bugged items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by St.Cuthbert1176, Jan 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

hey everyone i have searched the forums and i know there are bugged console items will you please post here to give me a list of all the known bugged items u know of because im new to this and im trying to mod some new npcs and i get a ctd with an item somewhere around in the cloaks area and i know that vorpal greatsword is bugged as well.plase help!!!!!thanks in advance

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

There is a an atari bug list in the General Mod section, but it's not console specific. Any item that has a protos # can be consoled in, but basically what you see is what you get. The console is somewhat flakey anyway. The list of things that don't work would be fairly long.

P.S. Print a copy of Description.mes and LongDescription.mes and see what all is available.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Trying to "give" yourself an item in the console that doesn't have an entry in Protos.tab will crash your game, some items are listed in description.mes that DON'T have protos, so this is no clear indicator either.

There may be some items that crash the game because the mesh files are broken (though I believe they are mostly fixed) there may be some that don't do exactly what it says on the tin, but work in somewhere near the same way they should in PnP this is usually due to not being able to code/mod the correct way easily or at all - depending on the item and modders skill level.

I doubt anyone has compiled a list of items that don't work or crash the game, but there area few well known ones...

The Sword of Life stealing - works propperly against creatures with class levels, but monster HD are treated as one level no matter how many HD there really are.

Helm of Brilliance - due to game limitations, this should actually be closer to a "Lesser Helm of Brilliance" or "Helm of not so Brilliance" as I had to substitute some spells for others - actually I might be able to fix this one. :S

Boots of Speed/Striding - atm they caste haste on the wearer, I'm pretty sure that's not RAW but pretty close.

Poison Ivy Armour (or whatever it was called) - Due to game limitation the rules on this are a bit gimped, again I might try a fix, but gotta get me a working install first.

There are probably more, but I haven't played for a while.

4. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

will those boots of speed or striding cause a ctd???

i know one of the cloaks does but im not sure which one .i have to do more testing...i will publish a comprehensive list of bugged console items when im done...if nothing else than to save everyone alot of headaches....or to relieve my boredom.....hope it helps when im done

my bad didnt mean to spam lol

ok i found out that consoleing in the cloak of the manta ray (item #12658) and then saving it will indeed ctd
    as a matter of fact consoling this item in will do no good as it never shows up in your inventory....though it could be in those invisable inventory slots allyx was talking about
    cloak of displacement major item #12657 = ctd
    jaers spheres of fire Both (4197 and 12017)= ctd
    jewelled crown (6030)= ctd

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The boots of striding do not cause a ctd, they just don't function as they should.

And next time, rather edit your last post to include more text than spam post after post after post, ok? ;)

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Boots of speed work like the spell "longstrider"
    Boots of striding don't do nothing, tough they appear as magical
    Hextor equipment (cloak, robe, shield) cause CTD
    Darley's necklace it's unusable (for everyone except her), it can cause CTD
    David's sling cause CTD (must be some spell file missing)
    Vorpal sword it's weird, i've used it, but some circunstances cause CTD
    Mordenkainen sword isn't useable, don't console it
    Jaer's spheres cause CTd depending which proto id you console ( i think the first will ctd)
    Cloak of the bat will CTD

Those are some of the crashing items...there are lots of them, cos lots are unuseable items, or specifical to some character or even mosters.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

some items only work with certain models like the bugbear weapons only work with bugbears and other models with the same base skeleton.

@HK I never noticed Darleys necklace not working for other characters.

8. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Not only weapons...armor too ;)

Hum, well, it's not that it doesn't work, but if someone console, it wouldn't be unequipable. If you right clik on another necklace to change it, bang, you're crashed. I think that it crashes too just by consoling, it's not meant to be in other place than Darley's neck i guess.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Nah, bringing it in is fine because it needs to come from somewhere. With the original humble NPCs turned on its not a problem at all.

10. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

i was hoping you guts didnt mind me compiling this list here in this thread...i know most of you old hacks already know this stuff but i thiought a comprehensive list would benifit everyone and im going to do it anyway,for myself so thought i would post it for modders odl and new to help out and do my part ....however small it may be

still working on tha list

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

if you want to compile a list in this thread go ahead.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

One of the masterwork battle-axes is in description.mes but not protos.tab, so is one of the crowns.

Our Host!