The Nulb Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Jan 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ucla

ucla Member

No sollution to the nulb crash?
    I am playing the beta 5.0.4 and after crashing i removed the game and did a reinstall.. patching again and all.. as i started a new party and went until the point nulb was unlocked.... CRASH, again..

No plans of playing the game again until its fixed.. Crash = no fun

Edit: "STEP 6

Before you follow step 6, you need to load up the frontend. Start up the frontend (also called ToEEFE or Toffee on these forums). Left-click on the words "Co8 v5.0.0" which are in the white box to the lefthand side of the pop-up screen. Then click launch game. What you are doing is selecting the version of the game which you want to play. The frontend will create a 300mb file and it will tell you so. Let the game load up normally and then exit the game. Now you're ready for the next step."

I was re-reading this topic and found someone talking about this point.. I am going to reinstall it (this time running the game before patching it to the BETA) and see what it happens :yes:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Helmo

Helmo Member

Let us know if that fixes the problem¡¡¡

3. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

UCLA... let us know if you had installed the Corsair Mod as this would answer a question the modders are kicking back and forth.

4. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

I am very happy to report that since carefully following Zebedee's install instructions, deleting PYCs, and cleaning up the map folder, My game is running crash-free(knock on wood!).

Thanks all!:mrhappy:

5. Saraivinha

Saraivinha Member

K, I finally got my Nulb loading. Yesterday I got the same problem then u guyz, and heres what I did...

1st I tried reinstalling the game, but even after doing all the install (game install, patch 2, mod pack v5, cumulative mod 5.0.4), all I got was my game full of the old bugs again (loot bug, etc), as if the co8 pack wasnt working. After some tries, this worked:

I reinstalled the .NET, replaced the official attari patch 2 for the "no cd crack patch 2" (wich is what I think that made the difference), and reinstalled everything over again... that made the pack work again (all the bugs fixed). So I created a new game (My party was only the giant premade char). Used some of those "SHIFT ~" commands to get my giant all set, and after 5 mins or so, (without using saves, so I wouldnt corrupt the file) I had the Moathouse cleared and was on my way to Nulb. Guess what? It worked... its loading.
    So, to those who still get loot bug and stuff like that, try using the "No CD crack" Patch 2, instead of the Official Patch 2, just google it.

And to those who crash at Nulb all the time: Im pretty sure that, in my case, I got my savegame corrupted because I used "Quicksaves" (F11) and "Quickloads" a lot, and I think I did use "Autosave" once too. So pretty much, Im not sure about quicksaves, but Im pretty sure Autosaves will fuck u up when u get to Nulb (maybe some event in there that wont load because of it?).

So... just make sure u make a full reinstall of your game and install it all over again the right way (make sure u have .NET installed, install the game, run "No CD/Fixed Patch 2", install the 5.0.0 pack, run "ToEE Front-End" loading the Mod (will ask you about the 300 MB stuff), click yes, wait until it loads the game, quit the game, install the cumulative mod 5.0.4, run "Front End" again using the mod, and make a new game... make sure to not use Autosaves (turn off on preferences), and Im not sure, but I wouldnt risk Quicksaves either.

Hope it helps,

Thx for the great job on the mod.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You have to install the Atari Patch2 followed by installing the Co8 MOD. After installing both, you could implement the English 2 version of the NO-CD patch. In short, follow Zeb's installation instructions and, then, implement the NO-CD patch.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  7. Saraivinha

Saraivinha Member

Hmm... yea, I dont rememer if I had already installed the official patch 2 b4, and then installed the "no cd/fixed patch 2", all I know is that its working perfect now. But yea... just to make sure, install the patch 2 and then the "no cd patch" on it. Not sure about that order tho... do u really have to install the "no cd patch" AFTER "Co8 Mod"?

I mean... Official patch 2 - Co8 Mod - Co8 Cumulative mod - No CD/Fixed patch 2 ?
    or
    Official patch 2 - No CD/Fixed patch 2 - Co8 Mod - Co8 Cumulative mod ?

Later

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Either way should be fine, the no-CD crack just replaces the original .exe file with a cracked .exe file that doesn't include the copywrite protection, as long as you add it after the official patch 2 you should be fine. The Co8 patch and CMF doesn't do anything with the .exe file in any way.

