Level Up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nitewolf, Jan 22, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Does anyone know, is there a way to alter the PC level up so you can get a better Hit Point roll? I am so tired of having a 10th level fighter with 50 hp! At least getting 70% per hit die is better than all of the 1's and 2's I keep getting.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

After realizing my first time through that the game had consistently rolled 1's and for my rogue's HP I personally do a quick-save before I level-up my characters and reload if the the number generator gets stuck on those 1's and 2's as it likes to.

3. stormbard

stormbard Member

I do the same. Just before I level-up a character, I quick-save, then repeat leveling up until the HP score is decent, then quick-save again, and repeat with next character. I can't remember who said it, but a poster mentioned having a setting that allowed for automatic maxed HP when leveling-up, which would be a good idea for those of us who aren't satisfied with the comp's rolls. As I recall, Icewind Dale had the same feature, and saved a lot of mucking around.

4. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

The save first method...

is what I am currently doing, but when I have to level up the same character 7 or 8 times just to get half hp for a level, I'm looking for an easer way to get it done.

I'd like to just alter the proper file to have, for example, a fighter get 5-10 hp per level instead of 1-10.

5. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Any of you super-technical modders out there have any ideas?

Just want to alter the random number generator...

...anyone...

6. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

Well, in BG this at was easy. You can just edit a file called HP(classabbrevation).2DA or somesuch (e.g. HPWIZ.2DA for wizards)
    While this game uses another engine (and approach), I would be surprised if the HP rolls have been coded in such a way that it isn't possible to alter it. :)

7. T-Dragonus

T-Dragonus Member

Do not forget that constitution is a bonus after the hit die rolls. Even if your constitution is low, craft or buy or find an item that increases it, equip it on the appropriate character and have him or her level up.

But truly I must say that diligence pays off. My level 9 fighter has a whopping 109 hp, my L9 paladin has 118, my L9 cleric has 86, my L9 Rogue has 85, amd my L9 sorcerer has 68. It pays off to sit there for even hours. It sounds corny and all too typical, I know, but it's not a lie.

8. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I don't think giving a +con item to the levelling up guy will give him more HP, unless he's going to keep that item on. HP from con does come after the HD roll, but it's just a flat +(con modifier * level) added to whatever is the recorded sum of all your HD rolls. Change the con modifier, even after rolling for HP, and your HP total will change with it.
    And, while dilligence definitely pays off, levelling up has become something I absolutely dread, whereas it used to be something to look forward to.

9. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Well, I guess the point is kinda moot now. I just learned the python command to increase the HP of each character. I can just max each one out at each level up (or whatever).

I am still interested, however, if anyone can find the basis for HP rolls and change that.

10. Lord Plothos

How does that particular python command work? I've ignored those things because I don't want a free ride, but the level-up thing is getting to me.

Never mind, firgured it out. Good call. This way you can just give everybody max, average, 70 cents on the dollar, or whatever you think is fair. Or you could actually roll yourself, get fair results and input those.

A note, though, that this hp_max code fixes the character's HP before adding for con, so setting a first level rogue with a con of 14 to 30 HP will result in the rogue having 32 HP, not 30. Setting that same rogue to 30 at level 2 will yield 34 HP.

Anyway, for those interested, call up the console and type this:

game.party[0].stat_base_set(stat_hp_max,30)

The [0] will target the first character in your party. Making it [1] will target character 2, and so on.
    Obviously, change the last number, 30, to whatever you want your pre-con modifier HP to be.

If it doesn't work, and you have just booted up the game, try typing this first:

from utilities import *

And if that fails, try playing for a while first.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  11. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

my chars all have max hp.. but it sucks big time to spend an hour leveling up all party members every time they get enough XP.

12. Lord Plothos

Yeah, that's the point of giving this cheat here. It's much faster (and certainly less annoying) to just level up once, and go through and set everybody's HP with this code.

13. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

I don't want to get annoying, but I would still appreciate it if anyone could figure out the original question...namely to alter the level up procedure...

but otherwise, great input, guys...

14. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

I'm sorry, but I guess the answer is that no one knows yet... You could try to post it as a CR in this thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1243

15. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Yeah, I know, but I just wanted lo let everyone know I'm still looking...and trying to figure it out myself.

Didn't mean to sound whiny or anything..

Our Host!