TOEE won't start

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by griff, Jul 11, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. griff

griff Member

Hey All,

I hate to be posting this since it looks like it's been covered at legnth, however even after trying all the of the fixes my game still will not run.

When I start the game up I see the Atari, Troika, and Wizards intro screens and then am sent back to the desktop. I followed the in-depth installation topic, and then also ensured AA was set to application preference and the problem persists.

My system specs are ;

P4 2.4 (OC'd to 3.0)
    DFI Lanparty 875b mobo
    2 gigs pc3200 ram
    Geforce 7800 GS 256mb
    SB Live! (old'd)

and my copy of TOEE is the original retail version from like 4 or 5 years ago (it kinda worked back then). Anyway if anyone has any further advice for me that would be great.

2. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Not sure if this will help, but are you running Directx (I think 9.0 or better is needed)? I only ask because when I first started ToEE I needed to upgrade my graphics card and drivers to get it to run properly. Give me a minute I'll link to a thread here with the min. system specs.

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't find the exact thread/post I was speaking of. But check out the threads: "Common Issues and Solutions" and "Kaptains Korner" Krunch's thread seems to address your problem more in-depth from my quick perusal of them both. Anyone who's been around here longer may know the thread I was originally talking about.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Just a quick check - have you got NET .2 installed? Are you launching the game via the frontend? Have you tried a no-cd crack (you need the one for patch 2)? Have you tried turning your overclocking off (this is my guess to the cause)? Which version of windows are you running?

4. griff

griff Member

Thanks for the response.

Yes I do have NET 2 installed, I'm running Directx 9c with the most up to date nvidia drivers.

I tried the no cd check and I still get the same result, after the wizards of the coast intro I'm sent back the the dt. I'm launching from the front end, and I restored my processor speed back to factory and nothing has changed. I'm running XP Pro with SP2.

Thanks for any further input!

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Undo the overclock and set it back down to the original frequency.

* For those of you who don't know, OC'd means overclocked.

[EDIT]
    ToEE is not a brand new game and it can be obstinate...sometimes, it just does not like to be kicked or pushed at all.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. Zebedee

Interesting.

I know it's a PITA but have you got the latest drivers for your video card? I'd also check the settings for your video card - sometimes the latest video cards have settings which can make old games a little irritable. Have a play with the settings (I'm guessing if you're capable of overclocking then you know exactly how to do this ;) ).

It might be worth trying another clean install (ie delete the atari/toee folder in it's entirety and then reinstalling).

7. griff

griff Member

Well gentlemen, file this in the WTF folder. I reformatted my HD today and after getting things up and running I decided to give TOEE another shot. To my great surprise it works perfectly :thumbsup: ! Anyway I appreciate your guys input on the matter!

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah, we might add that to the common issues and solutions tread ...

problem; ToEE won't start
    solution; Format HD

;)

9. Zebedee

:icon_chuc

Interestingly, it does seem to bear out the idea that a totally clean install is often essential. I tend to use crapcleaner to make sure (a free programme which hacks the registry for you).

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Isn't 'format HD' step 137 in Krunch's 'totally clean install' thread? ;)

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes it is!.. :p

12. Drizztfan777

Drizztfan777 Dragons Bane

:rant: I have the same problem! But I know nothing about the whole hd thing. So what do I do? Un-install the game and all and re-install? This is my first time trying the mod and I want it to work so how do I do that? I uh didnt install the net 2 tho. My os is vista too. Well help would be welcome! thanks. Rob

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

14. Drizztfan777

Drizztfan777 Dragons Bane

I think that will help. Thanks.

15. Ian Demagi

Ian Demagi Member

I have a very weird things happening.

I reinstalled TOEE on my C Drive. The game works with some qualifications.

1) I can only loot if I use the combat interface
    2) I tried installing the atari patches, and I get the same stupid spinning CD icon and finally a run time error.
    3) I can only have two saved games, If I try to have more than two, TOEE saves over the bottom one in the asved games que.

I have an HP pavallion
    Intel R core dual core 2
    6300 @1.86 Ghrtz
    2 Gig Ram

I can't seem to locate my vid card,but I think it has 128 meg of Ram

NVidea Ge Force 7300GS

any help greatly appreciated, Ian

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
Our Host!