Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have gone back through the Lizardman Hunting Grounds numerous times, with anti-virus disabled, and can sometimes loot the items scattered about, (they appear randomly different) and sometimes cannot loot these items on the ground. My rouge can pick the lock on the chest, but cannot open it. Every reload I could not open the chest.

As for the elbowless dragon...follow the link

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee70/sirchetb2/dragon.jpg

I keep forgetting to mention the GREAT! Co8 symbol when loading. Who made the Circle of Flaming Eights that shows between Troika and Atari?

IT'S FREAKIN GREAT!

ps...don't spam me for the high HP of my test characters, they're test characters that blow thru to the spot I need to retest.:p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

The first time I ran the game the middle merchant was naked and had no diaglogue,
    the second time I ran the game the merchant was dressed and worked properly, my
    inventory (including my chosen weapons) were gone, but I had the search tool.

Your supposed to remove weapons in town, is that enforced, I don't know, but I noticed
    my 2 crossbow still have their weapon wielded, while the swords got pushed into inventory.

The pathing town is annoying, I can lose half my party trying to cross a single screen,
    I'm sure it's a pain in the ass to fix, but I hope that something can be done about it.

3. fitzlevity

fitzlevity Member

Very unresponsive touchpad controls. +/- arrows during character creation need multiple clicks, right click to bring up radial menu works about 1 in 5 attempts, same deal for left click to move party. Frustrating but loooooove what I am seeing. Eye candy galore!

Running on HP Compaq 8510w, have had no issues with TOEE or other CO8 mods.

Cheers

4. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Dont know if this is a bug or not, but my whole team has been getting very crappy rolls, under 10 most of the time, and the monsters get e few 20s every encounter and I get a few 1s. Never seen nothing like this while playing toee.. Is that meant to even out the palying field, or is it just really crappy luck. Great game by the way..

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Just crappy luck. And it happened a lot in ToEE, but the charcters had more levels, more items, best equipment, etc when you had the first real dangerous encounter.

Indeed, the engine seems extremely shitty though...
    Korrac missed EVERYTHING, from attack rolls (he get a 1 the first round of every encounter, and missed always after that!) to turning attemps, to skill checks...my fighter missed almost every attack, and my wizards can't copy any scroll, even when they have 18 int, maxed spellcraft, and the scholar kit.
    But my cleric seems to be a killing machine (just to change, i've made her elven from Elhona, and it's a really good choice), with 20 dex, she killed almost every rat in the sewers, scored 8 criticals (with a longbow!), destroyed in just one attempt the undeads, and their healing spells cure always the maximum...she's also the first or second to act in initiative (only bested or seconded by, of course, the enemys, even the lousy rats) :rock:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry HeJason, but the Mersenne Twister is utterly infallible and NEVER EVER fails to deliver thoroughly randomised outcomes. Its in your head...

or possibly in these threads HERE, HERE, and HERE ;) But it ain't our mod.

@ Sirchet - that certainly looks like he hasn't come above water. Sounds like his file is screwing up. It happens sometimes. For example:
    Thats a classic example of what we have to deal with. The more complicated the script, the more likely the game will fail to deliver consistently. If the script is broken or doesn't work, well, fair enough, it doesn't work and we fix it. But if it works some of the time, well, we have a working script - a broken script will never work, generally won't even compile - but if it doesn't work some of the time (all things being equal, as they are when you first start the game) then we have a problem with the engine which runs across a working script but doesn't want to fire it. Unfortunately we have had those since day one. Some examples would be:

- spells which end correctly some of the time, and leave the spell effects on some of the time

- Detect Evil, which works some of the time and doesn't work - well, most of the time (we fixed that :))

- the reward for Prince Thrommel failing to show up some of the time

- the Balor's death, which causes a CTD some of the time

- everything about Belsornig, which we are still trying to fix

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind you guys bringing this stuff up, and I will certainly look into any and all issues. But if I run a script and it works, and there is nothing else influencing it, then I can't 'fix' it if the engine decides not to run it based on the phases of the moon or the CBS fall line-up or whatever reason it internally is coming up with not to run it.

The best thing would be for people posting bugs here to also post some feedback on the other bugs. For instance, the next person to post should mention if they had any problems on the Shopmap, and (if they have been through the Dragon encounter) if they had any issues there with looting / elbows. Positive feedback can be just as useful in a bug thread as the negative stuff.
    Yes its enforced for weapons that can be sheathed or slung or put away - swords, axes, maces, slings, darts etc. For weapons that physically can't be sheathed or holstered - bows, spears etc - it is not expected that you should.

And no-one would expect a wizard to put away his staff - that goes against everything D&D stands for.
    I'll check what we did with the controls (which was only to change the graphics for some of them) but I find this happens in Windows constantly. Dont'cha hate how you actually hear the click but still nothing happens?

O and Cuchulainn did the Co8 logo :)

7. Half Knight

Guess who's next to post :wave:
    To be honest, i didn't have any problem so far, just cosmetics things...i have windows and no problems with the cursor or moving (aside of sometimes get a character stucked in some corner). No ctds or problems. (but again, i barely had any problem in ToEE, ocasionally some ctd just cos i was testing something)
    Just two things:
    1)-First time i've runned the game it displayed the old "a folder can't be accesed, close all the other applications, you moron" cos i was looking thru the files, but then the game launched with no problems. And never again showed that window.
    2)-I had some slowdown in the sewers, to be exact in the last floor, thru the north corridor,in the crumbled wall that leads to a small cave. Sometimes it slowdown when just launched the game, and after a few seconds running around, i gets fixed.

