A suggestion for arming before adventuring

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by The Royal Canadian, Mar 1, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    In the locked thread on "Newbe Questions" there was some discussion about the "auto - disarm" feature that is built into KoTB. My way of making sure my party is always armed when leaving the Keep is to arm the party in the Inn, exit the Inn, click on the World Map and go. Not once have I had a member of the Watch complain about this tactic. I have also noticed, that the "enforcement" of the "No bared weapons rule" can be spotty at times. For example, I remember the Watch telling my party to put away their weapons ( my fighter had a Glaive, and the Druid had a Long Spear ) but didn't say anything about Two Swords running around with both swords out ( in fact that is how she is when you first meet her in the Pub )
    TRC

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nice idea. In future the guard Officers WILL pick you up on it ;) but thems the breaks.

NPCs are immune to this rule, since the person who gets busted is the person who gets spoken to. I rationalise it this way:

- Brother Fist has no weapons
    - Milo and Angela have crossbows that can't be holstered
    - Aereon (should he be with you) has a longbow that, even if unstrung, still has to be carried in the hands
    - Robin has a staff. You wouldn't part a man that sickly-looking from his prop, would you?
    - Two Swords has her weapons in hands at every opportunity. But the guards, out of a mixture of lust, fear and admiration, basically let her do whatever the hell she wants, and their Corporal quite clearly doesn't mind.

In future I will streamline this to make it more consistent (all polearms will remain in hand, one-handed clubs will be slung on the belt, and crossbows slung on the back) but for now I am pretty happy with how its working. Also, thanks to some stuff Liv did during her brief reappearance, I hope to get my great dream - weaponless NPCs - working. No more heavily armed shopkeepers, no more clerics standing around mace-in-hand. So to speak.

3. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

That's the way I've done it too. When I'm ready to head out of the keep. I pick a spot with no guards, go through inventories arming the party and hit the world map. Never went wrong.

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Go to inventory, equip weapons, then directly click the map.
    As all the information screen function as pause, guards never have time to react. You can do this even in front of a guard.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

That's what has been working for me, too. Auto-sheathing is not nearly as annoying when you remember to re-equip before getting your ass handed to you by bandits...:nerd:

6. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I found another way to make it much less anoying; use a monk.

OLLY613 likes this.
  7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Cheater! :punch:

But I don't suppose a party of 8 monks would be that interesting (or maybe it would...)

8. biobaba

biobaba Member

Or can make a party that all uses bow or hammer class weapons.... In that case guards would just ignore you

9. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Another Idea I've had, go round and kill all the guards when their on their own. You get off scott-free!

10. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

I highly recomend you try it and report back. :transform After all it is a valid RP choice for some alignments.

Cuchulainn.

11. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    For an evil party, your suggestion is perfectly valid. Just be carefull not to kill to many people, or you will get the "Enemy of the Keep" reputation, at which point you won't be
    able to buy or sell to anyone in the Keep or rest in the Keep. I must admit, I find the responses of the guards a bit puzzling. For example I killed the Druid who walks around by the gate at night in front of one of the guards, and the guard just stood there (at least he just stood there until my Rogue started shooting arrows at him ). I was also able to pick off the guard on the wall above the gate without an alarm being raised. I ended up with a 3rd level party ( 5 PCs only: No NPCs ) after clearing out most of the shrine and several people within the Keep. My "Hitlist" within the keep consisted of 5 Watchmen, 3 Gate Guards, 3 Gate Watchmen, Lenny (sorry Allyx), the Druid, and the Builder (he joined in when my CE Party took out a Watchman). The instant I killed one of the guards in the prision, I got the "Enemy of the Keep" reputation.
    For what it's worth, I feel the AI and Keep Defenses need to be "tweeked" a little. For starters, any "homicide" should get a thorough "investigation" by the "authorities", after all what LN government is just going to leave dead bodies lying around ? Second, the guards should be traveling in pairs, and unless certain precautions are taken (Silence spells, etc...) they should have a way of alerting the Keep as a whole when they come under attack ( this is an outpost on the "borderlands" and there are lots of ways for hostile forces to get over, under, or through a stone wall). Third, once a member of the guard has been killed inside the keep, the patrols within the keep should get larger and more frequent.
    The Royal Canadian

12. Shiningted

Yeah, we all kill Lenny. Should probably get a bonus of some sort for that :icon_chuc

There was some discussion among the modders about the whole Enemy of the Keep reputation: its clumsy, but since the final 'reaction' matrix will be very complex, it was thought better to have this than nothing. And, its inconsistently applied it seems. I'll try to improve that.

EDIT: O yeah, and the full version will include pretty much everything you describe, but only when it is all working nicely together - I don't want to do such a thing piece-meal or inconsistenly, or players won't know where they stand.

13. Shiningted

Ok, I have done an 'exemption list' of 54 items (just longbows, staves and polearms, but add in magic ones, masterwork ones and variants and they add up). Players won't be expected to holster those, but they will be expected to holster, sheathe or sling everything else. I will test it: hopefully it works, and trawling through that little list doesn't create any slowdowns.

Our Host!