriken should be a Flurriable weapon, but I am going to guess nothing can be done about that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  14. Basil the Timid

How does the game (not RAW) handle the strength bonuses between these spells:
    Enlarge Person
    Divine Power
    Righteous Fury

I'm wondering why the first two can't be set up to execute as well as Righteous Might

Edit: Am I correct that potions should not have any weight despite the 1 pound notation? I have noticed that stacking potions does add encumberance.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  15. Shiningted

Hmmm. Judging by your first post, Basil, the game seems to do them as enhancement bonuses. Co8 added the changes to Size category and Reach, but those are cosmetic (with respect to the Strength bonus). We can't mod the bonus easily: the game simply adds the condition 'enlarged' or 'enrighteously mighty', and if that condition works as an enhancement bonus rather than some other form of bonus, we'd have to hack the .dll to change it.
    Well, they weight 1 pound, so they weigh 1 pound? :shrug: Are you suggesting they shouldn't weigh 1 pound? I can't see the problem. Or do they only weigh one pound when stacked?

Loved the 'stacking' segue, btw ;)

Our Host!