Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

With my party I had used it on a longsword. It had no visible effect (didn't change weapon description, or icon), and as far as I can tell, had no effect in combat.

Well, he assuredly offered cures (once you've done with his quests...)

As in 'having a bad install'?

2. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

THAT reputation!!!???!???! :eek:mg:

Quite unexpected really... unless my bad game gave me the wrong reputation?

[Spoilers]

Is it supposed to have something to do with the guild?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nah, not a bad install - just sometimes things don't work in the game. Well, thats what I've found after oodles of playing ToEE: sometimes things just stuff up. For instance, you've had a problem with something that isn't working in this game but usually does: you could reinstall, I'd say just wait and see what happens next time (the Demo is so short, may as well ;))

The reputation is bugged <sigh> Don't know what I was drinking that night to get the rep so badly wrong - not like I wrote the next number in the list or something. Anyways, both the quest and the reputation are both fixed now, something for 1.0.3.

EDIT: Dammit! I checked Nobby - I had gone to the trouble of making all the new poisoned weapons AND getting him to differentiate between what was what, then I never got around to finishing it. Grrr....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Yeah, it didn't disturb my enjoyment of the game, in the least. I just wondered if I had done something wrong.

Cool! Well, I think I'll wait until 1.03 before starting a new game (that depends on when it is due...).

Just finished my second walkthrough, and this time I pretty much managed to do as many quests as I think you can... :rock: Got all the thieves guild ones, which were really nice. [BTW, just wondering: the 'skank' reputation is a consequence of not managing to take the corporal somewhere other than the tower, right?]. Also went to the end of the Maeri related quests... awesome!

Well, you're doing an excellent job just keeping track of all the feedback we're handing you... Great work!

5. Shiningted

I forget how you get the skank reputation precisely, but yeah, you should be able to be discreet AND get away with it without actually doing the deed. Hint: Read the Ultimate Adventurer's Handbook :)

6. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

It was a shortsword which didn't get poisoned. It was in the dialogue character's inventory, and there was another one in someone else's inventory. IIRC, he took two different vials of poison, as well as not actually poisoning anything. Better x2 check he doesn't just clear out your entire poison store.

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Ok, now i'm having troubles.

I've cleared the hermit's wood, and killed all the harpyes, so far everything fine.
    I go back to the keep, and reclaim my reward for the harpyes, everything fine.

Now i'm stucked, cos every change of map, the game crashes. I can't go out of the keep, can't go to the tavern, or Inn, every time i enter a new map, i get a CTD. I've passed time (since i can't enter the Inn, it's the only way), but still, i got the CTDs.

-i can load with no problems.
    -I clean the cachè.

I have a mercenary hired (which stripped me of all money, by the way), which his contract time must be about to expire, or should have spired...could that be the problem? :scratchhe

8. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Started a new 1.02 game. LG party, witch cleric and paladin of heironeous. Started out fine, did the usual talking and quest acquisition in the Keep.

- At the bar, everyone is properly dressed.

- Experienced severe graphic slowdown at the pond next to the hermit's (it started off when the corpser appeared and attacked); tried to change video settings, to no avail; saved; quit the game; started it up and loaded the savegame; had the same slowdown; quit the game again, restarted and went back to an older save in the north woods, and this time kept a good distance away from the enlarged trees, and also moved my part slowly... (Iwould click half a screen at a time, and only click again when the party had reached their previous destination) that seems to have done the trick... no more slowdowns.

- Haven't tested animal companions yet (that was one of my reasons for trying out 1.02...); as soon as I have, will inform you.

- Have tested paladin's detect evil and it works really well: you get the detection cone: when the harpies entered in it, nothing happened, but when it was the paladin's turn in combat, the harpies started showing their red auras. Awesome!

