Weird encounter

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Flop, Jan 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Flop

Flop Member

Alright, this is my first time playing ToEE and so far I'm loving it. I'm using the Co8 5.0.4 mod.

Anyway, I just killed that Lareth guy in the moathouse, and I was gonna go back to Homlet. But when I leave the moathouse, by the cave exit, I encounter 3 of the NPC's from Homlet (I don't recall their names, but I know I was able to recruit them to my party earlier in the game) along with a bunch of gnolls and bandits. A dialog ensues, although to be honest it didn't make much sense to me, and then they attack.

Is this really supposed to happen, or did I screw something up along the way?

2. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

It's suppose to happen. Don't worry...

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Ah, the "Big Three" encounter. That sounds like it worked about like it was supposed to. Turuko, Korbert and Zert were really agents for various evil factions in the area, so they took a dim view of your killing of Lareth. I find that the encounter is not very hard if you expect it and are prepared, but the first time you see it your party is usually just coming off the encounter with Lareth and his goons, and you may be beat up and/or out of spells. Then it becomes much more challenging. Sounds like you survived, good for you. The Big Three encounter was modded in by the folks here at Co8 and they did a fine job of it - you will have a different result if you follow the evil route and take Lareth into your party instead of killing him.

4. Flop

Flop Member

Yeah, I was pretty beat up at that point. My main fighter was down to 1 hit point, so I didn't survive it the first time. I had to reload and prepare.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. I couldn't really tell from the dialog what was going on. :)

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The dialogue was assembled based on unused or rarely used lines in the dialogue files of those characters. We could have written elaborate and expository dialogue, but then we wouldn't have had the sound files of the characters speaking to match it with, and normally voiced characters would have suddenly been silent (a dead give-away you have wandered away from the original game and into modding territory). So yeah, the dialogue gets a bit esoteric, but all in all I personally tihnk Gaear did an excellent job with it.

6. Nearbychaos

Nearbychaos Chaotic Neutral

I liked that encounter... Seriously, you guys made a great work with it, the event even had voices and all! (and gave a lot of XP for my soloist LN badass fighter :D)

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Whats the change if you accept him into your party?

I accepted him into my party once, left without the incidident. Then I ended up going to the Temple and killed him outside of it for his gear (after he showed me the way). I went to Hommlett to rest, and back to the moat house to try to pick the chests and the ambush got me as a zoned in...

But what did I miss if I would have kept him in my groups? Grrr... I wasn't eveil enough by killing him, I should have left the evil guy in...

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just to clarify, you had Lareth in your party and killed him outside the temple, then got jumped by Torulo, Korbort, Zert, and some human and gnoll bandits at the moathouse right?

Basically the way the encoucter is scripted, the ambush will occur, unless...

Toruko is dead or in the party
    Kobort is dead or in the party
    Zert is dead or in the party
    Lareth is in the party
    Lareth hasn't been dealt with yet

As all five of those statements were true in your case, you got the ambush encounter anyway.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Is there any way to stop that, Axl? The ambush should only occur within a short time of having first cleared the Moathouse. In fact, it shouldn't occur any time other than when you first leave via the secret exit after killing Lareth. That's the way I envisioned it from the get-go.

It needs to be a very 'topical' scenario to make any sense, otherwise we get these strange weeks-later developments like Ranth has reported here.

10. Allyx

Sure it can yeah, just add another global.flag into the mix, like if you recruit Lareth, it sets a flag, if the flag isn't raised the encounter kicks off as normal, if it is raised the encounter never happens - even if you kill him later and return.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Cool. Feel like adding that to your CMF 'to-do' list? That sort of thing's not my bag ...

Just think - we could have that encounter finally working the way it's supposed to only two years after it was first released! :p

12. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Yes that is what I did. My question is, did I miss any plot lines by not keeping Lareth in my party (other than the ambush he leads you into inside the side entrance to the tower)?

13. Allyx

Yes, but it's not directly related to the moathouse ambush, in fact the moathouse ambush is scripted so that it will NOT happen if lareth is in your party. The Temple ambush can be avoided and even made into a safe haven for your group, where Lareth will sell masterwork weapons if you play the game the right way. ;)

14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Now that sounds even more evil than killing him... Now I wish I had a save point back to there...

Honestly, I am not an evil person, I just like to roleplay to the fullest.

15. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Playing through with 5.0.5...

None of these is true in my game. I did -not- get the encounter just now, after killing Lareth and immediately leaving via the cave entrance (first time I took that route, too).

In addition to reporting what seems to be a bug, is there any way for me to set a global or anything to fix it for my current game? Details would be appreciated, as this will be my first time using any console commands.

Note that I did take a trip back to town after clearing out most of the dungeon (but before I talked to any of Lareth's personal guards). However I did so by taking the long way up, back up through the ogre room and out via the main moathouse entrance.

After I failed to get the encounter, I went back to town and yes, Kobort, Zert and Turoko are all still in the inn (though Zert and Kobort are somewhat, ah, naked after having been looted after the drinking game ;)

Any help would be appreciated, I'm stopping my game until I can get a response to this one.

Qwinn

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
Our Host!