Moathouse Question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ZugZug, Sep 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ZugZug

ZugZug Member

I'm trying to get into the chest after I kill the spider. I have 2 characters that have the pick lock skill and i think I've failed at least 20 times with each. Is there a trick or maybe a key i haven't found yet? Please help. :stoned:

2. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

You might need to come back to the chest later after you have improved your lock picking skill points... several of them in the moathouse are set high and I normally have to come back later or get a knock spell

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Nope, it's just very hard to open them (thanks to c08!). Remember to equip the thieve's tool outside, and whenever you can, buy a masterwork thieve's tool. Of course, you could use the first level spell and open it easily but where would be the fun?:p

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Knock it one time.

5. ZugZug

ZugZug Member

So its not just me and my bad luck. Thanks. :mrhappy:

6. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Keep in mind that if you have disabled any trap on the lock and you aren't in combat, then your D20 roll is always 20. So you just have to be sure your Pick Lock modifier is high enough to get you to the DC of the lock. Cat's Grace is a good spell to boost that Dex-based skill 2 points. And shedding any armor with a Check Penalty also helps. So the motto is: Naked Lock-Picking is Good.

And Half Knight's right. The Thieves Tools get rid of that -2 that you have without them.

7. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

@ Krunch-

KNOCK! HOLLA!!

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Buff your rogue. I've got it open at level 2 without knock. Otherwise level 3 or 4 should do it.

9. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

I was just going to say Guidance works nicely here. I've never seen anyone use it in "real" D&D but it's quite useful in Co8-modded ToEE.

@the original poster - you know you can view your rolls, right? You can click on the d20 in the lower right corner of the screen and it will show you what you rolled and what you needed. On most non-combat, non-trap-related skill uses you automatically get a 20, an adaptation of the Take 20 rule from "real" D&D, so either you'll get it on the first try or you never will... but if you're close to the number you need, you might be able to get it by buffing up a bit. That's where Guidance comes in, if you're just one point short; a little later on the various "animal buff" spells become quite useful for this as well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Our Host!