Balor Guardian Crash?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SomeAbercrombieGuy, Aug 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. SomeAbercrombieGuy

SomeAbercrombieGuy Member

I've been searching the forums and no one seemed to have a fix for the CTD when I killed him. Does anyone have anything new to work around this? I've got the Co8 and the latest fixpack. Thanks everyone! :mrhappy:

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Avoid using Scather and/or Fragarach, try to use Icey, Icey Burst, and/or Holy weapons against him, cast protection from evil/chaos on all party members before combat, and scribe lots Cone of Cold scrolls. Then you just have to hope you can get all the way throught he fight without the game crashing on you (saving before taking him on isn't considered cheating ;)).

3. SomeAbercrombieGuy

Thanks for the info, but I don't have either of those weapons and killing him isn't the issue (Thanks to the druid bringing in three earth elementals and the sorcerer hastening them haha) it crashes right as he dies lol it's so sad to finish him off and not get to enjoy it. The same thing happens with the battle of Hendak and Iuz :cry: The rest of the game works fine, it's just these two battles that seem to kill the game. Good thing they're not important or anything.... I don't know I'm going to try a couple more times before I give up though.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What do you have installed?
    game
    + atari patch2 ???
    + Co8 5.0.0 MOD ???
    + Co8 5.0.x CMF ???

5. SomeAbercrombieGuy

Yep, everything's up to date. It's strange how it's just two little things that crash it, always when the balor dies and when St. Cuthbert finishes talking. Do they share a script or something that may be corrupted or something? Whatever's causing it isn't random; it's a definite thing that always happens. Is there any kind of log or something the game generates that I can post to help you guys diagnose the problem?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

When we had crashes from *cough* other balors in the game (which turned out to be unrelated) a lot of effort was put into finding out why. One thing that did come out was the fact that the Balor death has caused crashes since the game first came out, and was complained about both here in the early days and on the Atari forums.

Save before fighting him :(

7. SomeAbercrombieGuy

That's what I was afraid of, I was hoping there was some strange fix like not having a certain helm equiped or something, instead of it being a constant thing. I'll just have to skip him and his and part of the golden orb. Thanks guys :)

8. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

I've never had a problem with the game crashing during or after the balor on the fire plane.

I did once have a problem where the game wouldn't let me pick up the fire gem. The circle would light up but I couldn't pick up the gem. But that only happened one time and hasn't happened again.

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

It's a very old bug, and like many of the old bugs, it crops up and then disappears seemingly at random. Black goats, as ever, are my preference for sacrifice before playing. Spike uses chickens. No-one has tried turtledoves yet, AFAIK.

10. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Turtledoves, huh? I'll try it and let you know. :evil_laug

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Can we see the chicken-on-fire pic, once again? This thread begs to see it posted.

[EDIT]
    I searched for a foto that trumps it, but was not successful.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Spike, "that here we go again [yawn]" crack was NEVER meant seriously! Nor is any use of the :rant: icon I have ever made. Post the chicken every day, I don't mind :hug:

If anyone pisses me off, you'll know the difference. ;)

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Okay. I promise to piss you off later. :D

15. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

hey, I just killed a certain Frank and that just got my 8-char party (10th level average) only about 125 xp per person... is that normal? :scratchhe

Our Host!