HELP Error Launching Game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Aug 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

@Basil -- I EDITed my post, hopefully it's much clearer that formatting was a joke.

As far as partitioning goes, it's like formatting -- don't do it if you don't know how it works. If you have separate physical drives, YOU have to treat them as separate drives (unless you know more about RAID or JBOD than you do about operating systems. The way Windows works, you are better off keeping all of your programs on the C:\ drive. I used to separate my Windoze and Program drives, and it always ended up sucking. Now, separate partitions for data (My Documents, mp3s, your mom's p0rn collection, etc.), system recovery, swap files, etc. make sense, but again, you have to know what you are doing. Or, if you;re administering a *nix machine and want to "dual boot" between multiple kernel images; but Windoze makes it hard at best.

That said, if it's done, it's done. Don't reconfigure your system if what you have works. The prior sentence is probably the most important of all system administration advice.

--thearioch

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Interesting that you say I had a choice about partitioning. The computer guys that sold me the machine said XP requires the partition. Whatever! The problem, as mentioned above, turned out to be some bad interaction with the CDs Autorun.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I think in future I'm going to begin any help with installing with: Is your PC switched on? :beer:

Glad you're sorted now though :)

4. Basil the Timid

That's right, laugh it up Zeb & Arioch. I am way behind on the learning curve, I know, but that is partially because I hadn't seen English windows until about 1999. I had to struggle with everything literally in Chinese.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Bah, those smartass nerds don't know what's to have a system in another language. :rant:

Basil, about partitioning:
    You don't have to do it. Example: my old PC had three separate drivers (disks, what's the fucking word?) but i had only one partitioned. Everything that matter was on C: , the other where for trash and :pirate: and booting the system.
    Now, i only have one drive, not partitioned (C: ), and everything seems to work fine.
    Maybe that's why my install it's so stable.
    I've only reinstalled two or three times, mainly cos i've fiddled so much with files that i didn't know what was original or new and i wanted all fresh. But i never had to reinstall because a real problem. I just followed Zeb's guide and never had problems, even the first time i came around here.

Of course, my PC has the strange habit to fix on it's own. The first time i had the problem of "being naked-and-no-money" on Allyx map, but when i closed and started again, everything was fine. When the Windows/AVG problems appeared, my install was absolutely fucked up, i was going to reinstall everything, but i launched the game, and everything was fixed. :scratchhe

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Don't see Zeb, which one's Arioch?

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'm not laughing at you Basil. Just reminding myself that I need to start from the basics with everybody no matter how advanced a PC user they come across as :)

Chinese windows makes me shudder btw - my gf once changed my settings to purely Chinese and it took me 4 hours to figure out how to put them back... :D

9. thearioch

Basil said
    Basil, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you :) Really -- there is no insult meant. And, FWIW, since most of the good component manufacturers are Asian, I get cursed by having to read manuals written by people who don't speak English as a native language. Think of it as revenge.

@GA -- I haven't posted in the cam-ho thread yet, so I'm pretty impressed by Gaear's clip selection -- I would be front and center.

@ALL -- I hope nobody feels insulted by me -- I don't mind helping out technically, but I think that there is some sort of curse on techies that requires us to make one obscure technical joke for every piece of useful information we share.
    --thearioch

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  10. thearioch

Basil said
    If that's what you were sold, that's what you were sold. If it works in general, don't change it. Some people hear about partitioning (without knowing what it means) and want to do it because they heard it helped someone else. All I was saying was "don't do it if you don't know why." The reverse also applies -- if the people who built your system set it up that way, don't try to change it just because someone like me says it isn't always necessary.

The reason I advise against it in general is that it causes more registry conflicts than not doing it. But there can be advantages, so if whoever built your system knows what they're doing, don't even think about changing it because of someone [me] talks about the general case.

Anyway, I'm glad you resolved your problem -- I've seen that happen occasionally, but it's not the first thing people usually think of.

--thearioch

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I know not to look for your avatar. That's my old friend HAL. Funny guy. Locked me out once. About 7 years ago. Or was it 40?

So, when are you going to post on cam-hos? Even I have posted. No wait, bad example...

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Basil, regarding your question -

There are two ways about it. One is to copy the entire ToEE folder, as is, with Co8 5.0.0 + CMF 5.0.6 already properly installed, then install the mod on top of it. You can switch up the first two steps (copying the folder and installing the 'basis' mods/patches -Atari Patch 2 + Co8 5.0.6)

The other way is to create a new module inside the pre-existing folder. This consists of creating a copy of the Data folder and Co8.5.0.0 folder (inside Modules), and probably something else too. I'm a little leery of making you go that route, though, because it's more complicated. So unless you need to save space on the harddrive, just do the former.

13. Basil the Timid

It seems that all is well with Sitra's mod next to 506 and ToEE. Thanks to all who helped.

Our Host!