File conflicts & Protos.tab thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Jul 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Updated 2009-11-28

This thread is dedicated to keeping an up to date protos.tab file (and possibly other files) so modders don't have to constantly reintegrate others' work when they change something.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry about that. :blush: I remember posting a mod a while ago that was initially missing something like half of it's intended contents. Apparently there's no limit to the potential for oversight. Kind of baffling, really.

Re: protos.tab, should we consider the one posted here a pre-beta version? I've got my own filled with so many changes that it's probably not recognizable anymore, but it's not ready for primetime. Should we assume that we automatically want all of each other's edits? If so, we'd be posting updates on the average of daily I'd think. Otherwise, how should it work?

3. Sitra Achara

Re: the random encounters file, that was actually a blooper on my part - I just added more stuff and fine tunings to the script that were understandably missing from the CMF. Sorry for jumping the gun there :)

As for the protos, I was just hoping to make integration easier. It's annoying to work on a long term mod and to find out that your files are hopelessly outdated every couple of CMF updates. At the very least, a changelog would be welcome so you know what to watch out for. Using a comparison program obviously is a big help, but there are times where you are not sure which line is the 'correct' one, what needs to be merged into what, new entries can mess up the alignment, etc. I think weekly updates should suffice if we opt for posting the files themselves.

Having said that, it's possible that unfinished work could be destructive without the rest of the mod present. So we may have to settle for a changelog.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There is another version of protos.tab to come out today (would have been out yesterday but the icons turned out to be wrong) but I have always intended to add an exported version for modders to plug straight in (as much as they can). And I'll fix the feat.mes file.

I like the initative here Sitra - we've needed something like this for a while (the short-lived Co8 Wiki was a similar attempt) - but I gotta say, I did ask you to post your trader's stuff in the CMF thread to avoid just such a problem.

5. Shiningted

Here is Sitra's protos.tab from above with the new masterwork monk weapons and that wretched Silver Nodachi changed to a greatsword.

EDIT: A minor thing - for little files like this, can people post them in .zip rather than .rar? I work from at least 2 PCs that don't have WinRAR, and I can't install it on the work PC - no admin priveleges :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  6. Gaear

Added:

#10023 - Half-Orc Commander's key
    #10024 - Minotaur's key

@Ted, is the protos.tab attached above the same as the last one posted in the CMF thread?

I think that we'll still have to consider the current CMF protos.tab as the working version. Attempting to post and maintain it here will likely be sketchy enough in implementation that errors will get introduced in short order. This thread can still be useful to give notice as to what has been changed though - e.g., instead of figuring out what's changed by yourself via comparison software or whatever, you need only look here for the pertinent references.

7. Shiningted

The one I attached above is a reworking of Sitra's attached prior to that, and is NOT the one in the CMF thread.

The 'use this thread to give notice' idea sounds like a very workable compromise.

8. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

I 4th that. Having a changelog here would be quite helpful.

@Sitra: If you have the time to update into the first post the entries that people place here it would be excellent.

Cuchulainn.

9. Gaear

Apologies if I sounded grumpy with that - I think I was suffering from ToEE Psychosis last night. ;)

I would very much prefer it though if we did consider the CMF protos.tab to be 'the one.' This will spare me having to run around looking for stuff elsewhere when putting together the CMF updates, and it will probably save time otherwise wasted on mistakenly modding obsolete files. The most significant implication here is of course this: if you want your proto changes to be official, post them in the CMF.

I've generally been trying to keep to a schedule of releasing a new CMF every four weeks (not in the last cycle because there were no new mods at that time), so there shouldn't typically be profound changes in that period of time. I understand there will still be a large task at hand when it comes time to integrate the more ambitious mods, but hopefully that will be mitigated by discussing our planned changes here (and documenting released ones accordingly).

Incidentally, I've been considering releasing the stuff I've been working on in a more piecemeal fashion rather than in one monolithic mod dump. That would probably help too.

10. Sitra Achara

Well, I usually refrain from posting incomplete mods into the CMF thread, but it could be done that way if you prefer.

Meanwhile, I've uploaded the most up to date protos.tab and description.mes files, in zip format as per Ted's request. If we choose to carry on with this in the CMF thread, feel free to move them there, or to ask me to do so.

11. Shiningted

Well I am about to fix the models for those weapons I added, so I guess the question is, will this protos.tab do weird things if added to a normal CMF?

12. Gaear

Hm. This is a complicated issue. I keep thinking that we should start a separate internal dev patch for our new/unfinished stuff, but somehow that seems like it would ultimately just add more work. Plus, the GP are basically our beta testers anyhow, so a dev patch would probably never get tested anyway.

There doesn't seem to be any really good answer to this atm.

13. Shiningted

The new protos.tab I just posted to fix the weapons problem contains the changes below. They're just misnumbered model number for 4426-4442: may be just as easy to fix them by hand. Built on the previous CMF release proto.tab (skeleton key fix). Obviously.

Attached Files:

14. Sitra Achara

For a minute there I thought you reverted to an old protos.tab. I must admit, I really felt an urge to strangle you :p

15. Shiningted

I get that a lot.

Our Host!