Useless item weight.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by raptor, Dec 21, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. raptor

raptor Title

Yes, I'm getting quite tired of all those misc items that does not do anything save looks weighting down characters. Boots, glowes, helmets and even cloaks. Especially considering alot of the magical versions weight nothing at all!

Anyone seen a mod that reduses weight to zero for these kinds of items ? Or alternativelly can tell me what tool I need to do it myself ?

Also, while I know the weight allowance in this game is set according to D&D 3.5 standard, armors and thing equiped/worn should only weight half weight efficientlly, meaning that those armors are weighting you down significantlly. Is this possible to fix ?

Alternativelly, just point me to the file detailing the encumberance limit and I'll do a quick "fix" for now.

I knew there was a reason why I didn't use those encumberance rules when I was DMing...

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

You can use Phalzyr's ProtoEditor and open
    up protos.tab located in <toee dir>\data\rules\
    and change the relevant column to 0. ProtoEd
    shows you which column does what so you should
    not have many problems with that... except for the
    number of items you have to change.

3. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

So when you were a DM your characters could haul out an entire dragon hoard in their pockets, along with 10 suits of armour, 5 weapons AND the wounded on their backs. A challenge indeed.

The encumbrance issue affects the movement of the characters only in TOEE, but your other option is to have your characters naked and see how the dialogue changes. To say nothing of how easy it would be to hit them.

I use the protos editor frequently to adjust the looks for my own taste but I think you will have the only TOEE universe where gravity does not apply.

4. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

I'm with blackfly on this.

Even though the whole setting is "fantasy," the game must retain SOME sense of realism. If you CAN carry 150 pounds, but you ARE carrying 250 pounds, then there should definitely be some evidence of hardship.

If you wanna be able to carry Everything and not worry about weight, just use the Miniature Chest. (well, if you're using the Co8 mods) That's a little bit of reality, but with a loophole. I like it.

5. blackfly

I liked it better in my older, original AD+D days where everything was based on GP weight. Why else then would strength matter? Why, with no weight restrictions, even a wizard could carry out a whole dungeon of treasure.

I can understand why raptor feels this way, but perhaps there is not ENOUGH consequence to weight in TOEE. A real weighted down character could forfeit one attack a round, act as if under a SLOW spell.... that way there is more incentive to find the ethereal chest of holding (its name escapes me right now). It, actually, is very easy to find and you get it real early on.

6. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I think what he is trying to say is, that if you have a weak character, you may as well just have them walking around bare foot with no gloves, boots or hats in the begining of the game as they serve no purpose. Boots dont keep you from getting blisters on your feet, gloves dont keep you from getting your hands dirty, and helms do not keep your face pretty, and they serve no purpose in the game except for visual. May as well have all your guys walking around barefoot rather than waste the pound on gloves and boots. Later in the game when you get magical gloves, boots, and hats they are worth lugging the extra weight around for a weak character, but until then may as well go barefoot cuz boots dont help ya. I think he is saying, make these useless items weigh nothing so your icon dont look like he is walking around naked. It would be cool though if the modders out there could incorperate some sort of damage scale where, for example, you would take damage walking from nulb to the moathouse with no boots on to make it mandatory to keep your character clothed. Or to take blister damage from weilding a heavy weapon with no gloves on. Or take enviroment damage from walking around with no clothes on (or just tatoos) Or take Charisma damage for fighting too many battles with no helm on until healed. I would make this damage no lethal as nobody (even a level 1 mage with 4 hp would die from blisters). Otherwise, your weak characters will be walking around naked to put that armor on and hold those shields and save weight..

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Try to talk someone completely naked (no clothes, boots and gloves.)

8. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

you just need clothes, you dont need boots or gloves.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nah.

We shouldn't really impose mandatory stuff like that, because there is no subtlety in the weighting values. Whereas you can set a model size or rotation to 10 decimal places, you can't have fractions in weights in ToEE - its 0 or 1, no halves or quarters (even where the PHB says those items should be 1/4 lb or whatever). So with even the most innocuous items weighing at least 1, and an average strength person being encumbered at only 33 (for memory) we should hesitate to make those things compulsory.

Of course, if I can get caltropes going, thats a whole other matter...

10. blackfly

Actually, in Gygaxs' original DMG he went on at length about how important a helm was. If the opponent had an average or above IQ then most shots would be to an unarmoured head, and if it was a critical hit (a 20 in those days) it was fin.

I am wondering why such a rule was not made in TOEE. Why, then, go through the bother of making helms available if not for protection. I personally like some charcters to NOT have a helm simply as it looks better, but only because I know it makes no difference.

11. raptor

raptor Title

@maggit: Thank you, will look into that. And no worry, I'm used to milling through a few hundred items to do minor edits etc (Used to edit all weapons in Baldurs Gate 1 to be usable by all classes becose it got so annoying).

@blackfly: I said anything fitting into a backpack flies, it did generate some situations that was not completelly "right", but it worked out in most cases, and saved us lots of trouble. The only problem was people forgetting to check how much they stuffed into the backpack, which would have been the same as them forgetting to check for encumberance in the first place.

Also everything else will still have weight, just some misc items that does not really do anything per say (save looks) will be redused. I would also like to point out that alot of armors in D&D comes with glowes, boots, helms etc buildt into the weight.

@HeJason: Yup, you got it. Not interested in making weapons and armors weightless, just boots, glowes, hats/helmets, and cloaks. Non magical versions. Just so I feel inclined to actually dress them up at all save for some cheap farmerclothes, and then hunt for boots of elvenkind like mad becose they weight 0 pounds.

And now I'm off to play around with the protoss editor, cheers!

12. blackfly

You might find the use of the Extraplanar chest to be to your liking better. Takes less work and is already in the game.

But each milieu to its own......

13. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

There's no effect for ordinary helmets in ToEE because there's no rule for it in D&D 3.5 (as far as I know), and it isn't, presumably, Troika's prerogative to make up non-standard rules for their D&D/WotC stamped game.

There are, however, helmets/hats/etc. that do have effects, so removing them entirely doesn't make sense, either. And ordinary helmets let your barbarians have cool horns (or your clerics wear nice chain coifs early on).

Not to mention the coveted jaunty hat.

14. Netjack

Netjack Member

A monk could walk around naked with no problem :) .

15. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

That's right. But don't walk naked in a orc camp...

That's when the fast movement comes handy, and you'll be grateful for the extra movement! :evil_laug

Our Host!