9. bananaman

bananaman Member

My experience regarding the Nulb crash, and certain conjectures about it. For those uninterested, simply skip and read the last 2 paragraphs. :blahblah:

-Things I did -

Recently, I had just reinstalled the entire game, together with the No-CD patch 2, Frontend, 5.00 and 5.04 mod (from 5.0.x Cumulative Mods and Fixes (CMF) Submissions Thread). Despite following the installation instructions and unzipping all the files to the corresponding directories, the Frontend (version 4.00) refuses to recognize it as being modded to 5.04, and the game simply crashes whenever I tried to visit Nulb by any means, be it through conversation, from any location, spells and items. (I tried deleting the game cache manually, but to no avail.) By the way, I also did try downloading Frontend 3.80, unzipped the 5.04.rar a couple more times, tried using the No-CD patches 1 and 3, restarting the entire game a few times, but Frontend (both 3.80 and 4.00) simply refuses to recognize the game as being patched to version 5.04.

Next, I noticed another thread (from Premade 'Toffee' modules), and I simply downloaded and unzipped all the mod files there, and correspondingly deleted the rest of the mod modules other than 5.04 after finding them redundant. Surprisingly, I noticed a statement the when I next started Frontend (tried with both versions). It finally recognized the game as being modded to version 5.04, through for some unknown reasons, at the start-up menu screen, it still displays it as 5.00. (Maybe, this was not corrected???) Afterwhich, the Nulb crash thing stopped. :dance:

-Conclusions-

In my case, one of my main conjectures about my game crashing is due to the fact that certain items, especially those sold by Ah Fong are not being properly recognized in version 5.00. Basis for my guess - I tried opening the description.mes file with my Notepad, and used the console SHIFT ~ and tried giving some of the items that Ah Fong sells (using the give ##### command), and the game simply crashes. After Frontend managed to recognize the game as being patched to 5.04, such issues did not occur anymore, and I was able to give my characters the items that Ah Fong sells.

Therefore, for those having the Nulb crash bug, the main issue here is, after unzipping the correponding files in the directory as stated in the installation instructions, make sure that Frontend properly recognizes the patch to version 5.04. (One should see a message on the right hand side of the Frontend program verifying that the game has been patched to 5.04.) :goth:

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

This sounds like I'll need to be much more specific in the installation instructions as it seems the problem is actually fubar installation.

Thanks for letting me know precisely how you installed bananaman as it seems to, for me at least, definitely point to this not being so much as a bug as issues with installing the various mods and patches.

Will get onto it when I have a bit more time.

Tempted to unsticky this, but will leave it up for a bit longer. :pirate:

***Unstickied by Zeb as I think the problem is actually fubar installation. If anyone wants to resticky please do, just remove this comment :p***

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I hate to re-open this, but I just started suffering the Nulb crash. I have never had it before, and I have been playing basically the same install for over a year, with only the sporadic CMF updates changing things. Until today. Today I installed ToEEFE 4.0 (I was using 3.8,) and now I am getting the Nulb crash within a handful of day/night changes in Nulb.

Looking at dates, it seems this thread was started within days of the release of ToEEFE 4. I hope I'm just seeing things that aren't there, but it seems a little too coincidental to me right now.

As it stands, all my saves made since 4.0 was put in will CTD after anywhere from 0 to 4 map changes in Nulb, but games loaded from saves before 4.0 was introduced are stable until I save again. Then they get corrupted. I am going to do a total re-download and re-install and see if that fixes the problems.

[Edit] - So far, so good. A total clean wipe and re-install and I have not been able to recreate the CTD, at least using saves from before they started appearing. The saves from after the first ToEEFE 4.0 install were corrupted and would not even load after the re-install. Maybe something botched up in that install process? Hopefully the rest of the saves will continue to work properly, as the next option is probably to delete all the saves and start a new party.

[Edit 2] - See below. I no longer think ToEEFE has anything to do with the CTDs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  12. erkper

I have a new possible culprit for the CTDs: the Adamantium Breastplate sold at Ah Fong's. I started encountering the CTDs again this morning after a visit to Ah Fong's shop, and the only thing I bought there was that. Further testing shows me that I can move around Nulb as much as I like w/o problem, until I buy the Ad. Breastplate. Then, it CTDs within a few map changes. And come to think of it, I have never bought that armor before - maybe that is why I never got the Nulb crash before, too. That makes more sense than my over-tired accusation of TOEEEFE above.

@ Agetian - Sorry if I ruffled any feathers blaming ToEEFE for my CTDs. It was the only thing I could think of at the time that had changed.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Did anyone else who has had these issues use the Adamantium breastplate?

14. erkper

Just for the record, and Zeb's inevitable question, I had my issues after equipping it on a dwarf male. I will check other race/gender combos tonight.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Are the Nulb crashes currently being discussed recent and new - within the last 6 months?
    Or, is the discussion about Nulb crashes that have taken place from before 6 months ago and older?

Our Host!