Halberd

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Enilno, Feb 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

What weapon type is the appropriate choice if I want to have Weapon Focus for the halberd?

I was able to search the old posts to see that the halberd was recently added (by Cujo, IIRC -- it is item # 4412 in my description.mes file), but I couldn't find an answer to the Weapon Focus question.

Thanks!

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

for weapon focus etc its a guisarme - cos of the lack of avaliable weapon types and feats. I figured that as a guisarme was used in pretty much the same way it would do (and it means you can use both :eyebrow: )

3. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

@Cujo -- Thanks, the halberd model looks great by the way.

I was trying my hand at modding in a masterwork version of the halberd (my first bit of modding ever) when I noticed something. It looks like there may have been a halberd in the game at some point or at least someone intended there to be one, because an unused halberd icon (#199) exists in inventory.mes. I changed #4412 in protos.tab to use icon #199. (Works and now looks like a halberd in my inventory instead of a guisarme.) Also, I copied #4412 and changed it #4512, added the bonus 'masterwork weapon', and adjusted the price by 30000 copper (costs 31000 c.p.). I need to take a closer look at how to mod a MOB (which sounds like it will be a bit tougher -- hope to try this later today), but I was able to get the masketwork halberd and a standard halberd to spawn in Bother Smith's inventory by including #4412 and #4512 in InvenSourse.mes.

I remember seeing someone else state while I was searching for info on the halberd that they thought they remembered them being in the game before. I seem to recall this as well (fuzzy two year old memory), but I'm not sure. Maybe it was removed because it caused problems? The halberd I recall (if I'm not just dreaming this up) didn't have the reach the current one has (which is nice for my characters but not really supposed to happen in 3.5 I think). What gives reach in protos.tab anyway? Is it the length of the weapon?

Regardless, I thought you guys might want to switch to using the halberd icon (#199) for the halberd (#4412).

I'm also thinking I will take a look at what is identified as a trident icon (#215) to replace the ransuer one (#203) that the current trident (#4413) is using. Maybe a trident was in the game in the past as well?

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'm not positive, but I think reach is determined by the proficiency the weapon uses. I know, for example, the bugbear greatsword is listed in the protos.tab as using glaive proficiency and seems to be why greatsword-wielding bugbears have reach (and why in my protos overhaul I reduced the damage of the bugbear greatswords to 2d4, like a guisarme, to make up for them granting reach.)

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well thats pretty cool about the inventory pic - that'll have to be added to the next release

6. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Re: Halberd (and Trident)

I changed the icon for the trident in my protos.tab (#4413) to be the trident icon (#215) referenced in inventory.mes. Not surprisingly, it looks like a trident. :) (Or a pitchfork, at least -- certainly, different from the ranseur icon.).

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that's excellent:thumbsup:

8. Exaercase

Exaercase Member

Hello,

I not sur not saying stupid thing but in game the halbard has no reach capacity but in long description this weapon has it. i ve search in proto.tab and the type of Halberd is "D20DT_PIERCING_AND_SLASHING 1d10 halberd" and for guisarme : " D20DT_SLASHING 2d4 guisarme" so i think the last param give the reach capacity cause i ve not found other param. But my question is halbard is reach and profi in proto for halbar is Halbar so the weapon must could do reach atk no ???????

Moreover the Masterwork Version have this parmam : "OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_PRIMARY OWF_TWO_HANDED 3 D20DT_PIERCING_AND_SLASHING 1d10 halberd" the two first are not in normal version i not understand :( how for the normal version the game know is a Two handed weapon.

Thx for help !!

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Firstly Halberds aren't reach weapons in dnd 3.5 so its a mistake in the description not in how it works.

as for how does the game know its 2 handed, well any weapon that's large is automaticly 2 handed to medium creatures.

Our Host!