Lock Picking - Unlimited Attempts?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firstborn, Jan 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firstborn

Firstborn Member

I am in the moathouse. I have gone into the first tower with the giant spider and the chest.

There is an ivory chest.

My rogue fails to pick the lock everytime. I have tried 20 times in a row, and it still does not work. I have tried resting 8 hours, re-trying, still no good.

The Level 0 Wizard Spell Open\Close fizzles everytime I try it on the chest.

Does the game limit your lock picking attempts?

Is there a way to bash locks?

Thanks

2. Dragonreborn567

Dragonreborn567 Member

As far as I am aware, you do have unlimited attempts at lockpicking. There is a button to the lower right side of the screen that you can click on in order to see your turn, and if you click on the blue words, it will show you the exact roll. The DC of opening the chest may be too high for your rouge to picklock, so try leveling the lockpicking skill, or his dexterity before trying again.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The knock spell works wonders on locks. :)

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We increased all the DCs, btw.

5. Dellik

Dellik Fallen

Also worth mentioning that if you fail once, you will always fail untill you level(after all, you take 20 on lockpicking rolls heh)

6. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

u ought to be able to smash chests open!!!!just like you ought to be able to take the hinges off doors and chests.....i drove a dm nuts one time taking every door off its hinge and taking the hinges offf chests to avoid the poison needle traps and forward firing magical traps....i somehow ran into a delayed blast fireball trap later that game and my rouge was a crispy critter

7. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

of course the dcs for taking hinges off iz so low u could call it cheating lol

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The people who were working on this mod left before completing the effort of their work.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Check the rolls to see how far off you are failing by. Then buff your rogue so that he can unpick it successfully. There is no limit to attempts. But if you fail once without buffs/masterwork equipment, then you're always going to fail until you increase your lockpicking skills or do add buffs/new equipment.

Our Host!