How do you make your best fighter?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sachmo, Apr 29, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

When it comes to levelling up your main melee combat fighter do you guys multiclass?
    If so what combination do you go for?

I have generally just stuck with keeping them a fighter class, sticking to the theory that multiclassing just slows you down from reaching the higher levels. As the higher level the fighter, the better the fighter will be.

But I have been considering slipping in a rogue level in there for the surprise attack or a barbarian for the extra mobility and berserker rage.

What are your thoughts?

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I usually build my main tank as a barbarian/fighter. I give him one level of barb, then go fighter until he gets the feats I am looking for (depending on what I'm trying with this build) then back to barbarian. I usually end up with a fighter 10 / barbarian 4 assuming my party tops out at level 14. I like the extra mobility the barbarian gets, and the rage and bonus hp are very useful at early levels when you are fighting in the Moathouse.

I don't usually use a fighter/rogue as my main tank, if I build one he is normally my faceman and the fighter levels are secondary or maybe 50-50 split. Either way, this character gets used as a flanker and secondary tank since he doesn't have the hit points the main tank does.

3. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

I agree. Ftr/Barb works lot better as a tank. Besides, you can have improved crit feat, keen edge crafted on your weapon, which will nicely do for the sneak attack(a wonderful feat anyway...). Another choice could be Ftr/Cle for self buffering spells like divine favour, shield of faith, magic weapon(!) etc... Not very keen personally, but Ftr/Pally works pretty well too. Aura of courage helps a looooot against the Balor for instance. Anyway, to make it short, I favour Ftr8/BarbX. By the 8th Ftr level you'll have most of the feats you need, then go with Barb for everything else( HP, uncanny dodge, fast movement etc). I normally go Ftr 1,Ftr1/Barb1, Ftr4/Barb1,Ftr4/Barb4,Ftr8/Barb4 then Ftr8/BarbX

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

In this game the fighter/rogue is really nice - soo much flanking to exploit. :transform
    Rogue 3/Fighter X is great because you only lose 1 from max BAB, average of 6 HP (12 if you're using max HP), +1.5 Fort, and 1.5 bonus feats, in exchange for +2d6 sneak attack, evasion, +1 to Fort and Will, and +3 to reflex, plus the added skills (nice to have tumble as a class skill).

Adding a level of barb is nice for the movement, which helps flank, but you're restricted to light or medium armor, which stinks if you have low dex, but is fine if you have high dex, thanks to elven chain. Going up to level 3 rogue too means you need level 2 barb to avoid an XP penalty, but for that you get uncanny dodge, which is nice, esp. with so much AC from dex. You also boost your rage a bit.

So FighterX/Rogue3/Barb2 is a nice combo, with high dex.

5. grinner666

grinner666 Member

When I'm multiclassing Rogue with Fighter I usually use FIGHTER as the add-on ... the character usually ends up Rog11/FtrX, depending on the number of characters I've got in the party. I really can't say too many good things about the damage-dealing capability of a flanking Rogue/Fighter with 2WF, Improved 2WF, Weapon Finesse, Improved Critical, a pair of Holy, Frost Burst Shocking Burst Shortswords and a +5 0r 6d6 sneak attack. :thumbsup:

For the Party Tank, however (when I bother with one), I usually go either straight Barbarian or straight Fighter ... though once my "tank" was a half-orc Druid/Barbarian ... HIS damage-dealing capacity was FRIGHTENING ...

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I'm thinking Ftr10/Bbn10 might be the way to go ... my fighters usually have a pretty high Dex anyway (for Combat Reflexes and Whirlwind Attack) so they usually end up with the Elven Chain (light armor) and it's not like the DR Barbarians get at higher levels is anything to sneeze at (I'm one of those who doesn't see advancement in Barbarian past level one as a waste of levels ...) ;)

Hmmmmm ... time to start up a new character ...

Our Host!