Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Shiningted:

My party had seven characters when we refused to help the merchant, four full-blown PCs I rolled up and three hirelings (Angela, Brother Fist, and the dwarf who will presumably take you to the CoC in the finished version). That shouldn't be considered full, should it? (Certainly not according to the manual).

I seem to have misunderstood some of the rope stuff. Probably 100% my fault there.

You're generally kind of on the edge of the woods when the first spider battle happens. And you stay there, since the spiders cast Web in the first round and even characters who make their saving throws can barely move after that (a problem compounded by the fact that there's no way to tell where you can and can't walk other than trial and error).

Because the second fight was buggy, it would have happened in a clearing had it triggered at the correct time, but in the event, it kind of took place across two clearings with overhead foliage in between. Again, Web ensured that it stayed that way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahh, well, sorry to hear that Jeffh, but as I said I put the spiders in the clearings. I see your point. I can probably trim a tree there at the start (if I can find the right one).
    The default is 5+3. You are running 4+3, and you can also run 3+3, 2+3 or 1+3. You can't run 4+4, though, unless you change it with the PC Patch counter thing.
    :shrug: Sounds like you installed the Demo to the wrong folder. KotBFE.exe should be in the same folder as your data folders, modules folder and such. I thought I was very specific in the instructions but if you changed the name of the root folder during the install of ToEE it may have thrown you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. Ecthelion

Ecthelion Lord ofthe Fountains

Possible Issues:
    1) My cleric cast a 'Calm Emotions' spell. It's now permanent--my characters have the fuzzy halo around their heads, even if I hit 'stop concentrating', 'dismiss spells', sleep for days, etc.
    2) Every once in a while, my characters refuse to use stairs. For example, after subduing Billy, I was able to enter the top level of the tower, but none of my characters would take the stairs down to the bottom. I had to run back out onto the wall and then use the world map to go to the main gate, and then return to the bottom level from the outside to return the bow and complete the quest. At the Guildhall, I was trapped in the basement because no-one would use the stairs back up. Etc.
    3) It should be made more clear how to get credit for completing a quest from the list on the bulletin board. Finding someone in the bar at night to tell him what you've learned is counter-intuitive.
    4) Merchants don't seem to restock their inventories. This is a big problem for missles--the first time I played I didn't buy the full 600 missles from the caravan, and I quickly ran out of quarrels and had to stand around 'resting' in the wilderness hoping to be ambushed by crossbow-wielding bandits that I could loot.
    5) I'm too stupid to figure out the scavenger hunt in the ruined tower. I suppose that doesn't count as a 'bug', though.

That's all for now--I'm having so much fun playing, I'll have to go look for more. :)

4. Shiningted

Hmmm... well I guess the spell permanency bug was always going to show up. I think I'll give that one to the gypsy.

Refusing to use stairs... :shrug: I find when something like that happens it means I've got an NPC selected or nearest to the stairs / door / etc. Try using PC, I guess.

The bulletin Board: well, you don't have to go see the Bailiff by night in the Pub: you can go see him in his office by day, that would be the intuitive (and logical) thing to do, I should think. But I'll add a line to the Provisioner's dialogue so that he recommends you do that.

Not all the inventories are set to respawn (you're in a frontier military post, if stuff gets sold out its gonna stay sold out for a while). The Trader and Provisioner, though, should both respawn. I'll test that.

Glad you are having fun :)

5. relic

relic Established Member

Ted,

I have had problems getting out of the Guild basement too. Basically, if I go into the Guild basement, I can't get out. I selected a PC and still couldn't get out. It happens w/ the first patch, but I'm not sure about the second.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  6. Shiningted

Ok, that may be a problem :) I'll look at it. Thanks for confirming that issue then.

Looking at Ecthelion's post again (trust a guy with a tower named after him to pick this up :p) the lack of pathing causes problems in the top level of the tower, even though its only a tiny map: you've sometimes got to maneouver your PC right next to the stairs icon. Annoying, I know.

7. Smythers00

Smythers00 Member

I followed the instructions to the letter (Yes, I installed the Demo to the proper folder)... I've even played it once (very nice work by the way...) Now everytime I try to launch an app on my laptop it throws up that error message. My OS (XP home) is acting like every app I want to launch *should* be c:\program files\Atari\Temple of ELemental Evil\KotBFE.exe, so it throws up the error message.

Humph... well obviously I did *something* wrong, as I don't believe it's in your program to do this. The question is what? And how to correct it? (and come back here and report the fix incase someone else has the same problem).

