...but I did insert the play disc.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Azzkigar, Sep 2, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Azzkigar

Azzkigar Member

Hi everybody.

I have a problem. I recently installed the first and second patches for The Temple of Elemental Evil. Now, when I try to launch the game I get a bizarre message telling me to "Please insert the Temple of Elemental Evil Play Disc." I may be crazy, but I'm more than certain that the play disc is already in the drive. I get the same message when I try to launch the C08 5.0.0 mod from ToEEFE. I've tried everything and I'm at my wit's end. A number of sites I visited mention this problem, but none seem to be forthcoming with a solution. One site even said they weren't alowed to discuss the problem due to issues with Atari.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, or more importantly, can anyone tell me?

If you know of a solution but can't post it here, please e-mail me. azzkigar@hotmail.com

Thank you.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you'll have to find a NoCD crack for patch 2, I was going to send you the one I've got but I seem to have misplaced it.

3. Azzkigar

Azzkigar Member

Thanks. At least now I know what to look for. :clap:

If anyone has one let me know.

4. Azzkigar

Azzkigar Member

Hey, I found one at LINK REMOVED it works now! :joy:

I could kiss you! ...I won't, but I could.

*Singing* CUJO! AH AH! King of the impossible! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well you got the 'Queen' part right :icon_chuc

6. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

cookies anyone? ^_^

7. Azzkigar

Azzkigar Member

Almost everything works great now, but when I try to use a different portrait pack all I get are black squares with cursor arrows for character portraits. :sadblinky

Now, I'm not really complaining, I can make do with the scant few pics ToEE gives me, but if anyone knows how to add the Baldur's Gate ect. portraits to the list it would be most appreciated.

8. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Just rename your portrait.mes located in your
    Toee\data\art\interface\portraits\ to one of the
    other .mes files located there. Playfile should be
    fine.

Oh.. wait you actually have to download a portrait pack first.
    :D
    Have a look in here.
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2823

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I removed the link to the NoCD from Azzkigar's post because NoCD patches are widely regarded as being illegal (even though they ARE a solution to the CD check problems). Please be careful when posting links at the Circle of Eight boards. The Circle of Eight staff can't and won't host the noCD cracks at the boards, and we can't allow the corresponding links to be posted here. Everyone is free to choose whether to use a NoCD or not (and yes, the NoCD is known to solve many problems regarding SecuROM protection), but he will have to do a search and locate the NoCD on the web.

- Agetian

10. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Why are they illegal? Don't you need a disc installation of the game before you can use a no-CD crack anyway?

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well, what some people do is rent (or maybe even buy) a game, install it, crack it and then take the game back, or buy a game and sell it on after cracking it.

the site that was listed in this thread had alot of disclamers stating that the NoCD crack was only legal if you currently own the original play disks, if you lose possession of the original disks for any reason (having them snaped in half still counts as owning them as long as you keep the pieces) you must delete the crack.

12. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, well - the points of view on the NoCD cracks vary greatly, from complete acceptance ("everyone is free to choose whether to insert or not to insert the play disc during the game", "those who legally own the game have the right to possess NoCD as well", etc. etc.) to complete rejection ("NoCDs are illegal because they stimulate illegal distribution of the games through the Internet", "NoCDs allow the people who didn't buy the game to just copy it", etc. etc.). It's kind of a "gray area", if you know what I mean - very debatable and often problematic to gaming website owners. Therefore, to be on the safe side, I suggest that we continue our policy - that is, we shouldn't host NoCDs or provide any links to websites that host them. After all, it's not a huge problem to find a NoCD by googling for it. I hope it's understandable.

- Agetian

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah, I'm one of those guys who think that if you legally own a game then a NoCD crack is fine, but I can see your point - better safe than sorry.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I don't see it as that grey an area - I would suggest that no-CD cracks are used to illegally distribute games infinitely more than to save on the hassle of looking for CDs before playing games you bought. Yes, I agree you should be able to legally crack the .exes of software you legitimately paid for and own, but in the real world thats not why people go to the trouble to make cracked .exes and dristribute them.

Our Host!