The greatest sporting event of the year.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Sep 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Oh whateverr! you know damn well it isn't. Any sport that only one or two countries want to play can't qualify as "greatest sport". Also any sport where the players have to wear 40lbs of protective gear where similar sports don't (eg rugby union and rugby league) can't count either.

One thing I noticed is that the USA's team seems to run out of steam later in the game, especially the exfootball guys, the must be used to taking more breaks rather than running for 80mins.

@zuluwarrior94; I'm curious, did you ever play football?

2. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Football's for P... well, you know.

3. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

>:-O

I'll agree that football is a little less rugged due to all the equipment, but hey, it's an enjoyable sport to watch, and my favorite. I was only joking when I said it's the best, but I love it <3

4. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

hey, one of the French players lives in my building! (RĂ©mi Martin, blond giant)

I guess they don't pay them that well!! :)

Other that that, I haven't followed the games.

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah I knew you were kidding, but you shoulda seen the look in your face. It went something like...
    Once you see a few (world class) games of rubgy (league* or union) you'll be hooked. I saw some football on ESPN a little while ago, vikings vs someone I think, and it was pretty hard to watch. heaps of stoping play to change the team over when a turnover happened or stoping for adds (and it looked like they actually stoped paly for the adds rather than fitting them in around breaks in play) all the fucking around took any excitement out of the game.

*league is a pretty fast paced game and normally quite exciting to watch altho I don't know who to suport, there are 16 teams in the NRL 1 NZ team and 15 Aussie teams and the NZ team is pretty average (and when you think NZ has a similar population to Sydney and they have about 9 clubs and we have 1 we thats got to say something).

One of my friends goes on holidays with Richie Mccore (the Captain of the All Blacks) and I'm just alittle jellous.

6. zuluwarrior94

As far as American football goes, I like watching College football more than Pro. The college players play harder than the NFL'ers. Especially the quarterbacks. They're still trying to Earn their millions in the NFL. Once they get there, they can't afford to get hurt, and they're Told to not get hurt.

Oh, and Whatesername, I'm a Cowboys fan. And I meant Pansies.

7. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Rugby is great fun to play, but not as entertaining for me to watch. I definitely agree with Cujo, the commercially required breaks in American Football serve to break the momentum of both spectator and participant, but for me it is still the most entertaining sport to spectate.

Basketball is also, in my opinion, a great sport to watch; true it doesn't have the violent collisions and manhandling of its participants that you find in Rugby and Football, but it possesses a grace and flow that you don't find in many other sports.

-Grey

8. zuluwarrior94

I don't mind basketball, especially if it's college or highschool. Middle school (junior high) basketball and volley are especially fun to watch. You never know where the ball's gonna go.

And if you have never seen Pop Warner football, you haven't laughed. The tiny kids with the huge helmets and pads running the wrong way? :mrhappy:
    Comedy at its finest!

9. whatsername74

That's great, I'm a Giants fan.

Sunday was luck.

10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Forgive me being ignorant, but can someone tell me what's the difference
    between Rugby and American Footbal, besides Americans wearing armour?

11. whatsername74

I think it's that football stops after every play while rugby is faster paced like soccer.

Right?

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ther are two kinds of football teams, Miami Dolphins and others. heh heh

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

You can't pass the ball fowards only side ways or backwards (a foward pass is a penalty) play doesn't stop if the player with the ball is tackled, what happens is a ruck (if the player goes to ground) or a maul (where the player doesn't go to ground and is suported by a team mate).
    When you score a "touch down" (called a try in rugby) you actually have to force the ball to the ground over the try line. Play continues until the ball/ball-carrier goes into touch (out of bounds) or a player commits a penalty or a player scores. Any team mate in nearer the opposition goal than the ball carrier is off side, and must not interfere with play, which means that American football style blocking is forbidden.

A ruck is formed when the ball is on the ground and players from both sides are bound to each other over the ball. The players in the ruck may not pick up the ball unless they first drive over. Players may use their feet to hook the ball out of the ruck. A maul is formed when the ball carrier does not get tackled, and a supporting player is bound to him/her. The maul is like a ruck in that anyone joining must come from behind the rearmost teammate. If the player goes to the ground the maul becomes a ruck.

for more reading...

Comparison of American football and rugby union

Comparison of American football and rugby league

and just for that little bit extra

Comparison of rugby league and rugby union

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

15. zuluwarrior94

Rugby and Alcohol, Brilliant!

@Cujo- I'm glad you got here before me. There's no way after a Dart League night, after 12 pints of beer and 4 shots (of I don't know what) that I'd be able to actually explain the difference between Rugby and American Football. (It took me 10 minutes to write this message.) I'm glad you're here, man.

@ Whatsername - I figured you were a Giants Fan. But just so you know, I'm NOT a
    Giants HATER. I AM a 49'ers HATER. Though I will say that I've always liked the Jets more than the Giants. Probably because I like airplanes.

Hense my "Zulu Warrior" title. I scored a "TRY." Nakedness is all well and good, until it's YOU doing the nakedness.

@ Cujo- Flashbacks, Galore! I'll preface this by saying that I was a Foreword. I'm reminded of the time I went in head-first to "bust up" a ruck, and when I went out the other side, I hit the guy ("Jason") with the ball head-to-head. I won, and he was out for almost 5 minutes.

He bought me a beer at the social. Rugby's the only sport where you get drunk with the people whom you spent the last 80 minutes beating up. And the scrum...I was a lock most of the time (sometimes prop) and Leg_pressing 8 other guys is a strenuous thing. It's amazing the size guy you can move when your adrenaline (/"bloodlust") is up.

Drunk-Typing SUCKS! :beer: OR is FUN. At the moment I can't decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
Our Host!