Crashes crashes crashes. It there any way to prevent the game from crashing.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Roller1234, Nov 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

Really, its hard. The game (Co8+CMF) crashes like every 3-4 minutes. Usually after a map change, but not necessarily Cant get past the first quests in Hommlet. I have done all the "i dont have a clue but try this" things like reinstalling, clearing cache or starting a new game. I mean is it known why there are so many people having CTDs probs, looking at forum search results, or is the only option we have is praying and being lucky.

edited:

AppName: toee.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: temple.dll
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00268c30

edited:

oh well forget it. It crashes even with default version. With ntdll.dll error on exit. Or with temple.dll error in the game. Crashfest.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  2. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Hmm, I have never had a crash with the Co8 patches.

Can you give a complete rundown on how you installed the game. Totally complete.

3. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

well, with pleasure
    no toee
    installed game, patch 1, patch 2 ( refused to install w/o p1), co8 5.0.0,
    started/exited game via front-end
    extracted CMF 5.0.4 content into root toee folder
    at last, tried both w/ CD and w/ noCD patch.

Though it probably doesnt matter, as it CTD even unpatched

CPU AMD Athlon
    GPU ATi Radeon x1600 agp
    1GB ram
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Driver catalyst 7.7 (6.14.0010.6706), fresh de/installed
    latest creative sound driver for SB Live (5.12.0001.3300)

and no probs with other applications whatsoever

The crash is even reproducible.
    Start a new Neutral Good game with created or pregenerated chars. Go to the church, talk with cleric on the first floor. Talk with Cleric on the second floor(high crash probability here). Take the quest. Go to the inn and talk to the NPC who casts spells there on himself. While in the inn, there is a very high probability of crashing. If it didnt CTD during the talk, do the Furlog(sp?) gambling quest. It should crash by then with temple.dll error. Frustrating.

4. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Might mean nothing but have you tried delete.pyc? Or, too many programs running on your compy?

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Try a new install and make sure your antivirus is turned off/disabled. No patches, no nothing. The basic vanilla game should play. Anytime you're installing or downloading anything make sure NO other programs are running and the antivirus is off. If the cd doesn't play then try the no-cd crack patch 2 version. If neither works, buy or borrow another cd and try it. If you are using Windows XP/SP2, there are items that interefere with games, but it's real random. You may have to do several installs before you catch a clean one. SP2 can be modified but it's long tedious process, but there are directions on the internet. Good luck.

6. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

@Zalmoxes
    oh yes, i deleted the .pyc files and map cache. As well as turning everything off, including explorer.exe and every possible windows service out there. Same result.

The only strange thing i can notice is why did it refuse to patch2 w/o patch1, while it actually shouldnt.

7. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Also,which version of ToEEFE are u using? IF 4.01, you`ll need the .NET Framework. You can find lot more details in the Downloads sections, the first post in the ToEEFE topic

8. shoprat

shoprat Member

hmm thats odd that it didnt let you install patch 2 w/o installing patch one although installing both shouldnt matter, why dont you try re downloading patch 2 and see if that helps.

9. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

Yes it is indeed odd, although the issue is known and some people just need patch1. I wonder whats the reason for this is and if these are the same people having random crashes all over the place, like me heh. Maybe its because patch2 reads "USA" and my version is UK(if there is any difference)

10. Sapper_Astro

Very odd. Whereabouts are you downloading the patches from?

11. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

From Filefront, why.

12. shoprat

shoprat Member

try downloading the one thats on here I think its in the downloads section sticikied under: The Co8 Mod Pack: A step-by-step download guide there should be a link to it.

13. Sapper_Astro

Yeah, there have been some suspect patches floating about. It will be a pain in the arse, but try uninstalling the whole thing, manually deleting every last drop, then following the Co8 install instructions to the letter as well as downloading the patches from here.

Don't worry, done it all before myself. You are not alone ;)

Or you can try other ways first. Its up to you.

14. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

Ok just for future reference. The problem was in faulty PSU. Im not sure why exactly it happened in ToEE, and not in UT2004 for example. Though it did happen in Titan Quest too(hanging completely there). I can only guess its quite a heavy game and the rendering stress on some places caused increased power demand(failuring) and CTD then. Replacing the PSU solved the problem. Thanks everyone for advises. And no thanks to those who kept telling about reinstall. ^!

15. dups1k

dups1k Member

sorry, I little has not understood that signifies
    "Replacing the PSU"
    can u explaine in detail this phrase. tnx.

Our Host!