TOEE thieving and should I even be trying?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Parum, Mar 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Parum

Parum Member

I have an thief with excellent stats who's pretty darned good at disableing devices and opening locks and what not but even though I can pretty much succeed at will when ever I open said chest, after disableing and picking, the screen always goes into battle mod. The question then is should I be trying to steal from any chest I come across or are they simply temtping little treats of eye candy that I am to leave alone? Any thoughts? Oh and I'm sure it doesn't matter but I am playing the TOEEFE mod.

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

In Hommlet, people don't take kindly to you stealing their stuff. If you're not willing to knock people out or kill them, don't rob their homes.

However, you should be able to open other chests after killing their owners.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

If you're just opening the chests and taking the stuff, then, as Old Book says, people wouldn't be too happy.

Remember, you are THIEF...you should be in "sneak mode", or invisible. :)

Olidammara knows i've do that with the chest in the fire temple...sneak behind the priest, disable-open-loot the chest, then you can equip the loot (the mighty frostbrand, and the ring of fire resistance) and start the fight. ;)

4. Parum

Parum Member

Well hey maybe the chests in Hommlet are meant to be disabled and lock picked for experience but not to take the items? What do you think?

5. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

They are meant to be places people store their stuff. If your party is Evil, and doesn't mind killing off the villagers, they're a reliable source of loot. If your party is good, you shouldn't be robbing townsfolk.

6. Parum

Parum Member

Oh...no, no I'm not robbing anyone. I was just using the disable device for exp. but leaving the chests locked and the contents intact. I wonder if that would still mess with reputation though? Who knows?

7. Typhon

Typhon Member

im gonna have to use that logic on my DM next time

*slaughters a small village as a lvl 1 paladin*
    hey im not evil! i just did it for the xp.

8. Parum

Parum Member

Well whatever works for a PC game.

Our Host!