Newbie questions

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by zed, Feb 26, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zed

zed Member

Hello
    First of all thanks for the mod. I thought ToEE was dead but, ... thanks!

1. I have problems with the smith. After first chat he won't barter anymore! I know that this mod is very RPG'st, but I'm really frustrated even after reading this smiths personal problems with the customers )) Is this supposed to be like that?

2. Where can I recieve a healing or cure from poison for ex? There is some church that does not give services, and some black arts dude (sorry my english), that does not either.

3. There is some kind of camp on the armory roof - does it mean that it can be accessible through a rope?

4. Perhaps you could do some game walkthrough for a newbie like me? I dont have time to solve those non obvious RPG steps (especially for non english users) to play your mod. I like the idea, and surely I would like your story (if I could)!

It would be very nice having not plain walkthough but a hint-like story faq: go there see that, think; two blank pages after: you should now got that ... etc ))

Thanks in advance,
    zed

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

1) Thats a bug. I am working on a fix - it should be straightforward (a typing error somewhere in his file) but its being suprisingly ornery.

2) Both the Curate and the Undertaker should provide Cure Poison, if you have the current patch (1.0.3)

3) Not in the Demo, no

4) I dare say a walk-through will happen soon enough, but its a bit early yet :)

3. zed

zed Member

Yes, well thanks.
    This smith issue is quite urgent to me, I have made two different parties with the same troubles. By the way both parties was Chaotic Neutral.

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Try it again after a map change or something. I have had off and on problems with getting the smith to talk to me and barter, but if you give it some time, do something else, then go back, he usually is ok.

5. cern

cern Member

Confirmation of bugged smithy.
    Does not sell a Sythe.

Sheathe your weapons, they say.
    Quarterstaff and club must not be considered weapon.
    Wooden weapons wielded by Barbarians do not hurt?

Realism = merchants trading at certain hours. But this can hurt gameplay.
    Please excuse criticisms. Otherwise, excellent effort.

6. Shiningted

Quaterstaves don't traditionally come with sheathes: nor do bows or crossbows. Or even clubs.

The scythe should be sold in the Provisioner's shop, along with all the farming implements. In the right circumstances he will give you a masterwork one.

7. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Slings have sheathes? Evidently the guard says yes.

8. cern

cern Member

Gallowglass asks that ALL weapons be sheathed (put in inventory).
    Then most weapons are auto sheathed except clubs, staves, etc
    You see my point.
    He must consider a crossbow less lethal than sling, yes.
    And sling more lethal than Barbarian wielding club.

Scythe found.

9. erkper

It's not a matter of lethality. It's more a matter of realism - how do you sheath a crossbow or longbow? A sling you just stick in your pocket, swords have sheaths, but a club, quarterstaff or bow does not. I applaud Ted for his sense of "realism" in this regard, but -

I personally find the autosheathing kinda annoying - at least I did when I travelled via the Worldmap to a random encounter ambush and all my characters still had their weapons sheathed. My opinion is that if autosheathing is to be used, you should also get auto-unsheathed when you leave the Keep.

But maybe that's just sour grapes after my party got caught with their pants down...

10. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

...i asked.

...was the answer.

Hehe...i have that problem too.
    You can exploit the crossbow/bow for that:
    equip everyone with crossbows and bows, and you could run safely (of course, if you need to change the weapon in a ambush, you still lose an action, but usually you can wipe out a random encounter in one or two rounds with a volley from all the charcters), when you arrive at the map, then switch to the corresponding weapon.
    Cheap, but useful to people with bad memory like me :grin:

11. erkper

Yeah, that occured to me, H-K, but I hesitate to use so many missile weapons with the ammo in relatively short supply.

It just wasn't something I was expecting. Maybe I was too tired to think straight - it took me two rounds to figure out why the bandits got all those AoO's :imwithstu

12. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

just equip the 10 or less arrows, just in case you forgot equiping them before leaving. I'm still using the bolts from the hermit's wood bandit encounter. :)
    They guy at the thieve's guild don't sell ammo? i can't remember.

LOL, exactly.
    I suddendly noted that on Korrac, the poor guy was really bashed. It's easy to overlook that, cos since the shield stays equipped, you don't see easily that they don't have a weapon.

13. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Or it's a secret ploy to make the Quick Draw feat more useful!

14. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Actually it is very useful. Especially for rangers or rogues. ;)

15. Shiningted

All of the above :p I could try including 'equip_best_all' in the 'scan for random encounters' thing so you always show up equipped with something, but people who hit a random encounter then avoid it will show up at the Keep with their weapons drawn, and someone will go to gaol for it, and I will have to change it again. So just get into the habit of drawing your weapons before you leave (use the auto-equip buttons like Half Knight said - much quicker).

Are people finding the provisioner and trader are re-stocking their inventories? Should be plenty of ammo in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!