why no place to download player made modules

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Eledezma, Apr 1, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I knew there had to be a definitive source on that somewhere. (Tonto is Apache? Thought he was Cheyenne. My ex is Lakota(Sioux). Guess why I'm bald: she got the scalp in the divorce.) Thanks, Kimosabe!

(I used to ask my sisters: "If that's a ponytail, what does that make your head?")

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Really? :scratchhe I musta removed it when we had that 'lets clean up the server' push. Its pretty much redundant since Co8 4 came out.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Whoops, sorry if i've offended you :errf:
    I'm sure that my comic cook-english sounds funny too :)

Yup, i know. El Zorro was great hero :p

I know that too.
    Actually, i always hated the the name of Tonto, while the charcter was really cool (ilked him more than the Lone Ranger), Tonto means "dumb" in spanish... :bored:

As a side note, i've got a magazine with the origin of the Lone Ranger, when he was part of a Squad of Rangers, and get ambushed and killed. He survives barely, but put a cross along the other graves (all their ranger friends), as he "died" in that ambush. Later, Tonto joins him.

As side note, the same book has another story, in which a young cowboy helps a young wounded native, and they run a short adventure against some bandits. When the story ends, the native it's departing, and while he waves his hands says "so long, Kemosabe". You never know their names thru he adventure.

And, thru all the book, you never see the cowboy/ranger face, (it's always on shadows), till the moment he puts his mask.

Damn, that book was gem, i should see where i have it.

Actually, the translation for cowboy it's "muchacho-vaca" or "hombre-vaca", implying that theyre both the same ...creature.
    The meaning it's probably something similar to "horseman" (hombre-caballo), but as cowboys used to drive (rustle?) cows and livestock...well, the name comes quicly.
    Probably as the first colones actually rided "cows" (oxes? ox?).

"Heads up!" should be translated as an"attention!" sentence, as lifting the head means to look around or pay attention. The literal translation "cabeza arriba" could be interpreted like that, but hardly.

"levantar cabeza" means so settle, (get married, make a family, get a house, etc), so watch out your spanish, or you'll get into troubles :yikes:

I always found the interpretations of different languages fascinating :)

But we've strayed too far from the thread :)

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

No way I'm offended, mi espanol es no ?(no es)? muy bueno.

El Zorro was California (West Coast).

Texas still has Texas Rangers. They do the Highway Patrol and provide criminal investigation resources to rural areas and small towns. They all have 4-year college degrees and are still considered very elite. One of my classmates from Texas A&M is one.
    He was pretty sharp as an undergraduate, too. They no longer mete out justice on the spot like they used to, though. Kind of like Paladins. (Have Gun, Will Travel) My grandfather used to run cattle. But he used an Oldsmobile, not a horse. I was in Parson's Mounted Cavalry at A&M, though. Got to ride during parades instead of marching, like the peones.

"Rustle" is slang for stealing. We still have it. Now they use 18-wheelers.

I've never heard an Indian talk like Tonto (Tanto=sharp knife?), they all speak in complete sentences, including the articles, just like the rest of us Americans (= pueblos de los Estados Unidos). In spite of this, most people know Tonto is smart, not dumb. In our enlightened society, you can be insulted no matter what cultural sub-division you are part of. (Most of us are multiple.)

Don't be embarassed by your English.

1. Most of the time, it's not noticeable.
    2. It's never difficult to understand.
    3. It's better than my Spanish.
    4. It's better than many Americans' English.
    5. You speak twice as many languages as I do.

Whoops! Have I hijacked this thread, too? Lo ciento.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  5. rbc

rbc Shoggoth

I put a few things together last summer after reading the tutorials but never mentioned them. Now I am looking at ToEE again after a few months off and trying to decide how to integrate the more recent changes you guys have made into my own personal setup. This leads to two questions.

One: is any of the existing work kept in CVS or some other source control system? This would make it much easier to take two different changes to the same dlg or py file and combine them automatically (mobs and other binary files would still be a problem, but any plain-text thing like protos.tab would work well).

