ok finally: Great! But what about this?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by onomastikon, Jul 11, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

I did it! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I had been playing ToEE, but it was simply the patched version the whole time, not Co8 5! Now I got everything reinstalled and started again -- so much better with Co8! You guys are excellent.

I'm only into the game now about 45 minutes, but what is freaking me out is this:

My barbarian level 1 has a strength of 17, and hence a str. bonus of +3. I've been playing with the "rolls" window on, just to check things out, and see that when he makes attacks, sure enough, in the "to hit" window he gets a +3 strength bonus. Fine. But when he hits, the damage is calculated with a +4 from the strength bonus -- always! In every round, no matter what kind of attack he makes. No, he is not in rage. I have screenshots, but I cant figure out how to post them here. He clearly has a str of 17, with a +3 bonus to attack, but +4 to damage. Did I do something wrong?
    thanks tons.

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Umm is he fighting a two handed weapon?
    You see, two handed weapons have a strength
    damage multiplier of 1.5, hence 3x1.5=3+1.5=4.5
    Now, every number in D&D is approximated down,
    so now you have 4. This should answer your question. :)

3. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

In fact, that does, thank you! I had a critical hit when in rage and did +14 extra damage, so I figured sometihng must be up. He is using a greatsword.
    Strangely enough, I do not see that mentioned in the manual. Is this from some rulebook outside of the manual which you folks implemented? Nice job!

4. maggit

This is a D&D 3.5 rule which was probably implemented
    by the Co8. I don't really know 'cause in the days I was
    playing ToEE without patches I didn't know much about
    D&D rules, so it never took my attention. ;P

5. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

maybe I misunderstood Onomastikon's meaning, but the STR bonus to damage should only be applied once on a critical hit. The x2 multiplier means that the damage die is rolled twice (correct?), then the bonuses are added on after that. If he's getting a +14 damage bonus on critical hits... wait, he said he was in barbar rage didn't he? Sorry, continue on. *slinks back into shadows*

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Page 96 of the (my) manual, third bullet point down under Weapons is where you'll find that this rule has been in the game and working properly since the games release.

7. maggit

Hmm... Looked at my manual, and yes... there it
    is. Wow, they (the translators) even got it on the
    same page in my localised manual. :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
Our Host!