If anyone has any ideas, please send me a private message.

Thanks.

UPDATE #1

Hopefully this info proves useful, or at least entertaining.

I managed to reboot in safemode, after much mucking around it seems like I somehow managed to reattribute any and all app files (ie: *.exe) to run KotBFE.exe

I found this out when I deleted my entire Temple of Elemental Evil directory and now the problem has changed slightly... instead of trying to launch KotB, it asks which program I would like my app attributed to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Dwarf Cleric can't use 2nd Level Spells ??

Hi
    Having a good time on my second go through, but I discovered a possible bug. I got Korrac the Dwarf Cleric to join my group, and after a stint in the Spider forest, he made 3rd Level. I leveled him up as a Cleric, and everything is OK except that Korrac can't select any 2nd Level Cleric spells to use !! I know he has enough wisdom to use 2nd Level Cleric spells because his spell selection "window" says that he can cast up to 3 2nd Level Cleric spells per day. He also has a +3 bonus for any skills ( such as Heal ) that
    are wisdom based.

TRC

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Just to save Ted some time:

I don't believe it's the permanency problem.
    This is a bug from ToEE, the "calm emotions" spell leaves the glowing effects on charcters that wear some head equipment (hats, headbands or helmets), so the glowing effects gets attached to the item (even if it's invisible in game, like the hoodless circlet). But none of the spells effects.
    Just in case, look at your character portrait; if it's permanency you'll se the flag as "calmed".
    As Ted said, that's probably cos some charcter (probably a NPC) it's standing right in front of the door. You need to select a PC, but sometimes even that doesn't work, so move the closest charcter of the door.

That's cos he's a level three charcter, not a level 3 cleric...didn't you wondered why he can use a warhammer? Look at their feat list ;)

10. Shiningted

Is there anything Half-Knight can't do? :hug: I wouldn'a picked up either of those.

Korrac is indeed a Fighter 1 / Cleric 1. I realise people can't see that but I didn't think it would actually throw folks ;)
    Well, I was going to get KotBFE to actually do that - after all, once installed it IS the only program you will ever need :icon_chuc But I didn't. No idea how you managed to do that!

11. NLB03

NLB03 Member

Archers

Not sure if this has been identified by anyone yet or not. But, I got visited the Corporal and got the Corporal to assign 3 Archers to me. When they were assigned they weren't added to my characters on the bottom of the screen. But, they did travel with me as I moved around the map. Then I met a random encounter and the archers acted like cardboard cutouts, they just stood there. When it was their turn the game just skipped right over them. Everytime one of them came up they were skipped over. Now the enemy had no problem attacking them and killing them but all they did was stand there and die.

Now I haven't been to visit the wizard with them so I don't know what they would do if they encountered the wizard. But, in other encounters they are useless other than as target dummies.

12. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Re: Archers

That's righ.
    They're followers, much like animal companions, not NPCs.

that's probably the AI, setting them to ready action vs spell. So if none cast a spell they wouldn't do anything.
    that's how i defeated easily the lizardmen, cos they just waited for my wiz to cast, and i just shoot'em down, while they where stood there doing nothing.

13. Smythers00

Smythers00 Member

Actually, I'm more than certain it's not a program bug now... my Hard drive is like 38% fragmented (it's never that much, I defrag daily), so my amature conclusion is I'm experiencing these problems because of some kind of hardware failure.

No big loss... I will fix.

:chainsaw:

14. Shiningted

I think that was changed in patch 2 (so the lizardmen basically never ready versus spell, cause they are savages after all and in most cases, thats a waste of a move) and will be improved again in patch 3. As for the Corporal's archers, its an AI bug rather than anything else, methinks. Though they DO reset their AI on reaching the wizard - when they hit that map they automatically go ready vs spell. So should the mercenary archer chick.

EDIT: Liv actually wrote quite a complicated thing to determine whether readying versus a spell was a good idea (based on how many levels of caster there are in the party, plus some randomosity) but that sort of stuff shows the difference between theory and actual game-play. In most cases you want the archers plugging away, not readying, and if the archer is the last man standing you never want him readying. on the other hand, ready vs spell is ideal (i suspect) for the archers in Lord Axer's place: a tougher fight where the party are more likely to use spells.

So while we've got excellent AI scripts to use, there still has to be refinement for each encounter.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  15. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

>> Maeri doesn't acknowledge completion of the holy-water-on-the-altar quest in the Northern Oak Woods. I had the One Big Harpy Family quest at the same time. Can't think of anything else relevant.

Our Host!