Localized Version

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by silvannus, Jun 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. silvannus

silvannus Member

I want to try to translate the patches to spanish, and I suppose there will be more people who want to do it with their own language (as Morpheus has already done).

Morpheus (thanks for your help) gave me these guidelines:

1. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat which is installed with the original game (English version). Keep only the folders dlg and mes, you won't need the others.
    2. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE4.dat which is installed with patch 2.0. Again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.
    3. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat (LOCALIZED version). Yet again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.
    4. Use Beyond Compare or a similar program to compare the original with the patched files and modify the localized files accordingly.

I'm already arrived at the 3rd point, but I don't really know what should I begin with :( .

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Did you get hold of Beyond Compare? It was very useful for me.
    If you want to know what changed between the dlg & mes files from ToEE3.dat and ToEE4.dat, that's exactly the program you need. Do a folder-folder comparison (binary level) and then open the files that show differences.

You'll notice that most of the .mes files are already up to date in the localized versions (since they were released with Patch 1.0 already integrated).

3. Morpheus

Little tool

This excel file might help you as well. Place it in the dlg folder, activate the macro "ImportText" and it'll import all the dlg files in the folder right into the excel file.

It can export the dlg files, too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. silvannus

silvannus Member

Thank you for the file :D.

I wasn't sure if the first step was applying Beyond Compare, as you mentioned that some of the files of the localized version were different from the english version (pre-patched). Do I need to correct these differences first?

5. Morpheus

Fun with dlg files

Maybe the best way to proceed is the following: Import all the English dlg files into one big excel file, do the same with the Spanish ones, and then copy the Spanish male/female text columns into the English file. That way, you'll see where lines have to be added/deleted. Once you're finished, you just overwrite the English text with the Spanish one, and export all the dlg files.

When I did this, I found out that the following files had more strings in English than in German:
    00015prosperous elder d.dlg (10-12, 24-26, 34-36)
    00016prosperous farmer.dlg (129-140)
    00090brau apprentice 3.dlg (185-186)

Incidentally, the problem with 00016prosperous farmer.dlg also made the Cupid's Arrow quest unsolvable!

In these files, some strings had to be deleted in the localized version:
    00211troll with key.dlg (10001-12200)
    00212burnebadger.dlg (10001-12200)
    00261laborer_cook.dlg (10001-12200)

After you've made sure that all the localized dlg files have the same number of lines as the English ones, you can use Beyond Compare to find out which of the lines have been modified in the patches.

6. Falanel

Falanel Member

Where to find Toeextract.exe????

7. silvannus

silvannus Member

In http://www.co8.org you can find all the tools.

I'm currently comparing files, quite boring :p. I hope I can convince some friends to help me in summer :)

8. Falanel

Falanel Member

Uhm....let me know if i Understand all :

I Got the Italian version of the game.

I Install it...and extract Toee3.dat

I Patch the game to 2.0...and extract toee3.dat and toee4.dat

I did it correctly until now? I have to install also the english version? O_O

Then...what i have to compare? the ITALIAN toee3.dat with the others 2 files?

Edit :

I did those comparations :

Italian ToEE3.dat <-> Patched ToEE3.dat

and the 2 files are the same...no differencies

Italian ToEE3.dat <-> Patched ToEE4.dat

and i found many differencies....

I did the right comparations? Now? What i have to do?

*I'm going craaaaaazyyyyyyy*

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  9. silvannus

silvannus Member

OK, don't worry :). When you install a game (the localized or the italian version) it generates a toee3.dat. When you patch it (you should patch the english version, as there is no patch for the italian one) , it generates a toee4.dat.

You should extract both toee3.dat and toee4.dat from the patched english version. This way, you can compare what changes from the english toee3.dat to the toee4.dat, and that is what the patch changes.

Finally, you have to put all the changes of the patch in the files of the italian toee3.dat.

I hope these lines have help you. :)

10. Falanel

Falanel Member

ARGHHHHHH !!!

I did all wrong !!!

I have to compare ALL THE DIRECTORY....exept the 2 : DLG and MES?

(I'm I Stupid or just is my English really bad? :p)

And Then.....how to re-compress all in the ToEE3.dat and ToEE4.dat?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  11. silvannus

silvannus Member

No, no, you just need the dlg and mes files, when I wrote about the toee3.dat and toee4.dat files I ment the dlg and mes files inside them, sorry if I was not too clear :).

Once you know the diferences between the patched an unpatched version (both in english), you can apply the same changes to the italian files.

12. Falanel

Falanel Member

I don't know if i understand all, the steps are clear, but i can't see how it can translate the game ghghgh (but i'm not an expert ;))...but i don't want to be boring with too much questions.

Anyway i will do a Try....and will see.

Now i need the last information.

Once i found the differences beetween patched and unpatched files and changed the files.....how may i re-compact the files in the files ToEE3.dat and ToEE4.dat ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  13. silvannus

silvannus Member

You don't need to pack the mes and dlg files. The engine implemented by Troika is based in scripts, and it will look first for files in the game folder. If they have the same name, it takes them instead of the ones packed in the *.dat.

That is how the Co8 mod-pack works, it decompresses files in your game folder to be used instead of the original ones.

14. Falanel

Falanel Member

Oh....nice !!!

Thx for the help.....i will try and will come back here to write the results eheheh

Thanks again !!!

15. Falanel

Falanel Member

Oh....uhm....I understand all...i did it....but until now i just copied the LOCALIZED dlg & mes files with some differencies in the DATA folder of the game.

In that way i LOSE al the updates that the patch 2.0 does to the Dialogues...

...how to keep those updates? I have to TRANSLATE row-by-row all the dialogues?

There is a way to translate the dialogues automaticly? Is this EXCEL file usefull for that? If yes someone can explain me how to use this file?

Our Host!