Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Ok, the corpser was a really funny surprise (despite of having nearly killed my fighter...damn, i hate that mersenne...and that imbecile, useless fighter)... but what's the deal with it?
    The stupid little critt attacked me on sight, and the hermit joined him, without giving me the chance to talk. (btw, the panther it's wonderful *sighs with stisfaction* tho i forgot about the portrait- now incoming- :) )

And just fyi:

-I didn't have any problem with hermit's wood, no lag and no crashes, the trees vanishes in ocassions ( i know, an engine problem) when they are on the limit of the screen, but in fact it's useful to look if there's something, or there's a way to walk; aside of that, worked perfectly. (i still wonder what's the green thing under the hermit's red tree...a cabbage?)

-I know it's reported by people, but i didn't have the hammering noise in the market at night.

-Though the Fanny and the bartender changed clothes, i have no crashes, or corrupted files, everything seem to work fine.

-I have any problem with doors, every one seem to be in it's place. In fact, my elven cleric makes the thing really easy by detecting every secret door automatically.

The only really annoying problem it's the main gate:
    in an out of the keep consumes between 3 to 5 hours! I just wanted to talk with outside guards (i loved the female guard story of the dwrves!) and suddendly i found myself outside at night, with no chance of entering of course. It happened everytime, if you in, and if you go out. the same thing seems to happen ocasionally with the house of the jeweller (but not as often, just 1 of 10 times more or less)

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I'll turn that down to ten minutes or so ;)

And I guess i can... ummm whats the opposite of 'embiggen'? 'Ensmallen'? Well, reduce some of the trees on the hermit map. And here I thought it would be the Spider Woods that would cause all the performance issues.

EDIT: O and the corpser is just a critter from a favourite game of mine that somehow crept in. Actually, the Demo is awash with subtle references to that game and no-one has mentioned a-one yet :( (No gross vulgar 'meet characters from the game' references, that would be inappropriate).

I hope you know what a Yabbie is!

2nd EDIT: Ok, the time thing is done. Its now 1000 seconds. (Hmmm thats 16 2/3 minutes - a reasonable time to get a gate open and traipse a party through it.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  3. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

It's not him. He was in the party and it worked for me.

4. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

Yes, and don't forget about the mercenaries. I hired the dude with the spear early in the game, figuring he could help me with the first few scrapes, but then the freeloading bastard wouldn't leave (no dialogue option). He ran me down to 2 gp, and when I didn't have enough to pay him, he still wouldn't leave! Luckily, he had a little "accident" out in the field, or I never would've made any coin.

Strangely, he was replaced in the Green Gryphon by another just like him.

5. Half Knight

Have you waited for the three days to pass? They should leave after that.

6. Half Knight

Well, i personally didn't have any problems with that, but it would solve some problems for another players, i'm sure.
    maybe instead of changing them, you could take out some.
    Fanny would probably say "sometimes, the size it's not the problem, but the quantity" ^_^

Ah ok. I thought that the corpser was something like a pet of the hermit.
    In any case, i don't have much "cultural gaming knowledge", sorry :blush:
    I've must missed lots of those references, as i know and played a small quantity of games, to be honest.
    A Yabbie it's a crustacean, Cherax Destructor ^_^ Sorry, no, i don't know him. Tho my fighter seems to really hate them, since it's the only thing that managed to hit (and i mean the ONLY) and most of the times with criticals.

7. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

- On Maeri's vial: Something apparently failed to recognize the vial Maeri gave me as the relevant quest-related item. I tried a number of things to use it, as already mentioned. I then thought of consoling it, for testing, and the consoled one worked perfectly. [BTW, amazing and deadly combat that one is... I couldn't touch Carrak at all... thank god for touch spells, and spontaneous castings of inflict spells... I must also say that I'm even more impressed by my bard: at level 4, with spell focus and greater spell focus on enchantment, and using the wand of eagle's splendor, he managed to succesfully use the 'hideous laughter' spell on Carrack three consecutive times... without the bard, my party would've been toast].

- On Neutralize poison/remove disease from clerics: I've tried it now with Flay as well, and it doesn't work... you spend the money, but your character's disease is not removed.

- When you tell him of the hextorian temple in the Thorp, the cleric of Heironeous asks you to 'confirm' its existence... you go back to Axer's Thorp and everything is as usual. Go back to the temple of Heironeous, and you get just the standard dialog options... is this a loose end?

- Giving away the 'entertainer' to Axer makes your logbook flash, but the quest is not thereby completed.

- Regarding the North Woods map, I have not once experienced any inconveniences: there might be a slight slowdown, but nothing really annoying to handle...

8. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

>> I jumped through the hoops to get the poisoned blade in the Keep; in the end I lost the poison, but didn't actually get any weapon upgrade
    >> The forest slows down for me on high resolution too, and I have a machine built for graphics

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Couple of minor joinable NPC things.

Milo's missing one 1st level spell,at the start. On the levelup screen going to level 2 magic missile shows up as a level 0 spell. He gets his additional L0 spell, but no additional L1 spell. Note that magic missile still casts as a L1 spell; the display error is only at levelup.

Two Swords' weapons say they're katanas, but apparently they are really bastard swords, which is her proficiency. She also has more feats than she should, but I guess that makes up for her lousy stats.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Katana's have always used the Bastard Sword feats as it is the only feat that accurately describes how a Katana profiency should work.