Two: is there any interest in seeing the changes I have made? They are of two main types. First, I removed nearly all of the alignment limitations on dialogue options. I had two motivations. One, the approach was ham-handed: it checked *party* alignment, without any allowance for the fact that, for example, a "neutral" party might contain only good PCs, or a "good" party only neutral PCs. Two, I happen to think that more options are always better. Even though I've never had any intention of actually selling Meleny into slavery in trade for Serena, I found it extremely amusing just to know the option is there. I only discovered that by reading dlg files line by line, because I probably wouldn't have ever run the right alignment party. The second change I made was to allow a single party to receive all nine alignment quests. I'm a completist at heart, so it just feels right to me. It also does things like let CN parties go kill Nerof Gasgol (the Lord Mayor of Greyhawk), or good guys take out *another* temple of Hextor. =) Most helpful in the very early game is that the caravan bandits, murderous thief, etc., are now lootable. In the later game, it allows you to return to jade empress's market, to buy some of those neat items you just didn't have the money to afford earlier. I don't know if anyone else cares, or would approve of adding such things to their games, but for me it was a great way to learn modding (including adding doors and overland map routes).

For my next adventure in modding, I am strongly considering editing Troika material to more closely accord with the original 1985 paper adventure. For example, the one lone giant rat to the northwest of the earth temple is supposed to be one hundred fourty-four giant rats. The exit from Zuggtmoy's prison is supposed to lead into the elemental nodes, not the greater temple (no more sneaking up on Hedrack's mages from behind). Whatever happened to the roper, the lurker above and the su-monster? If you kill Tolub or Grud, the rest of their pirate crews (not in Nulb that day) should hunt you down. I would like to make random encounters work properly, so they occur based only on time elapsed, regardless of whether you request them by resting in unsafe areas. That is important because I'd like to properly represent the idea that almost every room has some treasure in it, but some are supposed to take upwards of an hour of game time to find amid the trash (this seems to involve lots of unlocked chests which contain all the loot, and are scripted to cause time to elapse upon opening them). The most interesting idea would be to implement this quotation from the original: "Any group of humans or small humanoids within the dungeon is able to replace its losses (to adventurers) at the rate of one per day. Larger humanoids (3+1 or more Hit Dice) can replace one each three days; monsters can replace their numbers at the rate of one per week. If the Temple forces are not heavily pressed by the party, they actually grow at the rates given above. Note, however, that once the leaders of a group are eliminated, neither they nor their forces can be repaired."

What do you think? I know the modders here are all hard at work on KotB, but ToEE has many more fond memories for me from 20+ years ago, so I'm happier just sticking with it.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'd suggest a third route: make something completely new, perhaps some other module: sounds like you know how to do that. Thats just me. I have always wanted to keep ToEE moddable for everyone who comes along to try their hand at, but that approach has led to it becoming very unbalanced and our current scenario of doing a major rebalancing. The extent of your mod sounds like it would be an alternate to Co8 rather than part of it (we try to keep a lot of the original thinking, like the alignment divisions, as they are out of respect to the game's makers) but we would still be happy to host it.
    Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head there: we basically have no such system. The Co8 patch builds on what went before it because the nature of the ToEE engine does not lend itself to various mods, unless they don't use the same files. I believe DungeonSiege allowed multiple mods - you just gave this or that one priority as needed, and they all meshed together nicely - but ToEE is not like that at all, so there is always a concern for using the 'latest' protos.tab etc. It does make things a pain, and it means variant mods have to be updated seperately ever after :(

All the more reason to do A1-4 or Ravenloft instead: have complete control over what you are doing, won't clash with anything, and I would suggest its more appealing than 'ToEE with slight variants!' which is all we have been making here for a long time. But you can still release your mods for the CMF, and it will then be up to the moderators what gets rolled into the official patch: but either way, we will always be happy to host other mods. Thanks to Front End, it would be no problem for any given user to have both your mod and Co8 5.0.x side by side and play either as they like :)

7. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Just wondering - is there any mod listed in this thread that -isn't- redundant with Co8 5.0.5 (current version)?

