Not enough spells to allow level-up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Snozzy, Feb 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Snozzy

Snozzy Member

I have a 9th level sorcerer who has learnt all the 0 level spells. I am ready to go up a level, but there is a 0 level spell slot available, which cannot be filled. I cannot complete the level rise without filling all the empty spell slots. I have been using an alternative version of temple.dll, so I cannot use a different one to add more 0 level sorcerer spells. I have become a fighter/sorcerer for now, but will never be able to use 5th level spells.

This sorcerer once used a spell enhancement feat that resulted in multiple mentions of Acid Splash filling several 0 level slots. I cannot remove the duplicates no matter what I do and I cannot reproduce this error to use up the empy slot !

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Create your own fake level 0 spell? Doesn't have to really work - just needs to avoid breaking game.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Hum, that's really a good idea, Zebedee...

There are lots of new 0 lvl spells, that can be made easily (as far as i understand), for example, Jolt which it's the electrical version of acid and ice cantrips...and many more :)

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a good idea :)

Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
    Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
    Know Direction: You discern north.
    Light: Object shines like a torch.
    Lullaby: Makes subject drowsy; -5 on Spot and Listen checks, -2 on Will saves against sleep.
    Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
    Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
    Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
    Summon Instrument: Summons one instrument of the caster’s choice.
    Touch of Fatigue: Touch attack fatigues target.
    Arcane Mark: Inscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible).
    Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.

Thats just the core stuff for sorcerers and bards: then there's perfecty reasonable stuff like Jolt from the additional rulebooks.

I'd make Prestidigitation if I knew how to get it into the spell list :( I've only ever done spell-like effects.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That should be called Monday Morning.

6. Half Knight

Exactly those. :)
    Indeed, the Jolt spell it's from Faerun, but it was added later as a "normal" spell. Besides, the basic cantrip aren't much useful...

hum, but wahat's the problem?
    I don't understand...:blush:

7. Shiningted

Well I've done spell-like effects, like climbing rope, Maeri's vial etc, but you notice they don't turn up in the 'spells to be learned' list (I hope they don't! :eek:mg: )

How to make sure they DO turn up, for the right class, well it certainly can be done but I personally don't know how.

8. Half Knight

Ah, i see...
    but then, that means that we can't have new spells...pity :(

9. Shiningted

Ahhh, you don't see :p It can be done because others, like Darmagon, have done it. I'm just saying I personally am not sure how, which leaves me in the unpleasant position of telling other people they have to do it. But yes, it certainly can be done.

10. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

First off, this didn't happen to me using 5.0.5 running a sorcerer that had 18 charisma to start with and 20 at level 8, I would suppose.

I am wondering what is the cause of this problem, more so, how to avoid it.

If it's a too-high charisma problem would it be possible to lower the PCs charisma to avoid the problem?

I'm running a sorcerer on my 2nd run though at 5.0.5 so I hope I don't run into this problem myself.

11. Half Knight

Well, Cujo had his spell...did he made it?
    So far, i don't think it could be that easy as adding the spell name inside the dll (in the corresponding list of spells, there)...the partsys and pyc should be the easy part, tho.

In any case, i've readed an optional rule for bards, which can change spells for cantrips (like good clerics with healing, and druids with summonings), it's way less powerful but very useful for a bard (this of course, having in mind all the options a cantrip gives in pnp games)

12. Shiningted

According to the SRD, bonus spells don't apply to 0-level spells, so that shouldn't be it.

13. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

I dunt no nuthin' bout makin' no modifications, but...

Seems to me like this is the actual problem, from the OP:

Qwinn

14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Yeah, it sounds like the OP caused the problem by hacking his game. In which case my response is "Oops, better luck next time." :)

15. Snozzy

Snozzy Member

I didn't hack it to do that, I just used the Quicken Spell feat.

The sorcerer has a charisma of 16 and 12 0-level slots, 3 of which are taken up by Acid Splash. I assume it is a bug with the Quicken Spell feat.

I have added Darmagon's spells to my game and adjusted Ray of Clumsiness to be 0-level. It's really a 1st level spell though.

Thanks for the advice.

Incidentally, (POSSIBLE SPOILERS COMING UP...) in my game I have just gotten round to getting Paida into my party to return her to Hommlett, partly because I am bored of knocking her out... I went up some stairs to Temple level 3 and there was a vampire standing there. The game went into combat mode, so I hit him and then the floating text that appears when you hover the cursor over someone has identified him as Thrommel. He looks different, more like Tarzan with a broadsword. I have not had him in my party yet, so he has just been appearing occasionally. I have heard that one of the game ending texts says that he went on to become a vampire (if you leave him in the temple), but did not expect this would happen in the game. I tried dispel magic thinking that this might be the Thrommel vampire illusion thing, along with Break Enchantment and even Heal, but he stays vampirised. I have saved the game at this point so I can play with it. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
Our Host!