Looking for 1st/2nd Ed AD&D stats for Characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caranthir, May 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Caranthir

Caranthir Member

I am interested in finding the stats for the following characters:

Conan the Barbarian (including Class and level--I know there are a variety of variations here depending on time period.)

Elric of Melnibone (particularly from the 1st ed Dieties and Demigods if anyone happens to have a copy laying about, I will use other gaming systems stats and convert them if necessary).

Sir Gawaine (I have the Dieties and Demigods second edition, but if you have another version I would like to see it.)

Tasslehoff Burfoot (I have the hardbound AD&D Dragonlance Legends verison, if there is a newer one, I would like to see it.)

Str/Int/Wis/Dex/Con/Chr/ HP/Level/ Class

significant items

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I got the 1980 TSR Deities and Demigods. It's got the Melnibonean Mythos.

Here's Elric:

Elric (hero)

AC: 6 or -6 (see below)
    Move: 6" or 15" (see below)
    No. of Attacks: 2
    Dmg/Atk: (see below)
    Specl Atks: (see below)
    Specl Def: Nil
    Mag Res: Standard or 85% (see below)
    Size: M(6')
    Align: CE
    Cler/Drd: 10/5
    Ftr: 15
    MU/Ill: 19/10
    Thf/Assn: 10Assn
    Mnk/Brd: Nil
    Psionic: Nil

S:6(15) I:18 W:17 D:17 C:3(15) Ch:18

S and C to 15 from potion (85% he will find mat'ls for it)
    Ring of Kings (summoning and spell-storing)
    Stormbringer (Int:18 Ego:20 +5 Souleater - steals levels on hit and gives to Elric as str and hp)

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Check here for Conan (and Red Sonja too)

--->Conan through the ages<---

further search, always the same stats, variying the levels and strength (in the old rules, pre 3rd E, he was str 18/100, what should be 19 in 3 Ed iirc)

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Unchained-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0880381523

http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Against-Darkness-Advanced-Dungeons/dp/0880381531

I found the treatise on Barbarians as PCs by E. Gary Gygax in the mid-80's very enlightening. By the time he'd written it, I'd read all the Conan lit I could get my hands on. The movies were "ok" in the same way the LotR movies were "ok"; in other words, we'll just have to settle for what we can get. IMO, you'd be better off setting the stats for these heroic types to fit your milieu rather than sticking with a storyline written by someone else. I hope that's why you've asked for the info - as a baseline only so you can keep the story going without wandering too far from what the players will accept as 'credible' when hazarding their cherished PC's while interacting with these heroic figures.

Here are ALL the facts from the First Edition Deities & Demigods on Elric & Gawain, since others have chosen to abbreviate what they have provided:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. Half Knight

Holy sh...

converting Elric to a 3 Ed rules it's almost pointless...69 lvls??
    You better make him appear as one of those "i can do/know everything" charcters...
    Btw, you can save time by using "the sword of Kas" as Stormbringer, since it does almost the same, and more (i suspect it's heavily based on it)

I really don't have any information available, at my country, you where lucky if you had the Player handbook of AD & D (i've only seen one original book in all my life, and probably the only one in my city).
    Other books are unknown (except the books to play "stormbringer" rpg, which had their own rules...pretty crappy i must say) and the "Castle Falkestein" rpg, awesome background, worst system ever :blegh:

Conan for D&D it's almost an urban legend, and gawain...i never thougth to make them as charcters for D&D, actually. It's a good idea, since almost each knight had some kind of ability or feature :yes:

It's there some link to see more 2º Ed items? I found them way much more interesting than 3º Ed

6. GuardianAngel82

I have a physical 1ed Deities and Demigods, which I owned back in the day. I have to keyboard the information in, which is why I abbrevieted it. Lord Spike seems to have provided copies of the same. I hope he didn't have to scan them in.

Does anyone have a link to an online copy of the entire thing? It really is a lot more interesting than the modern stuff.

Elric's levels are not commulative, they are simultaneous, so he could be created by giving a 19th level MU the feats of a 10th level cleric, 5th level druid, 15th level fighter, etc. The base you add the feats to probably should correspond to the number of attacks. Elric has only 2. I've looked at the old book with an eye towards creating characters based on its contents, but I would have to make so many decisions that I would essentially be creating them from scratch.

