Useful tricks

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Half Knight, Aug 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

The sling is a wonderful weapon, it's light so it carries no weight problems, the ammunition its cheap and easy to find (now thanks to co8!) it has no penalty to reload them (as the crossbow)it's the only ranged weapon that deals bludgeoning damge and the best of all is that applies the bonus strength to damage, so in the overall you could end doing more damage than a bow or crossbow...and most classes could use it.

A fighter with a two handed weapon should have improved trip, and a rogue with combat reflexes flanking the target, you'll get a sneak attack when he falls and one when steps up and the fihgter too.

A druid/barbarian makes for a good combination: not only the barbarian lets you move faster and gives martial proficiency, also you could buff yourself, shapeshift, and let yourself fly in rage (or any combination), remember that you get extra HP whit raging, and when back to normal shape you will heal a bit; if also combined with Cujo's "dwarf sponge kit" you can have a really though character (and the bonus to movement of barbarian compensating the dwarf penalization)

2. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

Wow! I'm sure this isn't new to many, but here goes: I just played a Druid for the first time, and took scribe scroll, mainly for the quick healing. Then it hit me: summon animals. A pack of about 12 bears made short work of Lareth's bunch!:dance:

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

doesn't matter - it'll be new to some people which is the point of this thread.

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Yep, like the fact that many people still does'nt know that Clerics can always change memorized spells for cure spell pressing "shift", and the druid change any memorized spell in to "summon nature's ally" the same way (not confuse with "summon nature Allyx":) )

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

"Summon nature's Allyx" summons a tall, chain-clad critter that modifies all your weapons. It is outlawed in most areas of the Flanaess. :eek:mg:

Clerics change to Cure spells if they are positive - evil clerics change to Inflict spells. Evil druids summon fungi. Evil bards summon white noise.

(The last two are less than accurate).

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

7. Pygon

Pygon Member

I can't say I really liked building a character around knowing what I would find later in the game. As such, I found the Whirlwind feat path for the fighter to be not so worthwhile. In order to use it, you have to be in range of several enemies and endure a round's worth of attacks before you can activate it (since it's a full round action), and you only hit everything once (unless you manage to down one, then you can cleave, etc.)

Some of my favorite tactics are:

* Charm person - take one of them away, add a combatant to your party. It doesn't work that way in the paper game, but hey, I'll take it.
    * Glitterdust + rogue - every attack against a blinded creature is sneak attack. Beauty.
    * Sleep - great at low levels, poor man's fireball. Replace it later.
    * Daze - very useful in low levels against humanoids. Taking someone out of the action for 1 round counts for a lot.

Improved Critical(greatsword) gives me a good laugh with my half-orc fighter/barbarian. When he leans back on his strike, I know the bad guy's in trouble. Sometimes I take out Hedrack before he can even think about calling Iuz.

Oh, and make sure all your party members have both a slashing and blunt weapon. When the oozes show up, put away your swords!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  8. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

Brilliant!!! :largeclap
    (glittering, even)

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Web is an effective low-level spell for encounters against several opponents. Then, you can use ranged weapons or spells to finish them off.

I also like using Grease against opponents in rooms or small, confined areas. Ray of Enfeeblement can be good to use, too.

10. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

I like having a Good Cleric with the Good Domain and have him/her craft a Wand of Holy Smite. Kills some, hurts some, and blinds Most of the bad guys in a 20 foot radius. It also makes for a good Sneak-Attack Buffet for the Rogue.

11. Daniel

Funny!

If your druid has a familiar...

...and you got a certain reward from a certain Prince...

...pickpocket the pet.

:mrhappy:

12. Daniel

A few handy habits:

- instead of carrying your gems & jewelry around, store them in Nira's chest (once you've stolen his key, you can use it, he "won't mind"). Given he's your best buyer and you're going to use a steal/sell routine, dont waste precious backpack slots carrying the stuff.

- craft a helm of reading magic as soon as you can, and assign a hotkey to it. That way your main looter can identify potions & scrolls as he picks them (endless charges it would seem). this leaves some space for useful cantrips such as acid splash, daze, flare, disrupt undead, and the precious cure minor wounds...

- assign a hotkey to actions that need to be real fast: coup de grace (sometimes when you take the time to use the radial menu the troll wakes up), mirror image (when you buff up several casters before a fight), bless, haste...

Also, for Desperate Housewives: your paladin *won't fall* for running the errands if he wasn't a paladin yet when he accepted the quest...

:)

13. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

some good pointers above, btw, although very basic for the most part... though some of this is more along the lines of 'cheats/exploits' than good tactics.

there's a good thread on combat tactics at the atari archives which goes into much more detail about actual tactics and game mechanics/ruleset in toee:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335516

quite worth the read.

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

This isn't exactly a trick, but I've only recently noticed that Bodaks and Shadows are undead creatures that can be turned. Could have saved me a few death gazes if I had known this earlier!

15. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

A helpful cleric spell for dealing with Bodaks is Protection from Evil or Magic Circle Against Evil. They boost the saving throw to overcome the death gaze. I usually have a fighter-type face off with the bodaks, with one of those spells on him, and kick their @$$#$.

Our Host!