Can I fix bugs only with these mods?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Walkin' Dude, Jun 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

How is it I never go near the Codex yet I recognise these folks? ;) (At least Volourn was entertaining!)
    Now now, Al... certainly, leaving aside everything that WB gives us (which IS practically everything for making a complete mod) we can script far more thanks to the cunning Python efforts of CtB, Spellslinger, Ug etc and the oft-overlooked contributions of Darmagon...

...but I still reckon its been by standing on Liv's shoulders. Personally I don't mind saying it.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Livonya did her modding purely by figuring out stuff and scripting before ToEEWB.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Livonya's rank among modders notwithstanding, the larger point is that AlanC9 of the Codex foolishly provided misinformation to the RPG Codex community. It's not particularly significant really, but hell, I think Blue and others here have been at least as familiar with Liv's code as she was - if not more - for some time now. So he's just plain wrong, and yet he's over there holding forth as if he's somehow in the know.

Badger -

You make some fair points I suppose (except I think it's fairly clear that The Walkin' Dude was looking for Co8 patches specifically), but the larger dynamic at play here is the nature of the RPG Codex site itself. I don't know if you're very familiar with them, but, while they do have a number of thoughtful and intelligent members such as Zebedee, Hazelnut, Sitra Achara and others, many of whom are also members and contributors here, they nonetheless have a reputation for unneccesary antagonism amongst themselves - and often directed at others. That sort of attitude rubs many of us here at Co8 the wrong way, because while we produce mods, they only consume them. Any subsequent criticism only for the sake of criticism, or 'kicks,' as Alan admitted to, is a bit much in that light. While any honest opinions people may have about our mods are legitimate, the fact that we have provided them with hours of cost-free entertainment is inarguable. We deserve at least a thank-you for that, and an absence of unneccesary mockery would be nice too.

Zeb's made some good points here as well, and after a bit of reflection I think The Walkin' Dude's references to our material as 'weird' actually speaks more to what is probably not an uncommon condition - that custom mod content is not always of the highest quality. So if based on his experience with other mods he had some reason to believe in general that our stuff might not neccesarily be particularly wonderful, I can understand why he'd only want bug fixes. Hopefully a playthrough of our mod would change that opinion though. :)

That said, I think he has shown some degree of disingenuousness by making those comments at the Codex and then coming here and referencing our mods as 'excellent.' He's puckered up in order to better his chances of getting our help or consideration, obviously. :p

But meh, none of this is really a very big deal. :yawn:

4. Shiningted

And that thoughtful and intelligent fellow Zeb has hit the main nail on the head - the weird stuff is optional anyway.

Although for the life of me I can't see anything weird in the optional content... sugar, anyone? :grin:

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I'd say that Gnarley Woods content... or whatever
    it was called. I mean yeah, we had a new map, new
    cool monsters (Bodaks!). But a witch and a rifle!? That
    just did not appeal to me... and it imbalanced the game
    quite badly.

Bit off topic, though.

I'll just add that you can easily avoid new content, apart
    from some you will really like. New masterwork weapons
    which will let your characters use other weapons than just
    longswords. ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  6. The Badger

The Badger Grumpy Dwarf

i took it as he wanted both - he wanted to run the game patched THEN try the mods (what im doing)
    but "some degree of disingenuousness" is a fair explaination since someone Immediately told him how to do that... 9ie this should have ended on the second post)
    and he didn't LISTEN :)
    and then everyone got all defensive...
    i guess people are thin-nerved from that - and people who don't listen well can get offended when its.. uh.. made embarrassing?
    and then everyone got all defensive...:transform

which is the part i was TOTALLY lost on and said; need a GAEAR to navigate...

Ive done some minor modding-playtest and some OLD QA work; but nothing ever related to RPG; or these people ; or dare i say;
    'cast of characters'

so thanks for the explaination...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm sort of a modder-in-training now that I'm retired(forced). I search the sites looking for downloads, etc, but nothing can touch co8. My Documents is getting bigger,but I've got lots of space. When you're the best you don't have to worry about negative comments from less productive sources. I was wondering why you don't refer Sorcerer's Place to the "newbies" It's really good.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Then you shouldn't be interested in ever playing whichever Baldur's
    Gate it was that had the Machine of Lum the Mad in it; or the PnP adventure Baba Yaga's Hut, which contained a Soviet T-34. For that matter, you can skip Expedition to the Barrier Peaks altogether, which has grenades, lazers, blasters, and all sorts of weird alien weaponry in it from Metamorphasis Alpha. The precedent of having strange artifacts is well established; it's obvious that they can be unbalancing, it's just up to us to make sure they don't become unbalancing...hence the entire rebalancement project. Things like that must have their power(s) limited.

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well... I agree, it is interesting and possible...
    especially with the idea of the multiverse and all...
    but it was a little too exotic for me I guess.
    Oh, I thought that Baldurs Gate had more of
    steampunk-styled technology instead of lasers...
    Come to think of it it might be cool in PnP but, as
    you already pointed out, dangerous for a computer
    game.

Then again, I guess it's a tribute to the modules you
    were mentioning as well as to oldschool D&D players
    such as you, who enjoyed these modules. As a member
    of the new D&D generation I was not even aware of their
    presence, so I guess it's my bad to be so harsh on the
    matter.

PS. Not that I have something against witches, it's
    just the combination of a witch with a rifle may sound
    absurd to an unaware player. ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

One of my favorite 'cursed' magic items in D&D has to be the Robe of Useless Items - in which, hidden in one of it's patches there may be a lazer gun that deals 2d10 damage on a successful ranged attack - batteries not included.

11. The Badger

The Badger Grumpy Dwarf

Re: talk about a lost thread!

but about the tech stuff

i ahd forgotten all about metamorphasis alpha!
    bcas it was just something in my friends collection... never played it :)

and EXPEDITION TO THE BARRIER PEAKS!
    The crashed spaceship 'dungeon'?

but i DEFINITELY recall my copy of DMG having rules for Boot Hill and i want to say-
    was it Gamma world? characters interacting with D&d...

some of the old greyhawk pamphlets have the red/black /white martians in their wandering encounter tables..

and if i recall correctly; isn't OERTH actually a world recovered from a (possibly nuclear)
    holocaust?

so the warhammer series doesn't have a monopoly on weird dimension hopping cross over...

are you guys going to move this thread to genral discussion now?

12. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Weirdo :p

For the record, I love DH.

13. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

I DM'd the original P&P ToEE in the ADD rules. Thanks to a group of imaginative players, it was one of our best campaigns ever. As you can imagine, I was ecstatic when I heard that it would be released as a PC game. Was I disappointed! It was lame and buggy.

Along came The Circle of Eight, to save the day! You've turned a let-down into hours- no, months of fun. All of the "weird" content is great. To desire it's absence is like wanting a Big-mac instead of filet mignon.

I only wish I could do what you guys do; I have many ideas. and I very eagerly await KOTB.

Keep on doing that voodoo that you do so well!

14. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

First: You guys are doing magnificent work with a game I was about trash. Now I'm stashing every spare penny until I can get my comp. again, install ToEE and patch it DL Co8 mods and begin anew. Anyone who wants to try and piss on your efforts clearly has no idea what you've actually accomplished, or they do, and can't stop soiling themselves.

Second: "The savage Coast" campaign setting implemented firearms in a, IMO, balancing and intriguing way. Not that this particularly aids in the current topic, just throwing it in for conversation's sake.

15. Shiningted

Yah... we really should limit the number of bullets the gun gets. I personally wouldn't make it any weaker, just limit the number of shots.

Our Host!