Consecrate problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ErikModi, May 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Okay, Consecrate counters and dispels Desecrate.

Except it doesn't. I've cast it numerous times on that annoying skeleton priest battle in Emridy Meadows, but my characters are still under the influence of Desecrate. I'm not even sure Consecrate is kicking in (I don't see it on my character's buff bar.)

Is there something different you need to do to get a spell to counter another spell in effect, or is this just a bug?

2. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

In order to counter a spell, I think you have to use a readied action to counter-spell. I haven't ever used in ToEE, so I don't know if and how that is implemented. In that particular encounter, because of surprise, I think it isn't possible to counter-spell the skeleton priest.

But dispelling should work, and if it hasn't your caster either failed to pass an opposed level check, or the spell is badly implemented in ToEE... not sure which.

3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

You can be se sure, matmaisan, you need to "ready action:counterspell" in order to counterspell. But I do it very rarely, spells mostly have a better use then counterspelling.

4. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Yeah. . . I managed to get the priest to pop low on the initiative order by approaching the Rainbow Rock from the NW and having the rest of my part stand a bit aside while one went to loot. Got my cleric in before the priest and readied a counterspell, and it worked.

But, if you can successfully counterspell, can't you also successfully dispel with the appropriate spell casting? They are basically the same check, if I recall correctly.

5. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Feh. That is not the way it's supposed to work. To counterspell Desecrate, you're supposed to need another Desecrate spell. Consecrate is supposed to counter and dispel Desecrate no matter when you cast it.

Just another royal Atari screwup ... :rant:

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Let's clear things:

-Consecrate it's supposed to work as a counter for Desecrate, if the counterspell works, then that's great news.

-Casting Consecrate on an area where Desecrate it's acting, will dismiss/dispel/cancel Desecrate, and the inverse too. This doesn't work in the game, it's a known bug

-Also, some spells are supposed to work against other spells (usually the opposite) as counterspells, Consecrate vs Desecrate it's one of those cases, as well Light vs Darkness; this it's cause some alignments/specializations would prevent some charcters to memorize the same spell that you need to cast for counter (good clerics memorizing Desecrate?? :no: )
    The normal rules are that you need the same spell (with the proper feats -not available in the game- you could also use a spell of the save level or higher).

-Using Consecrate as a counterspell for Desecrate it's right.

7. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

From 3.5 PHB, p 171, top first column, first full paragraph. Under Counterspells:

Specific Exceptions: Some spells specifically counter each other, especially when they have diametrically opposed effects. For example, you can counter a haste spell with a slow spell, as well as another haste spell, or you can counter reduce person with enlarge person.

Now, that is in the part where they talk about readied action counterspells, so it seems that simply casting Consecrate over an area affected by Desecrate won't counter Desecrate. However, the spell description specifically stats "counters and dispells Desecrate," so one would assume it would dispell Desecrate if cast over the same area as covered by Desecrate, leaving neither spell in effect.

8. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

From the D&D Official FAQ:

"When an opposite spell is used to negate an effect that is
    already in place (such as using slow spell to counter and
    dispel a haste spell), is the success of the dispel automatic,
    or is a level check required? Does the subject or the caster
    of the spell being countered and dispelled get a saving
    throw?

Two opposite spells simply negate each other. No dispel
    check is required, no saving throw is allowed, and spell
    resistance does not apply."

In PnP I imagine this requires a targeted use of the desecrate or consecrate, meaning that you target the opposite effect with the explicit intention of countering/dispelling it. I guess this is also bugged in ToEE... I don't recall having any options in the use of Dispel Magic.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There's a bug i won't tolerate.

Some of Liv's recent work on area effect spells should allow us to fix this bug. Can anyone think of any other examples of spells like this?

10. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Humm... i didn't checked...but maybe they actually cancel each other in-game, one gives a +1, the other a -1 so no bonus for anybony.

In any case, the spell visual effects of BOTH spells seem to stay in place...

11. Shiningted

Well it turns out I DO have access to these spells on my work PC (seeing as how the files are in KotB). So I have mocked up a fix - very simple really (if it works). Could someone please test this? I wouldn't normally throw up untested stuff but if it works, it can very easily be copied over to any other pair of opposed spells :)

Simply unzip these two files into the data/scr folder and head over to Emridy Meadows, let the Skeletal Priest Desecrate your vicinity, then cast Consecrate and see what happens.

EDIT: Zip updated with Sitra's recommendations from below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

There was a = instead of == error in there. Once fixed, it works fine (the spells don't work at all otherwise).

13. Shiningted

Heh, I been out of the loop for too long. Thanks Sitra :thumbsup:

I'll add some particle effects as needed (probably 'counterspell', if it has any) when I see this in action. For the moment, can anyone else think of any similar spells? Fear vs Courage etc? Spells that are known bugs, that is.

14. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Hi Ted. Not in my current game, but in my last adventure I was quite annoyed how nothing seemed to help in the battle with the umber hulks on level 3. I was still afraid after magic circle against evil, ready counterspell Cle Lv 8, ready counterspell Wiz Lv 8! Cle Wis18 Cha 18(16,Cloack +2) Wiz Int 18( 20,Headband +2) Wis 14 Cha 16. On the dice roll sheet I had counterspell succcess! Latest CMF

15. Shiningted

Do umber hulks cast spells at you or do they have spell-like special abilities? :scratchhe The latter wouldn't be counterspellable.

EDIT: No Umber Hulks in the SRD - stupid propreitary monster names :roll:

Our Host!