Moa's Orb

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shadowblade2, Jun 9, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

So she tells our fortune and I say I want a challenging adventure - I should have gone for the cash - it then gets real tough when we get led to the Fire Temple and I botch the Troll quest and find a room with 20 Bugbears. You though AC23 and STR damage bonus +18 was tough? Some of these guys did +36 due to STR!

Of course, it didn't help when I misued the Horn of Fog and Concealed them all 100%, so after using the DM artefact spell Powerword: Reload!, I tried again and got nearly 5000 XP each.

So is the fortune telling part of the Co8 mod? What have I done? would it have been better to take another type of adventure?

~

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Choosing the Challenging Adventure is the only option that makes any real gameplay difference. When Mona told you your fortune, you should have received an item in your inventory or had a new location added to your Worldmap depending on the version you're running. If you got the item (it looks like a piece of paper or note) use it and you will find it is a map to a new area.

This area is the Co8 added Hickory Branch. Have fun, and don't try to bite off more than you can chew in one visit...

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Mona has nothing to do with those bugbears. As mentioned, she only gives you a note with directions to Hickory Branch (where you'll find plenty of ORCS), where indeed you can find a couple of particularly challenging fights.

As a side note, what you ask of Mona does have an effect in the game. Well, every option leads to Hickory Branch, but some of the options give you something extra:

If you answer 'whatever the gods have in store for me!', you get nothing special (should've been an atheist :p)
    Answer 'challenging adventure'... same as above actually.
    Feeling greedy? 'Gold and more gold!' will make one of the Temple prisoners on level 1 reward you for releasing him. (about 100 platinum pieces IIRC)
    For shits and giggles, or perhaps another sort of challenge, choose the 'humor in all things' option, which causes Ted, Ed and Edd to appear. They are recruitable Temple prisoners with some added comedy value (plus a special endslide)
    The next two options used to create either the 'heroic merchant' (who gives you a hero's welcome when you came to release him) and the 'sad merchant' (who seems too dejected to even consider escaping the place after you release him). In Co8 they are there by default, anyway - they are later supposed to appear in Verbobonc.

So, if you want the greatest benefit, either choose the gold or the humor option.

P.S. Come to think of it, this may not be completely accurate for Co8 5.0.0. But that's how it is for Co8 5.0.X.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  4. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

I don't recall getting a note - I have mod version 5.0.0, with no cumulative fixes. Even Elmo has only four feats. Damn. I went to the Ogre cave and killed orcs, but that was Nester at the town hall in Hommlett.

Sometimes things fall out of the Extraplanar Chest (one of the coolest items I've ever seen!), so I'll check the floor around Moa's feet. We might have dropped it.

It seems that there's an awful lot of cool stuff not in 5.0.0 and onmly in 5.0.1 et seq.

Just my luck...

~

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The CMF patch assembles everything modded into the Co8 modpack since the last full release, which was nearly two years ago. So yeah, there's a lot of new stuff. :)

We plan to release a new full modpack in the not too distant future, but there's a lot of modding going on right now to fix things up, add new content, and basically overhaul most everything, so it won't hit store shelves anytime soon. Til then the CMF patch will have to suffice.

6. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

i had forgotten all about hickory branch ... now when i talk to mona she just tells me that nothing else can be done until all that has been fortold has come to fruition. in other words, i don't have the option of having my fortune told and thus being able to go to hickory branch.

1) i didn't use the DH mod, is this a reason why
    2) if i didn't need DH, can i just use the console to bring it up

7. Sitra Achara

If you're using the latest version of Co8 (5.0.5), then most likely Mona has already revealed to you the location of Hickory Branch (she won't tell you your fortune twice, though). Just look it up in the list of locations on the world map.

8. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

it's not there ... the only thing i have left to do is run through the nodes and then the final fight. verbonoc is complete ....

9. Sitra Achara

Try this -
    bring up the console (shift + ~)
    Then type:
    game.areas[15] = 1

This should enable Hickory Branch on the world map (it might not appear as a graphic - look at the list of locations on the side)

10. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

that's what i needed ... thanks

11. Tyrannar

Tyrannar Wanderer in the dark

Watcho out for a big orc with double axe, u can see he's up to no good from the glow his axe emits. I got hit there for over 40 pts of damage, both spell and weapon, which now stands in my ego entry in logbook.

Our Host!