Rampantly Corrupting Save Games

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ravl, Apr 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ravl

Ravl Member

Hello,

I have been having some serious difficulties with save games getting corrupted. Yesterday I was in a battle that started turning bad so I hit quickload. Instead of loading the game, I was taken to the backdrop you see when you load the game, but with no menu and the standard user interface in the bottom right (the one that lets you change party formations, go to town map, etc). I pressed escape and got the same menu you would get in the game (ie load game, save game, exit game) and tried to load my quicksaved game from that menu but I got an error saying the save game could not be loaded because it was corrupt.

A little frustrated, I loaded from my other saved file that was a couple hours old and started playing the game again. I then saved the game twice in two slots to make sure that everything would be fine in case something got corrupted agin. About ten minutes after that I tried to quickload from a save game and had the same misfortune as last time (getting brought to the main menu while still having the in game UI and getting a 'savegame is corrupted error') so I shut down the game for the night.

Tonight I decided to get back to it and tried to load the quicksaved game to no avail, it was corrupted. I then tried to load my two backup save and BOTH of them were corrupted, so now that party is dead for all points and purposes, because I have no non-corrupt savegames.

I had one other game with a different party that loaded successfully.

I am playing with patch 2, co8 v 5.0 and the 5.05 update added on that. I launch from TOEEFE and have the module installed. I don't have keep on the boarderlands installed yet.

I run Win XP, on my laptop with an AMD Turion64 processor, ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M video card and 1024 mb ram. Up until these corrupted saves, I have had no problems with TOEE playing it off and on with different groups (never staying with quite the same party) for about a year.

Is this a known bug or has the game decided to punish me? It is annoying to get a corrupted save game but it is a real travesty to get all three of your saves corrupted and have to start over with a new party. I think that something is actively corrupting the savegames since it seems nearly impossible to simultaneously corrupt three savegames on coincidence or misfortune.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that auto- and quick-save functions are said to be very problematic. I've run this game with myriad setups and always stuck to the normal saves exclusively. Nothing's ever been corrupted.

Try playing for a while without using quicksave and see if the problem goes away. :beer:

Our Host!