5.0.x Cumulative Mods & Fixes (CMF) Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by HobbesMG, Jul 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

wel lthe reason I said that, is for reasons that Old Book stated - by the time you get to Nulb the locals wont be wanting to mess with you directly, but if anyone wanted to subtlely get rid of the party well thats what I'd do if there were snakes in NZ.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Been thinking about this a bit more and mulling over what everyone's said, and here's what I propose:

• Make the purchased house, the Snakepit, and the Waterside Hostel green tent. Thus, you can rest safely in your own house and where someone else has provided for your security, even though in the case of the Hostel Rentsch can't guarantee the security of your property.
    • Make all other areas (excluding someone else's property, where they'd put you out) yellow tent, including outside areas. This means you are technically at risk resting in these areas, but you can try if you want to.
    • The key point: make all the yellow tent areas have a 0% chance of random encounters. That's right, not a single RE would occur in Nulb, as per the module. The thing is, the player wouldn't know that because they're yellow areas. Thus, they'd always be on edge, theoretically. Nulb is dangerous after all. ;)
    In this fashion we would effectively circumvent the game system's method of informing you if resting is safe or not (which thus removes any uncertainty and makes it routine), without plaguing players with idiotic random encounters. This method would also provide the greatest dramatic impact for the revenge encounter. When your avoidance of real trouble in Nulb finally catches up with you, it does so in a big way.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Sounds good. :)

Plus, it allows nicely for other planned ambushes and assassination attempts in Nulb later, if we have a plot idea that suggests adding them.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

:imwithstu

Ba-dum-dum *cymbals*

Spider...bug...get it? Your rep as spam meister has never been in doubt. Although, I would like to remind you that Lolth could send just such a creature or five to exact a little revenge in her own, more personal, sort of way.

Gaear, I agree with everything, except making the Hostel green; it should be yellow, too, imo.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So even after you pay for your room, its a yellow area, indicating how dodgy it is to sleep there?

I like it :)

6. Lord_Spike

Precisely. This keeps in line with what others (Otis?) tell you about the place. Nothing need happen necessarily, but it always could. How 'bout adding a random thief encounter there if nothing else? It'd be a perfect spot for a guy like Furnok to have drifted if he's been shut down in Hommlet.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

al agree with all of the above.

8. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hmm, this is starting to sound good.

Myself I'd prefer to see a slight chance of a thief/murderer encounter anywhere there's a yellow tent. It makes sense that the odd person might be desperate enough to try it when the heros are asleep. And it wouldnt be a large devience from the module. Just my $0.02 worth though, there is a certain appeal to Gaear's idea of just keeping them on edge.

Cuchulainn.

9. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

For that matter, was there ever an event scripted involving a 10th level assassin trying to kill the PCs in their sleep after they kill Lareth and pawn his gear? I've never run into it, if it's in there.

10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Sounds great. It would be even more interesting
    if Rannos and Gremag could sneak up on the PCs
    after triggering the target of revenge quest.

@Jesse H. There is a random encounter that spawns
    an assassin in front of the PCs... AFAIK the assassin
    was also present in the original game.

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I tried talking to Bing first - then when he gave me the "Hee hee" I looked at the others in the room.

I did do a couple of quests in an unusual (at least for me) order with this party: I waited until after initiating the quest to convert the carpenter's brother to Old Faith before asking Terjon about conversions. That way I could get Melany and her dowry without having to take on and kill off Fruella. Maybe the problem initiated there. I don't think I talked to Bing or Jakk's wife for a long time after healing Bing - I did business strictly with Jakk. The only reason I talked to Bing at all when I did was to see if he would give me a better price on something - it was a leather good (masterwork sling maybe) but Jakk wasn't giving me the good price for it like I thought he should.

12. Lord_Spike

It is. T1-4, page 26, center column, about 3/4 of the way down.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, I've noticed that pricing thing too: but they have an identical buy_list_num (5, the one for leather) so I am not sure what to do about it.

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Meh, I'm not gonna sweat it. I've noticed a few items here and there that don't seem to sell for what they should (mw hvy flail, mw kama for ex.) but I just figure there must be a really slow market for those items and move on.:shrug:

15. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

I mean, I know about it in the module. I've never seen it in the computer game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!