Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Crikey! Thats interesting. The door also has a very high lock DC, but when you remove the magical lock flag it just opens normally (you never actually 'use' the key in the game, its all smoke and mirrors).

So... needs more smoke :mrhappy:
    Yeah, I've tried to get it to one floatline but it still carries on like that. Hate that.

EDIT: Think I've fixed it! :mrhappy:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

@krunch,

Thanks, I will give it a try. I appreciate the exact instructions, spot on! :beer:

btw...KotB ver 1.03 is running smoothly on my laptop, (Win xp sp2)

Nice job all!

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Ted
    Just tried out Animal Empathy on the Bear in the Spider Forest. My druid had to walk right up to Mr. Bear before I got the "Animal Empathy Failed" float line, and it only showed up once. As you probably surmised, the incident I was wondering about, was the wolf by the shrine. I will test out some other areas to see how well it works.
    I have another bug to report ( I will send you all the files shortly ). I loaded my save "The Ranger" and decided to rest my party right there for 8 hours ( it was midnight: game time, so I figured, "why not let the Ranger keep watch ?" . During the night, a group of various types of Skeletons attacked and were destroyed. I then rested another 8 hours without incident. I changed to the World Map and clicked on "Marketplace". I heard 1 "dash" ( the sound the game makes as it plots each point of your route on the worldmap ) and the game froze !! It didn't crash, but I couldn't get out of the worldmap. After waiting a minute or two, I used the three - finger salute to close out the game.
    One other thing, in the pub there is a book "A brief Account of the Yeomanry", Every "page" shows the exact same information.
    TRC

4. Shiningted

Your Druid with a survival of 10? Well I am glad it is actually trying Wild Empathy (even a 10 on a roll of d20 will fail 50% of the time - try to get some Wolfsbane, and make sure you have 5 ranks in Handle Animal for the +2 synergy bonus, but even then its only going to work 70% of the time), but one of the things about Survival is the higher your Survival score, the closer you can go to an animal before it will even check for Wild Empathy: so a party where everyone has a decent Survival score (recommended ;)) can move quite close to animals without the animals feeling threatened. That being said, the 'exact distance' is still being finessed, so if people think it is too close / far please speak up :)

But in any case, that wolf was fixed for 1.0.3 (the l;atest patch released a week or so ago). Are you using that? And did you clear the map cache after you first installed it?

Send me your files for the Ranger map by all means. Frankly I don't trust the random maps at all - I try never to sleep / save on them - but really they should work like any other map.

O and re the book: yes, its a 'read cover to cover' thing, I will change the format so thats not so confusing :)

5. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    I am using 1.0.3 with the cache cleared. I just tested the wolf at the shrine ( from a previous save ) and he actaully went into attack mode before I even got to "visual" range. By the way, I am seeing some creatures doing non-lethal damage, particularly randomly encountered Giant / Dire Rats.

TRC

6. Shiningted

Weird. I'll have another look at it.

The non-lethal thing is because the critters are charging. Its a bug thats always been there, but there was very little charging in the original ToEE AI so people never saw it. We figured animals etc would charge into combat so we got them to do so - this bug means perhaps you will see less charging in future ;)

7. Grom Fellaxe

Grom Fellaxe Dwarf Warrior

On the last screen at the end of the demo, the dialogue mentions "Homlett". Shouldn't it be KotB? Picky, I know. Thanks!

8. Shiningted

O dear... if thats the case, it probably played the wrong screen. I don't know why I didn't just use '1' and '2'.

9. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    I have a few more bugs to report.

1.) Regarding Animal Empathy, I didn't get any "Animal Empathy Failed" floatlines before getting attacked by the Wolf, Jackals, Constrictor Snake, and Black Bear in the North Woods.

2.) I had the "fade to black" problem with Florrin ( the Mad Hermit )

3.) The Smith's Assistant doesn't do anything when I click on him in the Armory. Later when my Rogue snuck the party into the Pub basement, the Smith's Assistant was there (he still didn't do anything).

4.) I know this is minor, and could even be considered nitpicking but some of the building interiors don't match their exterior views. All the "houses" along the south wall , the Pub, the Temple of Heironious, and the Jeweler should be aligned from the top left to bottom right of the screen. The interiors run from Bottom left to Top right.

TRC

10. Derf

Derf Member

First off, excellent work.

I’m very jazzed by this effort. I loathed ToEE initially after playing BG and IWD series, as I didn’t get the subtleties of turn-based approach for some time (Pool of Radiance 2k is still a steaming pile however)... After the Co8 patch, ToEE is exceptional – a pity game devs these days are oblivious -we could really use another MMORPG– cough.

No complaints on performance (specs below) but I can see why this engine could cause problems. I can also see from reading this thread twice in its entirety why game dev is a bitch – Godspeed guys.

