New Character Portraits? Please?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maveric28, Dec 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. maveric28

maveric28 Member

If I have any real gripe with this game, it's gotta be the lack of more portraits for the PCs. There are a number of cool photos in the game, but none are available for the PCs at all... avoiding repetition, I guess, but I really wish we had more choices so all my different characters didn't wind up looking alike.

I know they've made it so you can add more pictures for PCs in other games... Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn comes to mind... but does anyone know any method of adding more portraits to this game? Is there any patch or cheat or something that would allow such a thing? If you know the answer, please include instructions for installing such a thing, and then go with the knowledge that you've likely made my day.

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I second the notion! And, if nothing else, can someone who's messing with patches rip some of the portraits from Baldur's Gate and import them for use into the next patch? I'd be happy with that.

3. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

4. ShadowDragoon

I have found my new source for ToEE junk, crud, and mostly useless but utterly cool stuff...

5. maveric28

maveric28 Member

Okay, now that we've got some pictures from that site listed above, does anyone know how to install them? I've downloaded the Zip files... Now what?

6. ShadowDragoon

That's pretty simple. First, you have to unzip them. Then, open up your C drive path to Program Files/Atari/Temple of Elemental Evil/Data/Art/Interface, and copy/paste the folder with the portraits in there. The downside? If you put in the bigger Baldur's Gate one, and maybe any of the others too, the origional portraits dissapear...a small loss, but no big deal if you really like all the portraits you're putting in place of the old ones.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Is there no way to increase the number of portaits that are selectable? I've just spent all morning downloading all the portraits (159 of them) from the site linked above surely it wouldn't take much to add another 23 rows of pictures to the thumbnail display? That's all it would take to be able to have them all available for selection (I think some from icewind dale are be duplicated - I havn't seen any of these pictures yet).

8. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

is there a neverwinter nights portrait pack aswell?

9. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

I don't believe there is nwn portrait pack, but there are tutorials on how to make portraits usable in toee (there is one at sorcerers place).

10. Algolei

Algolei Member

I'm new here, this site rocks, new portraits are highly desired, and now I'm gonna try downloading the patch you've provided!

11. Orinsul Allast

Orinsul Allast Member

Is there any way to get the portraits from the ncps for your PC, some of those ones that we only see once are really neat and it would be cool to have them for use, ie: the other adventurers, Keukoln and Non or a few of the nameless rangers etc. thanks

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes indeed, but only at the cost of losing an equal number of the existing portraits beyond the 5 or so you can add. It will also require some experimenting.

Do you have the portraits MES file in your PORTRAITS folder? If so, open it with notepad, locate the listing that corresponds to the portrait set you're looking for (this is where the experimentation comes in), and replace any of the sets under

humans
    elves
    half-elves
    dwarves
    halflings
    half-orcs

with the data from the source portrait set. The above listings are all selectable in the game for PCs. For example, if you wanted one of your PCs to look like Elmo, you could locate Elmo's portrait info under the NPCs listings, copy it, and past it over a listing for half-orcs that you know you'll never use. Be sure to do so for each of the strings in that portrait set. There are a total of 5, but NPCs don't have a large portrait, so there will be only 4 available. If you have the necessary software you could create a large portrait, but that's for another post . . .

Be sure to back up the portraits file first and rename it. Then save changes and use the new version. Next timer you run ToEE, you'll see Elmo's smiling face in one of the slots for PC portrait selection.

13. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

I was playing around with this and I can't get the NPC portrait to show up for a new PC it does overwrite the portrait of an already created character in the character vault but does NOT show up for new pc in the portraits section.

I left the first set of numbers (which I assumed designated the place)
    and the pasted in the new lines
    ex:
    {0550} {NPC_7130_b_RomagCommander.tga}
    {0551} {NPC_7131_m_RomagCommander.tga}
    {0552} {NPC_7132_s_RomagCommander.tga}
    {0553} {NPC_7133_s_RomagCommander_grey.tga}
    {0554} {NPC_7134_m_RomagCommander_grey.tga}

(this is the portrait from the demo character so there is a large portrait)

any ideas why it's not showing up for a new PC?

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

OK, here's the dealio (somewhat goofy):

Any portrait slots in the sections I enumerated above have to have one of the following in the first string (the large portrait line):

1. A big portrait designation of one of the PC portraits (can be any)
    2. A big custom portrait designation

For some reason the game won't recognize an entry that is blank in the first string, or an entry that contains a big monster or NPC portrait in the first string. I have no idea why. Thus, you can have the RomagCommander guy portrait for one of your PCs if you want, but you can't have his big portrait, the one you see in the character creation area, among others. The big portrait must either be a custom design, or one of the other PC designs. Sorry.

To clarify, here is an example of an entry that would work:

{0550} {HUM_0550_b_sorcerer.tga}

where line 0550 is the original big portrait for that set. With this you would get the human sorcerer big portrait in-game, with the RomagCommander little portraits.

Another example that would work:

{0550} {Mycustomportrait_BIG.tga}

where line 0550 is a custom portrait. With this you would likewise get the little RomagCommanders.

If you don't want big portraits that don't correspond to the small ones, one workaround would be to create a blank big portrait and insert it in line 0550. This would effectively illiminate your large portrait. A final solution would be to extract the DAT file that has portrait artwork (ToEE1 I believe) and make custom portraits from RomagCommander's art.

See this thread at Atari http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=318754 for 15 pages of discussion on the matter, if you're so inclined.

Other things to remember:

You should add custom portraits in lines starting with 3070, 3080, 3090, 3100, and 3110 (you add these lines).

You can only have a total of 42 portraits, which means a total of 5 custom unless you want to start replacing others. Just remember that any sets after the 42nd will be inaccessible, whatever the enumeration.

Good luck.

15. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

Hey thanks for that rundown Gaear.

Our Host!