Stuck Items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Skithee, Dec 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Skithee

Skithee Member

Items are getting stuck on my primary character as if he were an NPC and they were his share. The same error message comes up.

I'm not running Co8 yet, as I didn't find this site until I had begun my first game, and didn't want to start over yet. I am running the official patches, though.

I've already tried moving the character into a different spot, and that hasn't helped. It does seem like this is only happening to items that I moved from one character to this one. Which sucks pretty hard since I was consolidating my bolts and potions on him to pass them around.

If this is mentioned somewhere else on the boards, I apologize, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Addendum: So far, it's only affecting bolts and some gems. The potions were fine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

its a new one to me, and as such I can't help.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I had that problem too in vanilla ToEE, with gems and common salable rings.

The problem i had was having a NPC. When they automatically loot they begin to fill their inventory with any kind of crap. So when inventory is full they still loot but having no space, they drop it to the ground.
    DO NOT GRAB WHAT THEY DROPPED.
    That's the problem. Those are "NPC properties", so apparently the game seems to think that your character is one. I had stickied a copper ring, and a few gems, and is a crap.
    Just loot the normal way with a PC, and then you'll see at the NPC feet all the things he can't carry.

If you don't have a NPC, don't have other idea. (maybe you could empty their backpack leaving only the stickied items, and pickpocket that character with a skilled rogue, but then the items could get stickied in the rogue)

In any case, i couldn't find a solution for that in any place, except cheating.
    To enable the cheats, if i remember well, it was something like this:

-Right-click the desktop ToEE icon.
    -Go to properties.
    -In the first box (i think in english is "target"), you'll see the icon name.
    -At the end of the name add
    -console
    -It should look more or less like "Temple of Elemental Evil.exe" -console
    -You must let a space between the last " and the -
    -Open the console with shift + the key left of the 1 and up of the tab (or do a search here for "console codes")

Then you could console a "staff of life", kill the character, take the sticky loot, a raise him again.
    That's the only and complicated way :errf:

I've finished the vanilla ToEE a few times, it's a pain in the ass (the more advanced the game, the more annoying bugs you'll find), so frankly, take a few rounds more if you want, but don't waste time.
    Donwnload all the Co8 stuff, you can always play the vanilla version, but with lot of fixes.

:wave:

4. Skithee

Skithee Member

I think you've got it, man. I guess this is all loot that Otis couldn't pick up because he filled his pack with Light Maces.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

If you're going to stay with vanilla ToEe, you better get all NPC's inventory full.

I used to fill their inventory with gloves, and hats, cos they weight nothing, but it's really tiring to take it off everytime you go to a shop.

The best trick i found about that was buying lots of chunks of meat.
    They are cheap, have no weight, and take a slot each, so you can fill the inventory quickly. The best thing it's that almost no shopkeeper would buy it,( i know one of them in Nulb will buy them, i don't remember who, so better check first.) so you don't have to worry about space.

But be careful to take anything dropped by NPCs. (and take special care with gems, bacause i had a strange bug, that if you somehow dropped a stickied gem, or a NPC drops it, the gem in the ground won't let you move, you can't click around it, and if it happens in a small room you would not be able to leave)

Try to use NPCs that only loot money or specific items; Elmo only takes money (fighter), Spugnoir (wizard) only scrolls (this one is great, because if he drops something, it would be scrolls, and no matter if the scroll get stickied, because you can use them and they will disappear.), and i think that Wicked (rogue) in the temple only asks if you have equipment for him to use and nothing else.

6. shoprat

shoprat Member

I think a way to workaround it may be to install the toeefe and just check humble npc's all that will do is allow you to loot the npc's inventory and move it around.

7. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

If you use the f12 and f9 kill and loot glitch you get buggy items also. The 'humble' option does not seem to work for this,I have the CO8 mod with this. I tried the Staff of life or other Raise dead on PC,but no effect..still buggy. You get duplicated items if you try to transfer them,then the game will crash a lot ^_*. Sell if you can or drop if transfer allowed?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

If noone has reminded you aleady-

DO NOT use quicksave! (or quickload, I imagine)

That is a four lane expressway to bugs& crashes.

9. kylan271

OK I was not sure,but my game dies on quicksave or not,if I get involved with any NPC equiptment. Furnok with his gems etc,even if I kill them and loot the bodies. I have tried to pickpocket the Jeweler and keep reselling the gems I steal,but game crashed also,very frustrating(CO8 Mod 5). I think after a quicksave the game is broken and even if you save normally after this QS bug,the game data is corrupted??? As in my case I saved normally,but still 'snafu!'(Situation Normal All ### Up!),geez.

10. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Quicksaves (and saves during combat) will corrupt the game, and saving normally after that won't uncorrupt anything. I recommend starting a new game at least;hopefully uou won't need to reinstall the game.

11. kylan271

OK as I suspected,lol...

I restarted,but keep away from QSaves. I use save game and 'Sleigh of hand' to loot and reload if caught,easier. I knock out or kill a character to see if worth looting then reload,it tells me if I can loot them OK or just wasting time-some items,ie worn armour and weapons you can not loot,ie Otis's armour.

Our Host!