Using D&D to create famous characters has been going on since the start. I remember a good argument that Gandalf was only an 8th level MU.

7. Half Knight

5 th level, i was looking exactly a that looking for Conan :p

the argument was that D& D spells are much more powerful than LotR.
    Crap i say, Gandalf should be something similar to Elminster (or more...in fact, Elminster it's a steal of Gandalf. ;)

8. Lord_Spike

Remembering is fine; just don't try supporting them. Any fool who attempts that argument doesn't know their Tolkien.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Characters like Elric, Conan and Gandalf were not meant for D&D and any attempt to 'stat' them is not going to do them any sort of justice, imho. This reminds me of the Dragon magazine where they tried to stat Satan: very interesting read but at the end of the day, whats the point? :shrug:

Just my $0.02 :wave: I realise people get a kick out of doing these things but its apples and oranges.

10. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

Conan's stats from the 1st edition module CB1
    I own the module and I don't recommend buying it.

Conan

Fighter: 13
    Thief: 7
    Hit Points: 100
    Luck Points: 12
    Strength: 18 (90)
    Intelligence: 14
    Wisdom: 10
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 18
    Charisma: 17
    Weapon Proficiencies: sword (all types), bow (all types), axe (all
    types), club, mace, dagger
    Secondary Skills: fletcher, forester, gambler, hunter, sailor, trapper
    Special: Conan is only surprised on a 1 in 8
    Equipment: leather armor, broad sword, dagger, 50 gp

Valeria of The Red Brotherhood

Fighter: 10
    Thief: 9
    Hit Points: 55
    Luck Points: 16
    Strength: 13
    Intelligence: 15
    Wisdom: 17
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Charisma: 18
    Weapon Proficiencies: sword (all types), bows (all types), crossbows
    (all types), dagger, sling, staff
    Secondary Skills: fletcher, fisher (both types), navigator, sailor,
    shipwright
    Equipment: chain mail armor, long sword, sling and 20 bullets,
    100 gp

I can't remember what the luck points did. I am too lazy to check

11. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

I remember an old magazine (maybe Dragon?)in the 80's which listed Gandulf around 20th level. The above stats for Conan come from offical 1st edition AD&D.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Was it just me, or did anyone else find Gandalf's apparent limitation to fireworks type spells disappointing in the LotR movies? I kept wondering why he didn't launch some powerful magic against the Balrog instead of fighting him with his friggin' sword; it's not like they couldn't have got someone more accomplished to do that part than this stiff old man. :blink:

Aragorn: "We appreciate the effort and all, Gandalf, but how 'bout I go mono e mono with the big fella here while you toss a couple bombs his way?"

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  13. GuardianAngel82

The argument was a counter to those who were claiming that Gandalf was some sort of demigod. (I seem to recall, from 2 Towers, that he was.) I probably could find the article around here somewhere, but my house has stopped being a library and has become a printed material warehouse. Everytime I sit down to sort it out, I end up finding something interesting and drifting off to read it. Besides, how could I get rid of the stuff, anyway?

The greater spell effects were supposed to come from his staff. If I recall correctly.

I think most of the time that someone "statted" a famous character, it was to include him in a campaign. In many campaigns, play starts to fall apart after the characters reach 10+ level. As in ToEE.

14. Half Knight

Tolkien's magic it's very subtle.
    Wizards fight with will, word and knowledge... look at how it escapes from the tower, or the battle of will with Saruman in the snow.
    In the extended version, he confronts Saruman and defeat him easily (there, Saruman throws a fireball, and Gandalf seems unharmed)...or how he makes everyone keep fighting despite the odds (that's a powerful Bless!)

And don't get confused: the battle with the Balrog it's nothing to do with swordsmanship. Everyone will probably die when the balrog appears, while he not only even resist that, but it's able to broke the balrog's sword. and stop him (again, the will)
    In the books, the battle it's not descripted.
    Peter Jackson needed somethin visual to hold, i think he did it marvelous in the movies.

When the staff brokes against the Balrog, it's not only a sign of how he's going to fell... it's a retribution strike actually :)

Btw, take a close look on how Gandalf finishes the Balrog, gaear ;)

15. Lord_Spike

Our Host!