Patches messed me up!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by JamesTheScot, Dec 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. JamesTheScot

JamesTheScot Member

Had TOEE installed and was running OK but had a few issues...

Game would crash when I tried to create note-flags in Map menu.
    Could not switch shields in combat (may be game rule, though).
    Could only loot in combat mode (had to press "c" to get hand icon over bodies) but couldn't seem to do it during combat while foes were active (isn't that ironic!).
    Had trouble immediately exiting room/building after entering unless I moved around some first even though hand icon would appear over stairs and PC's would verbally confirm command.
    Did not meet little boy upon entering Hommlet - but I was running a NG party so scenario may have been different.

So I did an internet search, found and downloaded Patches 2 and 3 and installed.

Now TOEE won't launch. Get CD spin-up icon, screen goes black and then reverts to desktop with no error or explanation message.

Would love to run the game improved but do not want to lose characters or progress.

Can I fix this to improved version and keep progress and characters?

If not, can I keep progress and characters by saving the "saves" and "characters" files to a CD, uninstall and then reinstall TOEE, and then copy them to new installation folders?

If not, can I just get this to run again without losing progress and characters?

Edited to add....My brother bought the game and is pretty deep into it. I just started and could start over without too much mourning.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Did you had installed basic ( vanilla) ToEE, or the FE (Front End) Co8 version?

The kid is from the ToEE version, which is NOT compatible with the patch 3.

Here is everything explained:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3300

:wave:

3. JamesTheScot

JamesTheScot Member

By vanilla do mean "official" or "unpatched". Since the kid was NOT in my version, I'm afraid the TOEE version I have installed (from disks) may already have the "official" patches included. Hence my game did run but with glitches UNTIL I installed Any_Patch 2 and Patch 3.

That thread is great but 1) I have TOEE installed and 2) I don't know which version if TOEE I am running! All packaging is long gone. I only have disks and spiral-bound manual so I'm not sure what to do.

Do I have to uninstall first?

Can I save my "maps", "characters" and "saves" files and then plug them back in when i get it running again?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  4. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Do a complete uninstall, then manually wipe all leftover contents in the Atari-TOEE folder.

Then reinstall and follow the install guide posted here to the letter, and you will be ok. I think your characters are history unfortunately, but you will get to play a much enhance version of the game by starting over.

Of course, one of the tech heads here might prove me wrong...up to you if you want to wait about and see what they have to say.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You can re-patch 2 over patch 3 and it might work. You can save your players folder to MyDocuments and put it in your new game. You're probably
    better off re-installing just patch 1 and 2, and install humble_npc and max hp. When you're ready, move up to the 5 series using the download instructions in the post. Have fun.

6. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

If you bought the game and installed it from the discs, then you have "Vanilla" ToEE. And if you install Patch 2 After patch 3, then it will definitely work. Patch 2 will overwrite Patch 3. The little boy "Kent?" is only in Co8's mods.

Like everyone said above, if you follow those install directions you will be good to go.
    And the game is much more enjoyable With Co8 than without.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

it also sounds like you have secure rom issues which are caused by a conflict between windows Xp service pack2 and the offical patch 2. to fix this you'll need to download a noCD crack which we don't host here.

btw vanillia toee means fresh install with no patches at all.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Hint: When you install the Atari Patch2 for ToEE, use the Atari English version 2.0 of the NO-CD patch.

Our Host!