Stuck on temple level 4

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nhfc_spl, Mar 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. nhfc_spl

nhfc_spl Member

I'm stuck trying to get by the control boxes in the hall of temple level 4. I have searched these forums, google and find nothing on the issue of the chests and the light that appears nor the electrical zaps that wipe me out. Am I missing something obvious or did I neglect to find something, talk to some one or trigger something?

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you have a PC who is a high level rogue you should be able to click on the box and disarm the trap. If you don't have a high level rogue, there are other options to bypass the trap. Supposedly you can beat a password out of some of the denizens of Level 4, but I've never had any success with that. I usually just end up going into combat mode by hitting "c" on the keyboard, then you can run your party past the trap one character at a time without taking damage. It's kinda clunky and time-consuming, but it works.

3. nhfc_spl

nhfc_spl Member

Wow. I feel silly, never thought to try a thief on it. THanks for the tip!

4. D'ar'Kane96

D'ar'Kane96 Shadow Dweller

Well, first of all sorry for starting this here but I just got a Control Boxes related issue and tought this would be a good place as any to try and get a fix for this.

I'm fairly new to the Forum so sorry if I just broke some rule. Anyway this is what just happened to me (last night):

I used to play ToEE with Co8 5.0.0, but recently installed CMF 5.0.5, everything else seems to work fine except when I got to Temple Level 4 and took my rogue, Level 12, to the Control Boxes it opened like any regular lootable box. No dialogue no nothing. With Co8 5.0.0 it took me to a dialogue wich then gave me te option to disarm the trap.

Now nothing happens. Can somebody lend me a hand here?

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry, this is a known issue that we just recently discovered the cause of. A fix will be provided in an upcoming patch, but until then, use the combat mode workaround: enter combat mode by pressing 'c,' then walk each of your PCs/NPCs past the trap indivually. You'll have to enter combat mode separately for each one.

6. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

or, make enough capes of the mountebank so you can dimensiondoor to the other side of the trap

7. rbc

rbc Shoggoth

You can also enter the fourth level of the temple from behind once you have the Orb of Golden Death, by going into Zuggtmoy's area and using the door icon in the rightmost room. You immediately enter into combat with the three ascomids, but they're easy to beat. You then come up on Hedrack's treasure room with the oozes before meeting Hedrack, and have to go through his men to get to him. Of course, if you had really wanted to talk to him rather than just kill him, you should have completed one of the elemental faction quest trios and gotten that priest to lead you down to him. ;) In either case, this will leave you stuck on the *other* side of the lightning trap. To bypass it from that side to exit, one teleport will get your whole party out.

Oh, that's another issue wrt the original paper module -- the teleport spell is not supposed to be high enough level to get you out of the nodes, but it works fine in the computer game. There are lots of other node-by-node spell alterations, too. Has anyone tried to make spell effects vary based on what map you're on?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. D'ar'Kane96

D'ar'Kane96 Shadow Dweller

Thanks for the replies... Just hoping this gets fixed on a future CMF...
    Gaear's solution did just fine for me tough...
    I'm working on a couple ideas to mod this game, but since I haven't done any kind of modding in a couple of years this will probably take me some time.
    Be sure to give you some heads-up on my progress...
    Once again thanks for the help.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Certainly very doable: I plan to alter Dimension Door one of these days in KotB to prevent it working on certain maps (areas where it is assumed there is Dimensional-Anchor-style magicks afoot). Just run the word 'map' through a text search of the spell files (data/scr folder) and I am certain you will turn up examples of spells that already have some such caveat.

Our Host!