Atari

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Jul 26, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

They could just give it to us. ;)

Ok wake up Allyx - your dreaming again.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

It would be a nice gesture to make the game 'free'. Especially after all the problems it suffered.

It's a bit early to be drinking on a Saturday isn't it? Here's to us, who's like us? Darned few, and they're bankrupt... :drunk:

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I never have completely understood the Atari/Troika/WotC connection. WotC holds the rights to all things "offical" D&D" and Troika developed the game-engine for Atari? Atari may have a permit to develope D&D material, but depending on Hasbro, WotC,etc, it may or maynot happen. WotC has no need of the game-engine and I haven't heard of any one attempting a ToEE type game. So, Limbo, wait-and-see, blah, blah,etc. Same old story.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

They should make it free ware. Kinda like some of the old school dungeons are becoming. I've DL'd White Plume Mountain & Tomb of Horrors from their site. Updated for 3.5, no telling how much could be earned from a re-release. Some things just need to be done for the loyal fans. Of that group, I'd say that'd be us - not to mention those we've been serving through our work(s).

Forget the tools - they need to release the source code!

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

What kind of value does a game-engine have? If atari doesn't have any plans for it or it's not useable in other applications, what's the sense in holding on to it. Does it have any resale value? Just curious.

6. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Infogrames, www.infogrames.com , is the current owner of Atari and the Hasbro rights to the D&D PC / console game market. They have a contact section on their website, but do not expect a reply because of the following:

1) They are French, and they hate Yanks and Brits;

2) Their stock is going down La Toilette;

3) They don't give a damn about third-party development, unless they can sue someone; and

4) (Insert your own theory here)

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that the thing when people sell something they lovingly created to someone who can only see how they can make money off it - the buyers seem to lose the thing that made other people love it in the first place as well.

8. adarius

adarius One man army.

Hmm...where's the Atari HQ? I think I'll go sit outside, make a picket line, and hold up a giant banner attached to two sticks for a while. I've been mad at Atari since their games went down hill, and I think it's about time for me to do something about it. =\ What ever happened to the good old Atari console and the original Pong....that was fun. xD

9. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

It's the mentality of the playground, in corporate suits.

Let's say little Jimmie has something that Bobbie wants. Jimmie is tired of the object, perhaps even dislikes it. Will he give it to Bobbie? Hell no!

He'll squeeze whatever capital out of it that he can, and if that fails, he may even hold it out of spite. Its human nature.

Our Host!