Anyhoo, as this is a bug thread I’ve got some input. All observations made with a self-made party, no followers, conjures, hirelings or hire-able NPC’s as of yet; previous install of ToEE w/no-cd patch and Co8 patch 5.04 operating with no issues prior to a fresh install of KotB and 1.03 patch:

1) CTD in the marketplace: It seems that resting then resting again without leaving the Inn will eventually cause a CTD. I had a beat up party rest for 8 hours to get a new day’s worth of healing spells, healed up, the re-rested another 8 to get another day’s worth of spells and pass time until dark so I could speak to the woman in red. Any attempts to go to the tavern, travel on the world map, or even talking to Maeri resulted in a CTD. That save was irrevocably bjorked – only resting once per day is my work-around for now but annoying nonetheless.

2) Inconsistent Billy – can’t find him anywhere after I take the quest and talk to the bailiff. Never saw him when talking to the crossbow guards initially either. I’ll revisit this save and see what else comes of it. I see others have this same problem.

3) Funky use rope behavior where you save the merchant: Had a ranger with 4+ use rope and climb ability, a grapple and 2 ropes – found the secret pit and used rope easily enough, descended and saved the merchant, killed a single c. crawler then re-used the rope up. Released the merchant, no problems there. Back down the rope, no problem (well, a couple had falling damage but it’s all good) – in fact I did it a few times as my low level party had to regroup and heal a couple times. Finally went out via the back cave exit (past the giant black widow), however I hadn’t taken out the fungi at the north end of the caves as they continually kicked my ass. After leveling up, I went back to give them the what-for and surprise, rope don’t work anymore. It gives me the conversation option to use the previously left rope, but selecting that does nothing. I still have another rope and a grapple on the ranger, using those does nothing, I’m SOL to get back into the caves.

4) Wolf pelts go for 66gp and some change with the bulk goods guy (or provisioner) if you use the trade screen, but going through the conv tree results in only 20gp – for my party anyway.

5) The left edge of the world map graphic (the outermost part of the frame) is missing apparently – I have a fuchsia colored strip.

6) Something from ToEE but annoying – the time of day bar graphic is out of synch. On my game the sun part of the graphic (what I’d assume to be noon) scrolls past the arrow at around 6am, midnight according to the bar is dusk in game… is it possible to offset that graphic a quarter of its width to compensate for it’s being about a quarter of the day off? (Now that’s anal…)

7) Already mentioned by just to confirm: blacksmith doesn’t sell after initial encounter; lots of non-lethal damage dealt on initial attack (wolves, ghouls, lizards, skelllies, probably others); Flay’s convo is goofed - possible to tell him “what you learned in the forest” about the silk merchants before saving the merchant himself; able to get around gate curfew via travel on the world map; lots of mismatched maps in the browser (graveyard, thorp, lizzardman inner sanctum…); my F1/C2 has “Paladin Detect Evil” spell listed in first level spells (I have a Pally in this party too)

I understand this is a work in progress but some gameplay suggestions:

1) Add substantial margins (dark space) to the edges of all maps – The case that stands out in my mind is on the Mad Hermit map, at the north edge are the dogs that rush in and attack. If you are more or less due east or west of them, it is pretty typical that half of the party’s radial menu expands off into no-man’s-land and you can’t read/select many of the options. Also had this with the small viper encounter on the lizard man map east edge. A ToEE limitation I know, but several maps have this fault of abruptly cutting off at the edges.

2) Too many fights in (with) the foliage: spider map and hermit map come to mind. Party members and/or enemies behind the trees lead to mouse spamming the area just to find the buggers – very annoying – add in the poor pathing and it really goes too far.

3) More bolts, bullets, and arrows – love the concept of this being a place where supplies are tight, but my party at low level are the type I don’t want in melee except the two meat-shields. That and the fact that they can't hit the broadside of a barn with a bucket of crap: two with only crossbow ability, a sling wielding sorcerer, and a ranger longbower, blew through all available ammo after a couple days and I had to cheat it in just to continue.

4) No access to the world map from the main gate map – just doesn’t seem logical – already mentioned but seconded.

5) Any way to have hotspots on maps highlight or otherwise indicate interactivity? I read the players guide and got all that, but it’s still reduced to a click-fest pixel hunt when you’re seeing these maps the first time.

Jeezuz, that's probably more than enough... All right, enough bitching, in reality the vast majority here is exceptional work and I can only hope that it doesn’t go unnoticed. I just wish Atari/Trokia had Carmack’s mentality and turned over the tools to open source…

Rock on-

Specs:
    WinXP Pro – SP2
    Opteron 165 (dual core) @2800mhz
    2 Gig ram
    Radeon 1900 xtx 512MB – Cat 8.1 driver
    DFI Ultra D Lanparty (or some such nonsense - excellent mobo though)
    Onboard Realtek sound
    WD Raptor 150 gig C drive

11. SanityLost42

SanityLost42 Member

First Run through experiences. (will try and keep Spoilers to a minimum)

Full uninstall and reinstall of Dual folders (for ToEE and KoTB) following install instructions carefully.

