kotb release date

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by foil, Jan 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I uploaded the 5.0.0 installer for ToEE there some time ago, no worries about the Co8 server crashing, and they are happy for us to upload mods to thier site upto 1.8 gigs in size :)

2. swapoer

swapoer Member

Well,i am curious why the demo take so a long time to upload?
    Sorry to ask.But my network connet will break after 10 hours,and i am afraid the network speed will be quite slow after 5 hours or so.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Upload times are considerably longer than download times, simply because thigns are routinely downloaded far more often than uploaded, so the band width favours outgoing connections. it shouldn't take anywhere near as long to download this file as it has for Ted to upload it.

4. swapoer

swapoer Member

Thanks for the reply.
    btw:The movie of Dragon Lance is a disappointance.

5. Paladine

Paladine The Lost Knight

Yippy Look Mom no hands, Well im up waiting when i should be sleeping, hi kids :peace: :evil_laug Greets Out to my Peeps in Croton-on-hudson lol

6. Monocause

Monocause Member

I haven't slept for four days, waiting in anticipation... Bring it on ;>:twisted: :twisted:

Anyway, anyone knows how big traffic the moddb servers can support? I remember downloading something for Homeworld 2 from there once, and the speeds were outrageous, not to mention that the connection crashed once and I had to restart the download from scratch.
    Maybe Ted (or someone else) could host it on BitTorrent after uploading and post a link here?

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There was some discussion about BitTorrent and we probably should have organised that route as well, but it was decided after much consideration (and realisation our servers would never handle the demand of such a large mod) that ModDB was the best way to go.

We're still working on it folks - hang in there :thumbsup:

8. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

To get technical, Upload times are generally longer than Download times, because of the transfer rate - the transfer rate for a Download is bigger (generally) than the Upload rate. This is because Providers provide more bandwidth for Downloads as they do for Uploads (for the reason(s) mentioned above).

This difference is often huge - for a DSL 6000, for example (with a Download of around 5000), the Upload rate will generally be around 700. That is a pretty big difference.

And of course, those who do DL it could do a BitTorrent and seed it for others....

9. chano

chano Established Member

If you could upload it as a torrent and let me download asap i could seed it for a few days.
    I have a 10mbit/s upload which would help quite a alot.

Just an idea :)

10. Monocause

Monocause Member

Here in Poland the norm set by ISP's is to offer upload to download at a one to eight ratio, so on my 2048 kbitps connection i have 256 kbitps of upload bandwith. From what I've read, it's the same in many places around the world.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Doesn't download speed depend on the server, and upload speed depend on the pc uploading it?

I upload quite a few large files to Div-Share and I have a 10megabit per second connection, and uploads are only about 70 to 160 kilobits per second.

Just wondering.

12. Monocause

Monocause Member

DL depends on the server and on your bandwidth. If, for example, you have max DL speed 200 kb/s from your ISP, and the server has 10 Mb/s upload, you won't be able to download faster than those 200 kb/s. On the other hand, if the server has max UL of 50 kb/s, you won't exceed these 50 kb/s (actually, you probably wouldn't exceed even 5 kb/s, unless you would be the olny person to have business on the server :) )
    The UL depends on the same, just reverse - your upload bandwith and download bandwidth of the entity you upload things into.

Edit: Geez, I keep forgeting about the "d" in "width". Anyway, what a dumb word, three consonants in a row.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thanks Monocause,

It makes a little more sense now. ;)

@Gaer, thanks for the link to Mod DB, there sure are a lot of good mods there for many games. :D

Wow! Mod DB is a fast download site, I just downloaded a mod from there, and it downloaded at a megabite per second...that's fast!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's good news, sirchet. :) Hopefully you'll all download it reasonably quickly.

Now the bad news: I seem to have committed a rather major snafu here that is going to delay things for another 10-12 hours, most likely. I know many of you have been waiting patiently for this for a long time now, so believe me when I say that I am heartily sorry. :(

If it's any comfort to you, the error here is only logistical - there are no stability issues or anything like that which have developed.

Bear in mind that this is all pretty much new to us, particularly the part where we deal with a third party 'client' for mod hosting. So we're kind of learning/making it up as we go along. Please hang in there - we won't delay a second longer than we have to.

:tears:

15. Monocause

Monocause Member

Teehee. You know, this reminds of the dreams I had in my childhood, particularly the sort where I desired something enormously, and was just about to get it, and then either something horrible happened and the thing was taken away from me, or I just woke up :D

Our Host!