Not enough spells to allow level-up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Snozzy, Feb 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Charisma doesn't grant Sorcerers bonus spells known at all, only spells per day. Whatever the problem is, it has nothing to do with Charisma (or if it does, that is in itself a bug).

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Adding spells to the spellbook, you need to modify the following files...

data/mes/spell.mes which has spell names and descriptions in it.
    data/rules/spelllist.mes seems to have details about how the spell is cast.
    data/rules/spell_enum.mes has the links to the fll description in Help.tab.
    data/rules/spells/*.txt are the textfiles that determine how the spells are cast in the game and who can add them to their spell lists each spell has it's own .txt file, but can be defined to be learnable by all casters or none as appropriate.
    data/scr/SPELL### - *.py contains the spell script itself, which determines what actually happens when it is cast.

### is the spell number * is the spell name.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Al. You should write tutorials. Or spells :eyebrow:

The Thrommel thing (he said, answering something nothing to do with the thread) is based on something in the original module, which likewise influenced the endslide you refered to. I was working on an expansion of that whole encounter, but I never finished it. but since he acts dopey when you first meet him, leaving him as 'Vampire' before you identify him seemed acceptable.

4. Snozzy

Snozzy Member

Thanks Allyx. I've been looking at the files you mention and searching around this forum to figure out how spells are modded. I have come across some tutorials, but not for spells.

I have been playing ToEE for almost a year on and off and am surprised to find this forum still so active, proof of ToEE's longevity and its modding potential. I look forward to playing KotB. Atari were sitting on a goldmine with this game.

Thanks again to everyone that's posted here.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, there is probably a good reason why there aren't any tutorials about spells, but I can't think of a good enough excuse... err ...reason.

The spells I have written in the past were dodgy and not really as the rules state they should be, and all the spells I made were improved apon by better scripters than me.

Basically you can make new spells by copying a spell already existing in the game and change a few aspects of it, so for Jolt you could start by copying the acid splash spell in a new slot, change Acid to Electricity everywhere it is mentioned and find an appropriate spell particle for the flashy bit, or make a new particle for it if your feeling arty.

My versions of the Power word spells were based onthe Sleep spell for the targeting code and I modified the dice effect etc. They didn't work should but they did work pretty well. The Summon Familliar spell was massively improved by CtB, and I am eternally grateful for his help, but then he studied Python to improve his knowledge and the games spells and other scripts.

Really, writing new spells without extensive scripting knowledge is more like trial and error.

Our Host!