Always have clear map Cache checked (edit 2)

KoTB - Atari 1 & 2, Co8 5.0, no 5.0.5, KoTB Demo + 1.03 (that last part is the only part I'm at all unsure of)

At this point I've done most of what I expect I'll be able to do for this run, (hence the feedback). Finished The Silk Road, Lizard V Predator, Back in the Sack, 8 legged Freaks, Grassy Gnoll, Arachno, and Suffragette.

Guild Basement's Stairs - I had trouble getting out - solved by placing a PC at the Foot of the stairs, walking up, THEN poking the Door.

Hermit Map - any time I scroll towards that mess of trees .... massive lag. I was able to work around to an extent, by keeping the screen away from the trees. Found the Mad Hermit, killed his bandits. He got distracted every time I talked to him after. The pathway south near the Corpser - Major lag, ended up impossible to move. Ctr-alt-SMASH, tried again a couple times. Snuck around to a different angle, found the single baby Harpy near a statue object, proceeded to the next map (Secret entrance to the Temple what?) Was unable to move once outside near the Ruin due to Lag.

I understand this has been worked around with some setting fixes IF you get to it before going to the map - my settings were pretty low to begin with - but not bottomed out.

CTD's - had maybe 3? (mid game, within 5 minutes of each other) all from town, or a zone from the market area, I'm afraid I can't really help much, I didn't write down where I was, or what I was doing :thumbsdow The only thing I did differently, was change the screen from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 x16 (after a couple other screwy ones - no this did not fix the Woods)

Guild hall - it was implied that I would be permitted to rest inside when I wished (after completing one of the quests) - this is not functional to my ability to do so.

Flay - Stated near the beggining of the arc that he'd need more Silk - will not accept the one I have on me - only talks about a new quest - Au Revoir. This IS after completing 8 legged though ....

All in all, much impressed - moreso as I have an idea of how much WORK this was / is. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Please keep it up! Now - to actually go for end game, and see if a new game will fix those tree's ... then ... play with the tools

(Edit add) this is probably NOT a bug - but I'm including it anyway - on the transition to the "End Game Stuff" I first transitioned to a green field - vaguely similar to the Caravan Map - for all of .5 seconds, this appears intentional - for the ending of the Demo, but it may be random ......

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  12. SanityLost42

SanityLost42 Member

New Game, ~15-20 minutes of play, save Borked, Foolishly saved in the market square.

Playing through trying to get in touch w/ the Rogue's Guild by picking as many pockets as I can ... via save / load on successes and botches, had just previously been out on a random map, rested there till I succeeded (3-4 tries) and headed back to town (had forgotten my plan) and borked my save, auto CTD's when I try and load ... time to start over ^-^

Edit: Started a new game, and made a beeline for the Laggy Trees, making NOT graphic changes from the first game. No 5 minute lock up lag, the area is playable. No real changes vs first game.:cool2: ....... this offers an odd insight to the problem :questionm

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  13. Shiningted

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

14. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I had the same problem, resting= crash.
    I've found that if you rest for a long time, everything backs to normal.
    So far, i had to rest at least 50 hours. Annoying, but you don't need to start again.

Re-enter to tower, and go out again to see if it's there. Repeat t'ill he appears.

That implies resizing all the maps; lots of work, having in mind that you can right-click the radial menu, and drag ;)

Hover the cursor on the initiative row, you'll see the blue/green/red circles for each creature

LOL...a good way to detect invisible enemies! A gitterdust effect...not so glittery :eek:mg:

Tab key would highlight a laying item (like weapons, etc); in the case of books and scrolls their graphic it's slightly different from those of the maps, just look carefully and you'll detect them; for bonus stuff, have in mind that Shiningted it's: Evil and meticulous. Look for a strange detail on the maps (hint: a laying skeleton ;) )...besides...looking for things it's part of the fun :)

15. Shiningted

And I thought I had bugs to fix - H_K's done it again. I should double his wages.

BUG FIX / PATCH UPDATE: I've been taking care of little bugs here and there, but I also got some biggies:

- after wasting many long hours on that damn Blacksmith, I finally figured it out - I had left off the 'return' at the end of his dialogue script. Putting that in not only fixed it, it brought back to life a save that had become corrupt due to all the hacking I had done trying to fix it (one of those saves that the game says can no longer load - NOT one prone to a CTD). For anyone who can't wait for the patch, just open scr / py00416Heggrim and put return SKIP_DEFAULT after the dialogue bit (look at any other script file to see what I mean).

- fixed the 'hammering in the marketplace' thing.

- fixed the 'game fade hermit disaster'. That fix should have been in the last patch but was skipped somehow: this gives me a chance to test it.

- fixed various other things.

Patch still a few days off.

Our Host!