Is TOEE everyone's favorite CRPG?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firstborn, Feb 20, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

KotB-ToEE KotB first cos it have more rpg stuff, and ToEE cos it's the father, of course.
    KotB have all those little details that i love in rpg (and which lots of people think are bugs :p ), and of course being done by rpg players, have a real feeling.

Icewind Dale II all those races...really cool, tho i prefer a lot more the 3.5 rules. Also, the graphics where too small.

KotOR i think it have all the epic atmosphere of star wars, combined with amazing graphics. (The 3D graphics it perfect for that). It was a bit weak as a rpg, tho

I hated NWN, found the old rules of BGs frustrating, and never played Fallout (or Arcanum)...

Aside of computer rpgs, i liked old console games too:

Legend of Thor the best rpg EVER for Sega

Shadowrun for my beloved sega megadrive it's awesome

Zelda, a link to the past for supernintendo, a classic

These days i've found a really old game for Sega megadrive, an rpg that plays in isometric view (and FPPOV inside dungeons a la Eye of the Beholder), have a turn based combat, and a simple but smart way to implement old 2 Edition for non weapon proficiencies...it also seem to have lots of details (if you look in the graveyard, you'll find your cahracters graves, ready for any unfortunate event!)
    the best thing? It's a Dungeons & Dragons game!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Dammit man, what game is it then!??!!? :rant:

3. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

I just started playing oblivion on the weekend :D its actually a great improvement over morrowind as far as accessibility is concerned. I still dont actually know what im meant to do in morrowind -_-

4. sixtysix

sixtysix Member

I'll always love TOEE. Firstly it's really well done (bugs or not) and it was the first pen and paper role playing game I ever played. Ya know back when pen and paper was the only option:google: ...yeah I'm old.

But I just picked up this game GLADIUS for the PS2. The deal is you are running a gladatorial school in a sort of roman world, and you fight in various tournaments, build up your team to suit your style and the story line isn't half bad either. The combat is turn based, pretty detailed in so far as options and I'm finding it pretty darn addicting. I don't think it became very popular, but if you see it in a sale bin or used somewhere it's worth spending a bit of time and money on.

5. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Am I the only person that thought that Oblivion was significantly -less- good then Morrowind?

Everyone seems to think it was a good upgrade. I thought it was markedly worse.

Qwinn

6. Mielikki

Mielikki Member

i agree whole-heartedly!!! some aspects are an improvement but overall it is not as good. a combination of the two would be ideal i guess. the marksman ranged attack in oblivion is way cool but the player characters look dorky. just one girls opinion...

7. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Here's what I thought was better about Morrowind. Note it's been a little bit since I played either, so I might mess up the names, but I remember the general points well enough:

1) The "strongholds", watching them be built and recruiting people for them and all that, were far far far far far better in Morrowind than the lame "houses" of Oblivion that all you could do was buy furniture for. Also liked getting a different one depending on the House you joined.

2) The assassin guild in Morrowind was cool, and had atmosphere and rules that made it believable that it could be - barely - tolerated within a society. The assassin guild in Oblivion was just lame.

3) Just the fact of -having- the three Houses added replayability in Morrowind, nothing similar in Oblivion that I can recall.

4) Being able to get that blessing in the big city in Morrowind that would let you fly across the whole damn continent was awesome.

5) Cities in Morrowind were better laid out. Well, at least the -biggest- city in MW was better than the biggest city in Oblivion.

6) Morrowind quests were better written overall.

Okay, that's it for my rant, hehe. Sorry that it's off topic, but I never vented about this before, lol, and I played Oblivion like a year ago.