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

-Ok, had to pass (not rest) 50 hours to avoid crashing but it worked. But the mercenary didn't leave as he said, after 3 days (and nothing said in the dialogue), so he will probably have an accident in the Lizardmen map, since he has wasted all my money, and doesn't leave (now i can't buy arrows...heck, i can't buy anything)

-In the thieves guild, the guy that asks for password has some problem when looted, the bracers of archery are completely messed.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

You must reload from a save from prior to entering/exiting a building between each attempt to find a "working" door. I did not keep track of which door did what, nor did I retry same door with reload to see if it would work again. This was done with new game started on a fresh KotB build and played to appropriate level. I have now started a new game on the same build but have gotten to that level yet. The sewer entrance is unfindable again (new or old concentrated search).

Above from my post #156

I'M WRONG about having to reload each time. Just go in and out of doors until the ranger is up on the wall.

Entering the Temple of Hextor and killing everyone causes a CTD whenever I click on the log book at any later time, including saving and reloading or restarting KotB. I guess this means I'm messing up a quest or something. Golly gee! I've enjoyed destroying the reinforcements first (poor Lareth) ever since I was a little tyke running in jungle jammies for my dear sweet Uncle Sam.

11. Shiningted

Regarding going in and out to get Billy to appear - really, you should only have to do that once in the right area. Each time you arrive on the map his first heartbeat will fire and if the conditions are there for him to appear, he will (conditions being identical to the other guards, of course). But I will still try to streamline it to make sure everyone turns up at once.
    Our 'fix' for Paladin's detect evil is something else entirely, but it was realised a while back, if you fired it and let it go for a while, it would kick in on its own in accord with the rules that it takes time for the Paladin to concentrate.
    Its A problem, yes.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

When fighting Axer and his minions in his throne room, the two guards by the door you entered from do not turn hostile. One of these guards will turn hostile when re-entering the room from the guarded door to the left, (room with the legionnaire) He turns hostile only after the doorman starts a fight with me, then it's just the doorgaurd that's closest to me. The other one never goes hostile. I've ran through this 4 times.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  13. Shiningted

Yah, its been a problem for a while. I'll have another look at it.

One problem the game has is line of sight: sometimes, NPCs just act like they are blind. People who steal stuff might sometimes notice that they can thieve right under certain NPCs' noses and never a word is said: they can't seem to see it.

One of the drawbacks of modding without the official tools, I suspect :shrug: Something similar happens in the Thieves' Guild: I tried forcing the NPCs into combat via script but it still didn't seem to work. Anyways, I'll keep at it, but normally just setting 2 NPCs to the same faction should be enough for them to go into combat simultaneously, and that whole room are certainly the same faction.

14. tkobo

tkobo Member

The trade route quest for Axter shows as completed, even though it still has steps to go apparently.

It shows as completed once you talk to the guild and than the castellan.BUT the castellen doesnt talk about the route, and simply send you to the caves.

If you dont enter the caves ,but instead use the world map to go back to axter,he gives you a "name to drop" (master something)to get the castellan to agree to peaceful existance with axter and thereby an open trade route from the guild.

BUT than if you go back to speak to the castellan again to drop that name, you get the new line with the mention of the masters name at the gate, and get sent thru to see the cast,but the whole area in now inactive and no one including the Cast. will interact with you.
    They all have a line for text numbered "1", but than no text after the 1.

15. Smythers00

Smythers00 Member

Big Problem!

Hi,

I've d-loaded and installed KotB as per the instructions given, now anytime I boot up my computer, I get tons of error messages saying:

"This program must be started from the Temple of Elemental Evil root Folder. Note: if you are running the front-end from the game folder but still getting this error, make sure you have installed the official ToEE patch 2 before continuing."

Ok, first thing, I already have ToEE patch 2 installed.

Second, this is happening directly on boot-up, I have 49 of these windows. Anytime I try to start an application, I get the same error message. These 49 windows are most likely the programs which are set to load at start-up seeing as I cannot find any programs loading.

I figure something on my system (microsoft .net 2?) got corrupted somehow. I don't think this is necessarily a bug of your programming... but I'm not sure.

I can't connect to my network or internet with this computer and I tried the windows XP restore (didn't work).

Lil' help?

Smythers

P.S> Sorry if this is a rehashing of a previous post, I didn't take the time to sift through all those posts... have a class to go to.

Our Host!