Monster Encounters

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Icer_Xx, Jan 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Icer_Xx

Icer_Xx The Bane of Fire

Ok, sorry if anyone said this before, but is there a specific file where i can add different monster encounters? Am i missing something or did i just pass it by. Thanks in advance.:help:

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As in, random encounters?

data / scr / random_encounter.py

If you want to add monsters to this or that map - say, put a few on the otherwise empty first floor of the Temple - you have to make their objects using ToEEWB and put them into the map's folder. Not that hard to do, once you get the hang of it. I've written a tutorial for exactly what you want HERE.

3. Icer_Xx

Icer_Xx The Bane of Fire

ok, i know i asked this before, but how do i get ToEEWB to open up a protos.tab file? and what is the location, im most likely trying the wrong thing(even tho its NAME is PROTOS.TAB lol) thanks for the help ted

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmm...

Well, if you are just looking for a monster to add, its easier to look in description.mes (in your Data / Mes folder, opened with Notepad) than Protos.tab (in your Data / Rules folder). Just be aware with NPCs that ToEEWB recognises them according to their prototype name, not their recognised 'name' (so to add Elmo you would scroll down the alpehbet and look for 'drunk' not 'Elmo'; likewise 'Turuko' would be 'skinny monk', 'Kobort' would be 'big fighter' and 'Lareth' would be 'the Master'. If you just want to add 'goblin' or 'balor' you shouldn't have a problem.) That name is easy to find - its what the prototype is called in description.mes - but is not necessarily the most intuitive name when you are looking for things.

To get ToEEWB to recognise protos.tab you have to put one in: so copy protos.tab from Data / Rules into the ToEEWB root folder (alongside the Mobiles folder, Sectors folder etc). Also copy description.mes into there too.

If you use ToEEWB to change anything in protos.tab or description.mes (or both) - such as to add a new monster prototype - don't forget to hit save and to then copy the changed file(s) back into the game folders.

5. Icer_Xx

Icer_Xx The Bane of Fire

ok, it works, but how do i get ToEEWB to acknowledge the maps? all i get is that i have to make a new one. god i thought this would be easy, u know, open a map, put a few monsters, all i see is a bunch of white screens, am i going insane or do you sit there n deal with this constantly?!:Being_a_s

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Sorry, it is not that intuitive. You'll need to follow the PDF. <- click there

7. Icer_Xx

Icer_Xx The Bane of Fire

ok, and i hav e a question about charm person, if you use the world map to go to another place, the charmed person leaves your party, why is that?

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The spell only lasts for a certain amount of time. When the spell expires, the game should have the character return to where the character was, originally, located.

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Lots of people don't realize that traveling through the map consumes time.
    If you go from Hommlet with a charmed/suggested person to let's say the Temple there would be a long time of travelling t'ill you arrive (frankly, i've never keep track of the time in detail, but by logic, the shorter the trip, the shorter the time), so the spell had expired along the way.

That's also why lots of people can't find the cure for Amii, they begin to travel from map to map, and the times passes and Amii dies.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was lucky once when I had a RE just outside the temple and charmed some monsters into my party for a bit of cannon fodder, they were still there when I got to the temple.

Our Host!