Qwinn

8. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

It's not my favourite, that's BG2- "Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!!!", because of the sheer vastness of the game and a great storyline...And I'm a bit of a succer for ad&d 2nd ed rules too, hehe :eyebrow:

ToEE is second -would have been 1st if it would be more than just a huge dungeoncrawl littered with bugs. Still, thanks to the modders here on Co8, but I've never got to finish the game due to all the errors embedded in the game.
    But the graphics are great, the 3.5 rulesset is well implemented(x-ept for metamagic feats who don't work for 2nd lvl or higher spells) and the object creation feats which I absolutely adore.

3rd is Arcanum, I like the Jules Verne'iness of that world, tho it's a bit long.

4th is Eye of the Beholder 2 (Yes, a DOS game, hehe)

5 is for Icewind Dale 1

I never got round to playing a fallout or Torment, so when I get to it, this list might very well need an update.
    I hate Morrowind and other FP games (But that's more because I get seasick from the hobbling image) and really down you have the final fantasies which are just utterly boring and repetitive

9. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

I once did a brief foray into non-AD&D-aligned games, and I have to admit they turned out to be utter rubbish. Somehow or other, the AD&D universe makes a game so much richer in detail and background.

10. ben34

ben34 Member

I agree that order is what I say also and the bauldurs gates was actually onto the cityscape more so. Its just that they never developed it into anything world wide with fae~rune although they could very easily have done so I believe. Plus the cemetary and other city scape districs were paved and sculpted very nicely and the combo of water and greenery complemented them very well!!! I believe all that is needed to do this is a cersar4 style of construction set for building and jpg. mapping to transition to and from a world map and there it is!! Beautifull city scaping with green lush landscapeing to boot!!! That is what I really enjoyed in TOEE was the trees buterflys and falling leaves unto the green grass with the amazing detailed sceaneary and enchanting background music this is breathtaking!!! I would really like to see more of the church and its music in the sequels also in TOEE!!! I have really good ideas for fight music also that would be better but thats it for now thank you im out

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  11. ben34

ben34 Member

Truely rubbish if not core rules thats for sure no value to me at least I wont wast my time really

12. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Non-AD&D aligned computer games? Hmmmm.

Well, if you're willing to stray out of the pure fantasy realm, I'd have to say the Fallout "SPECIAL" (strength, perception, endurance, charisma, intelligence, agility, luck) and perks/traits and action points system is at least equal to the AD&D system as far as implementation for a computer game goes. It really works very very well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 3rd edition D&D (released in 2000) feat system was a direct ripoff of Fallout (released in 1997) perk system.

That's the only non-AD&D system that's been implemented as a computer game that I can think of that really compares though in terms of elegance and depth of character development. In some ways it's even more elegant as there are -no- classes, only skills and stats which you can juggle into a lot of different viable character models. But, the really big but, is obviously no magic system, so those viable models do eventually boil down to "combat boy, stealth boy and diplomacy boy". It's enough, though.

Actually, I have to give the skills setup in World of Warcraft some props too. Their skill point system was pretty well designed IMO, and made it actually viable to have a lot of different builds within each class, more balanced than it had any real right to be too (then again, my expectations of class balance are really really low, having been initially formed in the pre-Kunark days of the original Everquest, lol).

Qwinn

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  13. Oerdin

Oerdin Member

I honestly like NWN2's game engine better but I love the Greyhawk setting since that was the setting my friends and I used back in the early 90's when I actually played AD&D. I honestly wish Atari would get off their duffs, make what ever deals necissary, and produce games in the Greyhawk setting using the NWN2 engine. Or failing that come up with a new massive multiplayer online RPG set in the Greyhawk world and include all of the Greyhawk based modules along with new stuff in it.

14. raptor

raptor Title

Would just like to mention that the SPECIAL system used in Fallout was originally supposed to be the GURPS P&P RPG ruleset, but the companies broke of for some reason, and they altered what they got into what they now call SPECIAL. So if you want a ruleset like Fallout games to be remade in a computer game, GURPS is it.

They also used the SPECIAL rules in their later game Lionheart, which is a fantasy setting game with magic in case you are interested. Though not as good as Fallout.

Our Host!