What it sounds like you're talking about wishing for here is what is called WeiDU for the BG games, correct? If you don't know what I'm referring to, I'll be happy to explain. It wasn't available for the Infinity Engine, someone (a guy named Weimer, I believe, hence the name) had to write it. It works great too, but it must've been a bear to write, and I don't know if it'd be worth developing for an engine that basically only has one game to it's name at this point. The Infinity Engine has so many games written for it, it was worth writing a tool like that.

Especially when you consider that you guys are so well coordinated in packaging all known mods together. That makes such a potential tool nowhere near as useful as it was for the umpteen different BG modding communities that didn't always get along personality-wise on top of it, heh.

Qwinn

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. rbc

rbc Shoggoth

I think of it as an extension to Co8, since I also want to use all the great stuff everyone else has already done! This is why I wanted CVS or somesuch to help me merge your updates with my tweaks -- maintaining a separate option in the ToEE-FE (as I agree it probably should be) would be much easier if every time you guys released an update, I had CVS to help me update my stuff to comply with any non-conflicting overlaps.

I've spent 28 years thinking the alignment system was an idea with neat possibilities, yet its implementation was Gygax's greatest goof -- but let's not go there right now. ;) What I was more concerned with is the idea that the party alignments are broader than the player alignments. For example, since a NG party can contain LG, NG, CG and TN characters, why shouldn't they be able to do all four of those alignment quests? If I were DMing the computer ToEE as a pen-and-paper adventure, I'd say those differing motivations are what brought the party together in the first place -- four different lone or paired adventurers who all ended up in Hommlett for their own reasons, then banded together once in town. Yes, the implementation as "first you meet, then you flashback to why you met" is a bit clunky, but so it goes.

Sure, that makes sense. I'm interested in a simpler problem. The current version of my mod is an offshoot of Co8 5.0.2 or thereabouts. I'd like to be able to grab just the changes between then and now, and apply those to my mod to make it an offshoot of the most current Co8. I'd want to do that again any time Co8 released a new thing I wanted to incorporate. I can certainly do it just by grabbing things from the CMF thread, but an automated tool would help ensure I got everything I meant to, and make it easier to merge multiple changes to the same files. Since, for this reason, I am planning to put it all in CVS myself, mostly I was wondering whether anyone else had already done so. If the wheel really hasn't been invented yet, as you seem to be saying, then I'll just go ahead and do it without worrying about duplication of effort. Then the question is whether you'd like me to make my CVS repository accessible to you guys, too. :)

It would be way cool to do Slavers! My main problem is that I totally suck at art, which is why all the changes I have in mind are to existing maps. :( I am much more likely to try to learn assembler in order to mod the DLL than I am to learn to draw.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's as Ted says ...

I should point out that since I found myself with the CMF/next modpack version sitting in my lap, my basic objective has been to simply put it to bed in dignified fashion. This means primarily fixing stuff that we ourselves unfortunately have 'broken,' so to speak (balance and the like). I'm also pursuing a personal interest of shaping up game elements that are ultimately quite simplistic but which are grating to the player when not done right, such as silly NPC interaction that was never done properly or thoroughly in the first place. Add to that polishing up beta-state material and you've got the future of the modpack in a nutshell.

Beyond these things, I don't have much in the way of ambition for the Co8 modpack anymore, particularly as regards branching out into new areas. This is due in part also to the fact that it seems most players ultimately still want to just play Troika's ToEE with the bugs fixed, not ToEE as reimagined by Co8. :shrug:

But as Ted says, things are wide open for new modules, and I agree that your efforts would best be spent there. That said, we will look at anything you have to offer for ToEE, and we will certainly host the mod for you as long as it's playable. (I assume it would be, but it's best we state that as a caveat because we've had others submit mods in the past that were essentially unplayable.)

This thread specifically? Livonya's mod, Ted's mod, and all previous iterations of the Co8 modpack are included in the current release. KotB is a separate module. Vicks and Wedge and Orion's mod are separate mods not included in the Co8 modpack.

The ones that are already in the modpack are still available independantly because they are fairly major mods and people may still want to play them without all the latest Co8 stuff (at least theoretically). We often get criticized for foisting our stuff on people who don't want it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
Our Host!