Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Well, regarding the CTD, I've just replicated it. Went back to an older saved game, did all the talking, entering and exiting buildings I wanted, with no problem...

Saved the game once more, and went to the inn. Rested. Saved in another slot.

Went out. Tried to enter the bar (daytime). It showed the bar, with all daytime characters in it. But before you could do anything CTD.

Loaded the saved game (after resting). Left the Inn. Went to the world map and travelled to the north forest. On teh way, had an encounter with kobolds. The random encounter opened (showing map and monsters, all frozen) and then CTD again.

Loaded the save game (prior to resting). Could move into building or to different overland encounter areas.

So, that's it for now. My party (with three down) can't rest, so basically I can't have them explore much more. Any free, safe spot to rest?

2. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

im currently looking for one also

3. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Interesting development. When I rested for only 8 hours, and only once, I had no CTDs on ma transitions. I have been able to do this a couple of times. So what I do is I rest, go out, enter the tavern, get out, return to the inn, sleep, go out, etc.

Apparently that avoids the CTD. Anyone else tried this?

4. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

shiningted i also cannot open the chest by the dragon i did everything includeing picking the lock and it iz indeed unopenable

sowwy about spamming the thread im only trying to help

i was only resting 4 a day thas it then ctd

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats cool - its what the thread is here for.

I've done some testing:

- i couldn't replicate the pub crash thing (though I have had it in the past) with many attempts but then I only tried sleeping 8 hours (I always do). I'll retry doing something else.

- i DID replicate the Dragon's chest thing also: thats a confirmed bug. I couldn't replicate Sirchet's other issues, though one occasion I looted one item from the dragon's body, brought up a different player to loot a different item, and found he had to go into combat mode to 'open' the dragon. Weird.

I'll keep testing. Many niggly bugs crushed also.

EDIT: Just to make sure - so you guys were resting for days at a time to fully heal?

6. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

In my case I had three characters (and both healers) with negative hp. So I rested multiple 8 hour periods (I believe it was three or four, until my druid got stable enough to heal herself). I did not use the 'rest until healed' option, nor did I set the time to 24 hours. I rested 3 x 8 hours.

When I did that, I had the crash.

When I rested 8 hours, left the inn, entered another building, exited that building, returned to the in, and rested (8 hours), I had no CTDs.

7. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

i was resting at the other apartment manager's place (for lack of a better description) after paying 50 gp for the month. while in the loft, my cleric was trying to heal my front line guy but couldn't. her hands would glow red like she was beginning the spell, but they would just stay red. the same thing happened with potions. i could, however, have one of my other party members exit the loft and the spell would end with no healing have taken place. i tried this multiple times even after resting to no avail. the other party members could be healed, just not the first character. i'm currently in the swamps, so i'm not sure if it works now. i'll have to go back afterwords and check it out.

ps> sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread. i have just been skimming so as not to come across any spoilers. oh, and about the sluggish controls, the only thing i've noticed is that i can't tell my party to move that far or around corners, or only one or two members will move while the others stay behind. this was also a problem in the original mod, just not as bad. but i'm having a blast so far ... great work.

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

My Paladin's Detect Evil abilty looks as though it's cast (the Pally glows breifly) but no glowing area of effect and no way of knowing if it actually worked.

Had a CTD going into the Heironeous temple at night, but couldn't reproduce it.
    The new AI is a little odd, ranged attacks in melee range etc... but generally, I'm loving it so far, got a bit nearvous chatting to Lord Axar with my 1st level group of characters, especially with the pally, but had a nice chat, and no-one got killed, yet. ;)

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Movement has always been touchy but if you go slow, avoid obstacles, do 90degree turns in 2 steps and just go short distances a click at a time, then the lag isn't so noticeable. ToEE is the same way, especially in the temple. I haven't had a ctd or an obvious bug yet, so maybe some people have install problems or winzip isn't working quite right(not unusual). The Co8 team has done a great job of making the mod playable, and the bugs will get fixed as the game engine will allow.

10. Shiningted

Ok... I'll keep testing the pub.

Allyx: can you give me some background on the CTD going into the Church? That one pops up occasionally too. I am wondering if there is something up with Brother Fist.

The 'can't cast spells upstairs' issue might just be that there is no room for the characters to get next to each other and cast the spell effectively. Its kinda cramped up there.

Better news - I've found the pathnode file for the Outer Bailey, and it does make a difference :) I'll try to get a patch going some time today.

EDIT: O and Al - thats why I left the AI floatlines showing, so we can pick up any weird AI moments. Melee characters should not be using the ranged strategy: where did you see that?

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

IIRC I was going into the church at night (may have been late day - not too sure), I had brother fist in my team, andit CTD'd as the keep map was fading to black, too fast to have loaded (and been caused by) the church interior IMO.

The AI issue was one of the Lizardmen, he was throwing javelins on the ridge by the (moathouse) swamps, my melee attackers had him pinned on the ledge, it 's probably just that the Lizardman didn't have a melee weapon, but Ialso had similarwierdness fromrnadomencounter goblins, attacking in melee, then running around to another target provoking AoO's as they went.

There doesn't seem to be anyone selling bolts and arrows that I can find, and the eary game at least doesn't have any as loot. And I also had the pub CTD at night. Are you spawning the characters in the pub ted? or using the day/night xfer?

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Allyx: check the blacksmith and the repair guy inventory...I've bought arrows and bolts, both...and someone had ammo to sell for a sling, too...and it is always wise to buy them from the shop map at game startup.

13. Shiningted

I spawn the drunks in the pub, but everyone else is a mob.

I think I'll try to polish those Lizardmen: the random monsters are a bit harder, since they can spawn with either melee or ranged weapons, but Liv has written scripts for that too :)

14. tkobo

tkobo Member

Ive had many ctds.

Some when i have a random encounter,some when i enter the pub at night,,some when i tried to save the game, some when i try to travel by world map to the swamp,etc..

I now have two saved games,that wont load.Attempting to load them results in a ctd.

One thing ive noticed, is that i "think" all my crashes have been when the game was in the evening.
    Out of the 12+ crashes ive encountered, i cant think of a single one that took place during the games daytime period.

Almost forgot, the bartender seems to lose his clothes at night.He standing behind the bar in his briefs.

FIXED

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  15. Shiningted

Are you using Windows 98, tkobo?

Has anyone else had this issue with the bartender?

Our Host!