Dont Install Windows XP service Pack 2

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Teigar, Aug 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. darkwraith007

darkwraith007 Member

Helping against the WinDoze plague...saving throw...

Ok, lemme try something...

I'd recommend you back up all your data and do a clean install, but that's just me...

First, did you do a clean install of directx?
    There's a freeware utility that lets you do that, remove directx completely then re-install it from M$ website.

Perhaps also completely removing (NOT just "uninstalling", but REMOVAL with a utility like Driver-Cleaner) your video card drivers and re-installing them might work. Be careful though, you wanna make sure you have something to fall back on when you uninstall your vid card drivers, like onboard video.

I recommend you get rid of system restore. Really. Its completely, absolutely, horribly worthless. There are SO many other free programs that are MUCH better then that pile of crap called "system restore".

I'll assume from your post you are using XP SP2 and DX 9.0c
    I have the same OS and DX version, so your problems aren't releated to either of those issues.

Did you update XP or do a slipstreamed install? Check my previous post about prog that automates the slipstream easily.

If you want more help, some more detailed system specs would be nice (motherboard, sound card, vid card, etc.)

Later
    DarkWraith007

2. BeastSS

BeastSS Member

I have had the same problems listed above. I am running WindowsXP Pro with SP2, the firewall enabled, Norton running, and after three reinstalls, got the game to quit without a crash, to start a new game without a crash, etc. I am using a properly installed DirectX9c. The final install was after the ToEE uninstall, a defrag and a reboot. I installed ToEE, the Patch2, then Co8 3.0.4.2. The only thing I would like to change is the loss of the 'fog of war'. I relied on that to remind me where I had not been.

3. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Member

XP2 redux

Long ago I installed ToEE = major suckage ensued
    Uninstalled ToEE
    wait
    update windows over time
    apply SP2 with numerous other updates (including NAV 2005)
    defrag system
    install ToEE (again)
    reboot
    apply patch 1
    reboot
    apply patch 2
    reboot
    apply CO8 update (key component!)
    reboot

Enter gaming Nivana!

Our Host!