New weapons in 5.04

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fb2007, Nov 7, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. fb2007

fb2007 Member

What's the deal with the composite longbow? Does it have a special feat that justifies the extra gp?

Also, why is dwarven armor so much more expensive than full plate when it has the same stats?

any help?

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

When you have a doubt, shift-click the item...

Anyway, the composite bows let you add the strength bonus to damage rolls;
    a composite longbow -str 14- let you add up to 2 of your bonus to damage rolls, if your strength is higher, it doesn't matter, just get 2, but if your strength is lower you'll get a penalization (i think it's -2) to roll, because you lack the strength to use it properly.

The Dwarven armors are lighter than normal armour, because they are made of adamantite, which also gives them DR (damage reduction) 2 or 3 depending the model.

3. berzerker

berzerker Random Passerby

Hey Knight -

but thats pretty cool! I hadn't gotten that stuff yet!

I dont have my 3rd edition stuff handy (and dont own 3.5 except a pdf update.. somewhere)...

but dwarven armor being adamantite; and composite bows adding strength bonus - is that official or just good thinking?

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

All new items are in accordance with 3.5 rules.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

The composite bows are official (at least since 3 Ed) and fully legal, if you buy one you'll get the authenticity certificate signed by a G.G dude :)

The adamantine armor not too shure...they are especific armors, in 3 Ed they where much lighter than other armor (except Mithril of course), and had lots of hardness (HP for common things) and where masterwork, they're not common items; Adamantine it's mainly used for weapons, since they're much more harder to break, it's the preferred metal of the dwarves (in 3.5 the weapons also ignore hardness, very useful for hacking doors, orc helmets...and beer barrels :beer: , all dwarven hobbys )

Zeb got it :)
    they must have been added in 3.5 DMHB, which, shame on me, i didn't finish to read

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. berzerker

:dance:
    ROFLMAO!!

as to not finishing the 3.5 DMG; dude, don't feel bad - they change the rules so frequently you could pull an "Exorcist" making your head spin:twitch:

7. fb2007

fb2007 Member

So adamantium does damage reduction

very cool

anyone know what darkwood and mithil do?

or can refer me somewhere so I stop annoying everyone with these questions

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than iron but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0)

as for darkwood...

This rare magic wood is as hard as normal wood but very light. Any wooden or mostly wooden item (such as a bow, an arrow, or a spear) made from darkwood is considered a masterwork item and weighs only half as much as a normal wooden item of that type. Items not normally made of wood or only partially of wood (such as a battleaxe or a mace) either cannot be made from darkwood or do not gain any special benefit from being made of darkwood. The armor check penalty of a darkwood shield is lessened by 2 compared to an ordinary shield of its type. To determine the price of a darkwood item, use the original weight but add 10 gp per pound to the price of a masterwork version of that item.

9. berzerker

Yeah I thought making Dwarven armor SPECIAL was pretty cool.

Now call me a traditionalist; (or tolkien-ist?) but i always associated the dwarves with MITHRAL...

Adamant-ish just makes me think of ULTRON... well, and of course; Wolverine - and he IS pretty DWARF-ish come to think of it; bub. ^_^

Niggling points aside; I think that was some nice flavor work.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
Our Host!