NPC's were rolled manually for KotB to insure they aren't so overpowered that you should never adventure without them IIRC, Two Swords' extra feat I beleive was intended by her designer.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Running 1.02 now. Here are a few changes I noticed.

1. Dragon now has elbows. :)

2. Dragon chest now turns cursor into a gloved hand, can still pick the lock, but can't open the chest. Character goes through the motions of opening it though.

3. Not sure if a bug, after accepting quest from Axer, I have a hextor priest appear every time I enter an area casting bless. He doesn't follow me, just casts and stands there. He's not in my party, but I can select him and move him around.

4. I ctd when coming out of the inn after resting. (with 1.02) Have not reproduced it though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  12. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Still playing 1.01.

Noticed someone mention the fact that you could kill the priest of hextor twice. Indeed you can (and get twice as much plunder). If you kill him and his goons in the temple, and only after that attack Axer, he (and some of his goons) reappear to reinforce Axer.

Not sure if this has been adressed before.

13. Shiningted

yah, it should be addressed in 1.0.2 ;) try it and see.
    Specifically mentioned NOT to be fixed in the 1.0.2 patch :no: Glad the Dragon has elbows though: but I didn't touch that map.

Two Swords gets an extra feat for the same reason Jinnerth the tailor in Village of Hommlet can throw knives like a 7th level fighter: because NPCs can have rules-breakingly interesting backgrounds. Otherwise I have tried very hard to make the NPCs interesting rather than overpowering (complete with rolling them, yah).

Milo's spells: yeah, they are screwing up, aren't they? I have no idea why, I set him up like the rules. More to the point, I set him up like Angela, who works. Maybe its a halfling thing. I'll try again.
    Sometimes i forgot the tedious mechanics of making the good ideas actually work ;) But what sword of weapon was it?
    Mannes will Cure Disease in 1.0.3: Flay offers to heal you? Didn't think I had implemented that bit yet.
    Sounds like you are having a bad game.
    Maybe - but there is a difference between realising, through bardic knowledge or whatever, that Axer is a Hextorite (which you can report), and actually going in to the Hextor Temple and encountering the cleric (which is what the Curate is asking for). I'll look at it.
    Thats a bug - but you DID earn a reputation ;)

14. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Okay, I've read the posts on the first two and the last page. I apologize if I duplicate something that's been reported in between.

DEFINITELY BUGS:
    • When exploring the spider woods, the second time I encountered a group of spiders, the combat music started, but no fight began. I could continue moving my party around normally; I even walked right between the two spiders in question without them doing anything about it. Then I encountered a black widow a bit further along, and then it went into combat.
    • Jerkiness and generally sluggish performance in spider woods and the cave below same.
    • My characters didn't get any options to help the merchant trapped in the cave. They could either flat-out refuse, or ask what was in it for them. Even after choosing the latter option, they refused to help. No options to do anything else were given. My party is predominantly chaotic good.
    • Combat music kept speeding up and slowing down during a couple of fights with stirges in said cave.
    • Lockup in said cave (similar to what happens on level 4 of the Temple and later in the original game)

NOT NECESSARILY BUGS, BUT SEEM LIKE SIGNIFICANT OVERSIGHTS
    • Not being able to see your party members (or where the path is) half the time in the spider woods is very frustrating. If a way to do transparency effects can't be found, someone needs to trim the foliage, big-time. (Perhaps this is a deliberate attempt to make the fights there harder, but making basic game functions artificially difficult to execute isn't a very good way to accomplish that.)
    • After being ambushed in the northern woods and reading the note (which I could do just fine once I started a new game), and having to return to the keep to lick my wounds anyway, the obvious thing that 90% of self-respecting D&D players are going to do at this point is confront Lady Maerie. After all, she has essentially tried to murder us, or so it appears. But there are no options to do this. (I settled for simply killing her in the street.)
    • If you have to leave a rope behind when you use it to climb into a cave, shouldn't it be possible to use it to climb back out again?

I like a lot of what you guys have done. The dialogue in particular, as I've mentioned before, is really well-done, probably better than in ToEE. But I think I may wait for the finished product rather than continue with KotB as it currently exists. Not because I hate this one, I certainly don't, just because I've got oodles of other games I haven't played yet! But I certainly wish you all the best, and if I do continue playing, I will continue providing whatever feedback I think might help.

15. Shiningted

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. By all means enjoy your other games.

Regarding your bugs (or the non-performance-issues ones)
    I've checked the dlg file, the only way this can be happening exactly as you describe is if your party was full. Did you have lots of NPC followers or possibly change your party numbers then forget?
    Yeah, they will. That bit's unfinished. Lady Maeri is a long-term character for the game who shouldn't be killed off so early.
    Yes it is. But you need another rope to activate your climb ability, since thats how climbing works. So if there are x holes in the game, you will need x+1 ropes, assuming you fail all your use rope checks. Annoying, perhaps, but thats the way it works. I guess I could run the climbing thing off the Concetrated Search item, but to have people plummeting down holes left right and centre because they had no rope is no fun for anyone.
    Ahhh, noooooooo... on the contrary, all the monsters in the spider woods have quite deliberately been put in the clearings so while you might spend a lot of time running under trees (since you are in a forest) you never have to fight under them. If you are careful.

As for pathing - The Spider Woods is so complicated it broke Agetian's pathing tool. Thats one of its charms.

Our Host!