Torrenting Co8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, Aug 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
?

If a torrent was available which contained all the current and up-to-date work and a

Poll closed Oct 10, 2008.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. The Big Lebowski is a great film too

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Doh - the full question is:

If a torrent was available which contained all the current and up-to-date work and a comprehensive install guide, would that be of benefit to you or would it have been of benefit when you first started to use Co8?

As most of us know, the majority of Co8's work is now available for direct download from sites like ModDB thanks to a lot of work by Gaear and Ted to find such sites. Before that we were totally reliant on the gracious hosting of Taluntain at sorcerors.net and our other kind hosts of days gone by.

As a complement and an additional way in which to get hold of Co8, I'm considering (given no major objections and subject to strict conditions ie that the work put up is what we recommend on these forums as the best install) setting up a permanent seed for a torrent with all that work in as I now have a guaranteed 16 mb/s internet connection 24/7 and can devote up to a third of that capacity to Co8. The torrent would [edit: acutally meant 'could' but Freudian's lip ;) ] also contain a complete how to install guide, as well as a totally up-to-date set of patches ranging from No-Cd to Mods which have not been put in as part of Co8 official releases.

Obviously one seed would not be the ideal solution, but hopefully people will at least ensure that they upload as much as they download and so keep the torrent going at a steady pace.

Feedback would be appreciated on whether this is worthwhile to do and how useful it may or may not be.

Personally, I feel it may take some of the trauma of finding specific downloads and putting them on in the right order out of ToEE installation. Having every single patch and fix in one folder (at the moment it's around 200mb without any of the additional modules) is my idea of heaven.

Honest feedback would be good, so if you're a guest browsing this thread, sign up to the forums or log in and let us know whether or not a torrent would make obtaining and installing Co8 an easier process.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

*struggles to avoid clicking the big lebowski option*

i say yes :)

I 've done a ToEE pack, which contains exactly what your thread of careful installation mentions, so it's very easy reinstall everything if i need to.
    Having something available as torrent, would make people's job more easier.
    Not that it is too hard atm, being a computer moron myself, i didn't have any problems at all, but the majority of players don't even want to reply to a thread, look at instructions, or think about all the work this cost, they just want to click and play.

And complaint :roll:

Btw, the Lebowski option it's too tempting, it's going to win the poll :D

3. Zebedee

There has to be a big Lebowski option. And it has to be tempting because if it wins, I can say that I can do what the hell I want because the community doesn't care :evilgrin: And we don't talk about Coen brothers films enough on this forum... general discussion shall henceforth be known as.... 'Dude.com'.

More seriously, while many people do have access to fast internet now which makes direct downloads easy, there are still many people reliant on much slower internet speeds for whom a torrent is a better alternative.

Trying to make installation totally idiotproof if people do not wish to read basic instruction is always going to be an exercise in futility, but in combination with the 'new' site layout and simple step-by-step instructions I know I certainly would have found it much easier to get things up and running than used to be the case. The frontend helps an awful lot too ;)

My main thought about having everything required in one torrented file is that people then always have a backup of everything, as you said, and even better it's already done for them. The other great advantage is that people may be more willing to try new things if they only are required to unzip (or unrar) them rather than find the link and download. I know because I'm lazy too :love:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  4. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Dude, what's a torrent?

Seriously, do you expect people who can't navigate to "Downloads" -> "Installation and Usage Instructions" and then pick one of two threads (let's see, "Release Notes" or "Comprehensive Installation Instructions") to use a torrent successfully? I'd say we could write a script, but then someone would have to post usage instructions...

--thearioch

5. Zebedee

No, the torrent is nothing to do with making installation fool-proof. Installation instructions with pretty pictures could be included because it's nice to do that kind of thing for people who don't have 24/7 internet access to use the forums.

The advantage of the torrent isn't that it makes the installation process less likely to be fouled up but that you have all the files you require to make a correct installation in one package.

This could be done with a direct download but then you run into the issue of the file becoming overly large to be hosted, if ya know what I mean. People will tend to shy away from a 600mb direct download because of the risk of corrupted files (if they have any sense that is) which will fubar the entire process. Don't get that with a torrent. :pinkkirby

Ignore that particular paragraph which seems to have led you astray because i was replying to an aside HK made in his post and not claiming torrenting Co8 will suddenly reduce installation problems to nil ;)

6. Half Knight

Right, now it's my fault? :rant:

After all, the thread and B Lebowski are related: it's all about lazyness :no:

Seriously speaking, with a torrent you don't have the risk of losing everything if the connection fails, or the electricity it's out, right? Another bonus, i think :)

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Saving Throw vs. clicking on Big Lebowski - Success!

And Intelligence pulls ahead of Wise-Assedness BY ONE VOTE.

(I'm already regretting my vote. Oh well, it's for the good of mankind. Stupid "maturity"!)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. Zebedee

It's always your fault HK :chairshot

And darn you for understanding what I thought was a pretty obscure connection.... :doh:

Yeah, I've been playing with Firefox's auto-reconnect feature using direct downloads of large files on a wireless network recently. And it doesn't work. That's a tad annoying when you have to start all the way from the beginning again :cry:

--------

@GuardianAngel - it's a useful little resistance roll. I failed it. Miserably ;)

9. Half Knight

Humm..my X GF used to download all kind of crap (like whitesnake or pet shop boys albums), and when the connection was out (by the examples i've mentioned, or simply by turning the PC) the download was put to "wait", and reassumed when the pc was on again. The same works for certain...equine "downloaders" ;)

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Obviously, I passed it, miserably. I'm too old to be mature. OLD+MATURE=BORED+BORING:zzz:

11. Zebedee

HK - I've just been getting file corruption after file corruption. Reminded me of the good old days with dial-up - and the corruption was happening even when using a file manager. Only just downloaded all the patches again after my PC problems today because of it. As for 'equine downloaders' - I really have to confess to being totally at a loss to what you mean. And I'm afraid to ask!

------------

GA - you wander the streets in a cherry beret. That doesn't fit the usual definition of 'boring' ;)

12. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Sorry, there's been a plethora of "less enlightened" download questions recently, I guess I got distracted.

Since the Co8 license appears to allow redistribution, I don't see any problem seeding and sourcing torrents, BUT I'd cautiously remind everybody that we there have been a lot of file corruption issues lately. Isolating download sources increases overall reliability, as only those few "originals" need be protected. That noted, nothing has attacked my patches yet, just the live installations.

I'll freely distribute as needed, but I wish Windows/AVG would stop eating my files.

--thearioch

13. Rodzaju

Rodzaju Member

I browsed torrent sites looking for interesting game content long before I became aware of Co8. It probably wouldn't make download / install any easier for me, but I may have become aware of it much earlier.

14. Zebedee

thearioch - yeah, that is an issue if other people start messing about with the torrent and setting up their own. Good point and something to consider how best to handle before setting this up should it be something which is done.

---------------------

roidzaju - interesting. I'd never considered the value of having a torrent with regards to actually finding patches etc.

Our Host!