Since i'm not an expert, i just follow as closely as posible the instructions to install or patch, and never have problems.

This only means that will do what he can.
    It it's stated in various readings, that normal animals won't attack (only if cornered, and only to escape) unnatural creatures (this why rangers and druids hate undeads); so a normal wolf won't attack a zombie, but a dire wolf would. A owlbear would KOS anything, and pixies and elementals could be asked to do more things .
    An animal companion it's not a magical creature as a familiar, but it's an exceptional exponent of his race, so that's why it could be teached to learn tricks (aside of automatically protect/help his master willingly)

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

My understanding of this spell is that the summoned creature is magically compelled to attack it's summoners orders and attack his/her enemies as part of the spell that summoned it. It is not feasable to train a summoned creature due to the short life span of the spell (1 round per level?).

Animal companions however aren't magically compelled to obay orders, they are natural creatures who have grown fond of the ranger/druid but still have their own free will, thus if they are mistreated, they will leave etc...

Dire animals I beleive can be summoned by the spell and even added as animal companions as long as they don't exceed the HD requirement of the spell, Owlbears however are beasts, not animals and not affected by either.

9. Half Knight

Exactly

Exactly again.
    But they are better ejemplars (word?) of their kind, and also share some bond with the ranger.

The owlbear was just an example on will a creature act (Owlbears are completely crazed, attacking everything on sight, but aren't evil, a difference with Leucrottas for example).
    Yes, they are beasts (in fact, i think they're considered magical beasts in some settings)

However, a creature would obey at his best, not at perfection. You couldn't say "attack the rear, left paw of that tiger" to a summoned wolf (unless "speak with animals" it's casted before), it will simply attack him if it can. If an undead it's present, it would probably won't attack, but it would protect the summoning character (probably a will check to do it, if you order him with "speak with animals").
    A summoned wolf it's normal, a animal companion wolf it's a bit special.

10. Shiningted

Hmmm... where is Kalshane when we need him? ;)

If there is disagreement, I will probably still attempt to implement a "summoned critters attack everything" since the spell will largely be nerfed otherwise.

Although... people could summon beasts, or vermin, instead of animals... hmmm...

11. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

the text for the gnom ring says fried instead of friend ....no a big problem just thought id give a heads up for future game tweaks

FIXED

but so far the gme iz working no problem and it iz the best ever!!!!!good work guys

update i had a ctd going into the pub at night i noticed this was an issue with at least one other person

i just had another ctd going into the pub...it only started doing that after i saved and rested at the inn????whats up with that>/?it was during the day that i got a ctd this time my whole save file for this game was corrupted after the ctd and now i have to start another game ...should have backed it up ...i tokk me 3 hours to get the right equipment.....sheesh here we go again

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  12. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

I confirm this problem. After I rested my party and left the inn, any attempt to save game and/or switch maps (travel overland, or enter rooms) has led to a CTD. When save games that end up with a CTD cannot be loaded (lead to CTD again).

I'm not sure if this is because of:
    - resting in the inn;
    - training animal companions; or,
    - botching my installation of the cumulative fixes.

All three of which occurred before I started having this problem. I'll try again, since all of this occurred last night. Might be my computer.

As to feedback on other bugs:

- I have had no problem with the caravan map, everything worked and looked perfectly;
    - Dice roller has been killing my party, as reported by ithers (but I'm aware this is not a bug, or not a KoTB bug...); and,
    - I haven't gone any farther in other quests to say anything else.

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Shinigted,

I understand about the scripts. If I don't tell you about them not firing you won't know. :)
    The dragon fails every time, and the chest is un-openable every time. Do you recommend a reinstall to eliminate a possibly corrupted file. I'm aware decompression programs, (WinRAR) doesn't always get it exactly right, (algarythms...bah).

14. Shiningted

Well, thats the thing, Sirchet, I am tempted to say "I can't replicate it so you should re-install" but i don't want to make you do that til I can get some confirmation on way or the other from other folks. But I will test the Dragon again, since some of the treasure is mobs and some is randomly created when he dies (I only tested the former).

Cuthbert, Matmaisan - those bugs have all been reported by the other KotB developers, so thanks for confirming them, I'll look into it. There may be a problem in the random encounter script, which is accessed (briefly) even when you stay in the Inn.

EDIT: Good, specific feedback by the way, guys! :thumbsup: "I had a CTD entering the pub after resting in the inn" is infinitely better than "I had a CTD plz fix LOL kthxbye" ;)

15. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

diffrent prob now...i started out with 1 .....yes 1 charachter to play the game ...a fighter..i then went to the sewers and leveled up on zombies and dire rats i multiclassed to rogue...but now i cant use the sleight of hand skill at all it doesnt show up in the radial menu!!!!i even tried equiping thieves tools and still nada!!!1i have a sleight of hand of 8!!!which isnt good but i should still be able to use the skill fixed tha problem dont worry about it was bad install i think

Our Host!